Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub Won't Open With No Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MegamaDev, Apr 12, 2019.

1. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

My work machine is disconnected from the internet for a few weeks. Ever since that began, Unity Hub has been strictly refusing to load--I click the icon, and nothing ever happens, although looking in the Windows Task Manager, it shows Unity Hub processes running (two per click, one at 6.9MB mem usage, the other at 9.4MB, each 0% CPU, Disk, and Network usage).

I hope you guys would consider this a bug. It's not super-critical for me yet, since I can access my main project through Unity 2018.3's built-in launcher, but I know there will eventually be no built-in launcher, and I'd really hate to be completely cut off from my project every time I go on vacation in the future.

Until then, are there any known workarounds? (Keeping in mind, no Internet connection means I cannot install updates.) My version of Unity Hub is whatever the latest release was as of April 8th.

EDIT: Nevermind about the workaround--there's already a perfectly serviceable one built into the editor, in the form of a primitive open/create-project box which reccomends you go install Unity Hub for the best experience. So that's good.

My machine is Win10 x64, and can only access the Internet through Ethernet. (I'm borrowing a friend's Chromebook to post this--this place does have wi-fi.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @MegamaDev,

Thanks for posting in the forums! The Hub should be 100% usable offline. I'm uncertain as to why it's behaving as you describe it. Have you restarted the Hub since you went offline (closing it from the tray menu and opening it again)?

Best,

3. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Yes, I have to restart Hub manually every time I power the computer on. I've closed it multiple times from the Task Manager. It's never gotten to the point where it shows up in the tray menu.

But hey, Hub 2.0 is out today, huh? I know you guys prefer to have bug reports from the latest versions of things, so I guess I'll check back when I get my work machine back to an Ethernet connection.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you! The Hub v2 is still in beta but I would be curious to see if it behaves the same way. Although you probably won't be in the same situation by the time you have it installed. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

5. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Oh, wait, beta. That's right. I must have missed that :)

Anyway, I'm back on Ethernet. Updated Hub to version 1.6.1, installed Hub 2.0.0-beta.3, then tried both to see if the error was still happening.

After closing all running instances of Hub from the Task Manager, I unplugged from Ethernet and tried to turn Hub 1.6.1 on.
    Nothing happened still, but I was watching in the Task Manager, and I noticed: after several minutes of waiting, the 6.9MB process closed, leaving the one which has 9.4 MB of memory usage open alone. On attempting to repeat the experiment, I instead saw a shift of memory consumption: 6.9MB dropped to 6.8, and 9.4MB spiked up to 9.7 and then dropped to about ~9.2. Plugging in while the processes are running does not appear to change anything.

Hub 2.0 gave the same results (except 9.3MB of usage instead of 9.4 on that one process). I didn't try plugging in after booting up Hub 2.0, nor did I try waiting to see what happened after leaving it open for a while like I did with 1.6.1.

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

This is awkward. Perhaps something is preventing your Hub from functioning properly. Could you please report a bug through the Hub's bug reporter and post the case number here? It can be opened from the tray menu. We will have a look at your logs and get back to you once we figured out what went wrong.

Best,

7. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Bug reported. Case number is 148955.

8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you!

PS: You forgot a "1" at the beginning of your case number ;)

9. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

D'oh! So I did. Sorry about that; I thought I might have missed a character.

Thank you so much for all of this.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Alright, so we had a look at your logs and it seems your issue is linked to the way we associate your license to your machine. We're pushing a related fix in the next beta of the Hub v2. It would be great if you could try with Hub v2.0.0-beta.4 when it comes out.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

11. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Tried Hub 2.0.0-beta.4, and it works as it should. Thanks!

12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reporting the issue!

Best,

MegamaDev likes this.
  13. leoamaro

leoamaro

@AbrahamDUnity
    Hello, I'm having the exact same issue (took me long enough to find this relatively old post) but it is quite weird.
    I have no internet connection at home, and I installed the hub and the latest 2019.3 beta on my desktop PC, took me quite some time to get the license up and running with mobile data and everything was ok and offline.
    Next I made the exact same process in my laptop, except that oh! it won't open any window. I looked into the task manager and there were 2 hub processes(?) with the exact same properties as the maker of this thread. A few days later I connected my laptop at a public WiFi and the hub launched nicely. I had nothing to do in the hub so I tried disconnecting the WiFi. After doing so the hub wouldn't open and everything was back as it was before. It is quite weird that the hub runs perfectly on my offline PC. Note: I recently formatted my system drive and installed the latest Windows 10, which is not installed in my PC. I would leave a log file but the hub doesn't generate logs when it doesn't launch. Thanks in advance!

14. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@PixelDashGames what type of license are you using on your laptop? Would it be possible for you to activate a license while using public Wifi and let us know if your Hub is now accessible offline? Without logs it's hard to investigate but if it's license-related it should be fixed by having a valid license -even offline.

15. jonny2027

jonny2027

I am experiencing the same issue in Hub 2.1.3 with a plus license that is active until 18/01/2020. Let me know if you need any log files

16. leoamaro

leoamaro

@AbrahamDUnity haven't had time to try that, will probably do it today. I'll let you know if it works

17. akshaydatar46

akshaydatar46

me too i am facing same problem in Hub 2.2.2 with personal license that active from 14/1/2020

18. leoamaro

leoamaro

Hi, it took me forever to answer, basically because my laptop got stolen and I forgot. Until now I was pretty sure it would be fixed by opening the first time online and activating the license, but according to you it isn't, :confused:

19. leoamaro

leoamaro

Tested it again with latest hub, it needs to be launched with internet but you can disconnect it right afterwards. You could use mobile data tethering for this if you don't have home internet, which is my case and my solution. I have done it a couple of times already and I can confirm it works. I can also confirm that if you activated your license in the hub and some time later you update to a newer version, it will keep launching offline with no problem