Search Unity

Question Unity Hub won't open projects. No known fixes worked. Fedora Linux.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by ratmond, Dec 13, 2020.

1. ratmond

ratmond

When I click on the project to be opened in the Unity Hub, nothing happens. No crashes, no reports generated, no message popups, nada. I've tried all of the following fixes to no avail:
    - Setting all network settings to default
    - Updating my license
    - Making sure no USB devices are plugged in
    - Deleting the Temp folder in my project files
    - Killing all active Unity processes in System Monitor and trying from the beginning
    - Reinstalling Unity in its entirety

May be worth noting that I'm using the exact same version of Unity (2020.1.17f1) as the file requires. Unity Hub version is 2.4.2. It used to work in the past but for some reason it hates me these past couple of days.

Kind of mind numbing that I've been seeing this problem reported since at least 2018, but it's still happening. I need to work on this project to a tight deadline for university, and I'm basically dead weight to my team in my current state.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. I get that it's not the fault of you guys working support. Y'all rock.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, it turns out I can't open any of the projects at all, not just this one. Making a blank project, closing it, then trying to open it again results in the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    median likes this.
  2. ualogic

ualogic

Having the same symptoms on Win10. No reaction after clicking the project in the hub. Was all good just this morning, pc crashed, restarted and then suddenly Unity stopped launching. Can't launch anything from hub, but opening a scene from the project folder launches the latest Unity installed for me. Also this from terminal: "C:\Program Files\Unity Editors\2019.4.12f1\Editor\Unity.exe" -projectPath "C:\Users\User Name\ProjectPath" launches the project, put your Unity path and your project path.

Here are more args in case you need: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

3. ratmond

ratmond

Thank you very much for the advice. Alas, when I try, I get the splash screen for a few seconds before it quits out. Still no errors. o_O

4. gravisxv

gravisxv

Same for me. Manjaro Linux 20.2.

5. chengkachun

chengkachun

same here

6. gravisxv

gravisxv

@chengkachun If you're using Manjaro try this command
    sudo pacman -Syu gconf

Basically unity need gconf to start

vgf89 likes this.
  7. enjoirules

enjoirules

I managed to get the hub to start my projects after starting the projects once in the applicable Unity Editor itself (running the "Unity" executable in the editor's install folder). gconf was also installed in order to be able to run said editors, so it may also have some effect on the ability to start projects from the hub.

8. herufeanor

herufeanor

TL;DR: If you're experiencing this on Win10, try going to the "Add and Remove Programs" control panel, finding "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64)", clicking "Modify" then "Repair". This fixed it for me.

Original post:

I had a slightly different variation of this problem, on Win10. The Unity Hub silently failed whenever I attempted to open a project, exactly as you describe. But following the advice on this thread, I tried to go open the editor directly. I got a series of dialogs telling me it couldn't find MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll.

Some quick checking show these are part of the VS2015 redistributable. Of course, the Unity installation process should be installing any VS redistributables it needs, right? And I'd already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Unity Hub and all the editors. And it worked yesterday anyway, and it's not like the redistributable would just disappear overnight! Though I remembered there had been an overnight restart for a Windows update.

So just to be thorough, I tried going to Microsoft's website and downloading the standalone installer for those redistributables and ... they failed to install, cause it's already there. Which was curious. So I figured I'd try uninstalling them and reinstalling them, but the Add and Remove Programs control panel also allowed me to click "Modify" and then "Repair" on them. And that worked! Unity is now launching properly again.

To Unity support: Seriously consider giving some feedback when this failure happens. The Unity Editor wasn't launching because of missing DLLs, but when you do it from the Unity Hub, the failure is totally silent.

9. vgf89

vgf89

Necro, but on Fedora 36, after installing Unity Hub 3.x from Unity's rpm repo, I had to run
    sudo dnf install GConf2
    for my unity editor to launch. Thanks for the hint!

10. ckhaal

ckhaal

On manjaro too but needed to install gconf via
    pamac install gconf