Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub Won't Open - License + Machine Id Error

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by max_coding13, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. achesser

achesser

+1 for this solution. tried deleting seat, teleding programdata/unity etc...

uninstalling and reinstalling the hub fixed the issue.

2. sstrong

sstrong

Here is what I did to fix it after a Hub 2.2.0 update. I got the "no valid license" message after upgrading to the latest Hub a few days after my monthly license was automatically renewed. I notice that in the license file the expiry is the previous monthly expiry. It seems that Hub doesn't always update this or there is some broken logic that a (new) version of Hub checks this expiry date without validating it correctly against the account details.
    1. https://id.unity.com/account
    2. Sign-in
    3. My Seats, Activations.
    4. Select one that is having issues
    5. Remove selected activations
    6. In Unity Hub, do a manual activation (which requires saving a xx.alf file, signing in to an activation website, uploading that file, putting in serial number, then downloading a new license file).

BigRookGames likes this.
  3. Elecman

Elecman

I had the same problem. There was no option to remove activations in the https://id.unity.com/account site but I did had a collaborate/teams account which I deleted. After that it worked when doing a manual activation.

4. Flavioli

Flavioli

I spent a few hours trying to figure this one out, and neither deleting the license file nor any combination of restarts and reinstalls seemed to work. However, what did work was to turn off my computer's Bluetooth before doing the license activation. If I had to guess, it seems to be confused about the MAC address or some other thing it was trying to use to identify the machine, so it kept creating licenses which it deemed to be invalid for my machine right away.

5. giltedleaves

giltedleaves

+1 to this. I tried everything else mentioned in the thread but this was the only way I could get the Hub to not immediately reject my new license.

6. StarcMade

StarcMade

Unfortunately, none of these solutions worked for me.

7. Tiollo

Tiollo

This worked for me as well, after trying all the other solutions in this thread.
    Thanks for sharing!

8. Etonix

Etonix

.....is it seriously wigging out because I installed a VPN adapter? [dies of laughter]

SO! If you have a VPN connection, you need to copy your machine's primary (physical) MAC address, delimit it with semicolons (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX). Next, you need to start a manual activation, and open the file you saved in your favorite text editor.

Find <Binding Key="5" Value="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" /> and change it to the MAC address you saved earlier. Next, visit the manual activation page on Unity's website (https://license.unity3d.com/manual), upload the file, download the new license, activate Unity Hub, and profit.

9. psynusoidal

psynusoidal

Ran into this issue today after unity crashed in a rather catastrophic manner. Turning off bluetooth before activating my license resolved it for me as well!

10. Mafiru

Mafiru

THIS!!! Thank you!

Etonix likes this.
  11. Gon1801

Gon1801

i im in december of 2019 with a laptop whith windows 10, and i came for the same problem, after update the unity Hub it say "invalid license" in automatic or manual instalation, and it work uninstall and install the Unity Hub, after that i just clic the "activate new licence" button and it work just fine

12. danielo_unity

danielo_unity

Unity Technologies

Recent changes to the hub-licensing module were intended to resolve issues with the wrong network device being selected. If you continue to have issues with this (as of Hub version 2.2.1), please open a bug report so that we can resolve it for everyone (especially those who had problems because of the presence of a bluetooth adapter?!?).
    Please be certain to include the Hub logs, and for this case in particular, we will need to obtain some details about your (hardware and software) networking environment (ipconfig /all, and such).
    Thanks

13. Rimsha123

Rimsha123

I istalled unity 2019.2.15f1 i have to face an issue i activate the license it activated ,but when i wanna create an project it give me a messege as "license is invalid "
    I use window 10

14. StarcMade

StarcMade

Interesting, I wonder if that's what the issue is for me. I ended up uninstalling the Hub, opening 2018 from the Unity exe and then it let me open 2019 without forcing me to install Hub first.

15. Shaun-Peoples

Shaun-Peoples

Yes, the recent changes didn't work. Had support spend about two weeks on this bug - you know what fixed it? Disabling bluetooth, and that wasn't their suggestion but the result of coming across this thread. Be embarrassed over this, Unity. This was very poorly handled.

Etonix likes this.
  16. Mintonne

Mintonne

Unity Hub 2.2.1 has been an utter mess for me. Already filed a bug report (Case 1202681)
    upload_2019-12-17_18-7-20.png

PROBLEMS (All reproduced as I was typing this)
    • It doesn't matter which activation method I use, the license disappears on every restart.
    • Sometimes, the license becomes invalid while the Hub is open. Closing the editor then trying to open the same project fails (I see the Unity editor splash screen for ~2 seconds then it disappears). Only restarting the Hub fixes this (and we are back at problem 1).
    • Sometimes, the Android and iOS platform are disabled. The only way to fix it is to close the editor then restart Unity Hub (and we are back at problem 1)
    upload_2019-12-17_18-22-52.png
    WHAT I HAVE TRIED
    • Uninstall the Hub completely incl. deleting related reg files.
    • Removed the various folders related to Unity Hub (ProgramData/Unity, Roaming/UnityHub & Roaming/Unity Hub)
    • Reinstalled the Hub.
    -----

The only thing that works is disabling bluetooth and staying connected to the same network via the same interface you used to activate the license. Any slight change in your network environment and the license disappears.
    • Enabling the license with bluetooth on. License disappears on the next launch.
    • Switch from Ethernet to WiFi or vice versa on the same network. License gone.
    • Connecting to a different network. License gone.
    • Enabling bluetooth. License gone.
    • Adding/Removing a network bridge. License gone.
    Whatever changes were made in 2.2.1 broke the entire licensing mechanism for me. This was working perfectly in 2.2.0.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  17. AskCarol

AskCarol

Sorry about the issue you're experiencing. Can you try updating to Hub 2.2.2?

Mintonne likes this.
  18. Mattstg

Mattstg

Hey, I'm a teacher for a gaming programming in Montreal. Just wanted to say this issue is very common, out of my groups of 10, each semester at least 0~2 students have this issue. We basically just keep re-installing the license over and over again while restarting the computer until it eventually works. Although it'll usually re-break the same day or a few weeks later (always for the same students).

19. AskCarol

AskCarol

Can you ask those students to run as Administrator and see if that might solve the issue?

20. sergebat

sergebat

Let me chime in and say that I am experiencing exactly this issue. Every day (on PC restart, possibly?) the license is lost, authomatic activation (reentering serial number) works fine, even without removing the sit in the account.

Windows user has admin permissions.

Only thing that changed recently is:
    - Upgrade to Hub 2.2.2
    - Major hardware upgrade, which included motherboard uprgade (which did require revocation of the previous sit and new activation).
    - Enabled HyperV support (to run Android emulator on my new Ryzen CPU), it has virtual network adapter

I'll be happy to send system info privately if this helps.

I have my second sit on old Lenovo x220 notebook, with pretty similar setup. No issues there.

upload_2020-1-24_20-58-15.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  21. jayjona

jayjona

I love Unity... with that said, Unity.... you are killing the product by insisting we use something many of us would rather not use. If the Hub is giving so many problems to many users, please, let us use Unity the way we have enjoyed using it before... without being forced to use the hub. On my end, and perhaps for others, productivity has gone down because of it.
    before, I could open up any version of Unity and get to work. It was a joy.
    Now, Post Unity Hub... I have to troubleshoot what is going on with it now, without even being productive with using Unity in the way its intended.... perhaps its just me....

id0 likes this.
  22. DMinsky

DMinsky

Look like I found at least one case when this issue is predictably reproduced. If initially you install Unity/Unity Hub from one windows account and then open Unity Hub from another one -- you'll get this issue (due the folder read/write rights I think). So at least for me, these steps helped:
    1. Uninstall Unity and Unity Hub with default Windows uninstall mechanism
    2. Delete by hands C:/ProgramData/Unity
    3. Delete by hands C:/Program Files/Unity and C:/Program Files/Unity Hub
    4. Delete by hands C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/Local/Unity
    5. Delete by hands C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/LocalLow/Unity
    6. Delete by hands C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/Roaming/Unity
    7. Install Unity Hub and Unity as usual

23. Pixel2015

Pixel2015

We are now stuck at this as well, nothing helped so far, uninstall, removing seats, manual activation... after last Windows update.

24. chrwoizi

chrwoizi

Thank you! I could not open existing Unity projects because Unity did not acknowledge my license after I changed the mainboard of my PC. This fixed it.

25. Boemak

Boemak

Why do we need these draconian licensing schemes anyway? It worked pretty well before, and now I am in the same boat. I have a VM and when I start Unity trying to load a project, I need to login and all the other stuff. This is just so asinine.

I even pay for the F***ing privilege of it not working.

Edit: I have a third Unity install that I use when running Linux and run a Windwos VM because I just to need to do some development that is easier on Linux and use the Unity editor from inside the Windows VM because it just runs better. Why can't it just use my personal license for this? I have one from 2016 but that just seems to not work.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  26. beniess0815

beniess0815

im not willing to spend a minute with this program when they cant even get this right!

Deleted User likes this.
  27. Altera

Altera

same problem.

28. Lazerhawk1982

Lazerhawk1982

I simply went to the HUB clicked on my initials then Manage License, clicked check for updates got a message saying my license was up to date and it worked again.

29. zx6k

zx6k

Now i let your how to fix problem more details
    open file C:/Users/yourusername/AppData/Local/Unity/Unity.Licensing.Client.log

Find this line

2020-05-01 10:48:11.165 - INFO - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.EntitlementGroupExtensions || MAC address a8:6d:aa:71:00:00 not found on system!
    2020-05-01 10:48:11.165 - WARN - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.EntitlementGroupExtensions || The following fields of
    your context don't match:
    [B] Legacy.MachineBinding5: License value (a8:6d:aa:71:00:00) != Current context (44:45:53:22:12:53)[/B]

In line Current context you can see macadress what you need.
    Next step you need replace macadress in you manual activation license with this instruction
    Regards. Sorry for my English.

30. NeoKuro

NeoKuro

I keep getting this issue. I managed to resolve it myself by jumping through about 17 different hoops short of uninstalling Unity HUB, but considering previous posts say this should have been fixed a year ago this is ridiculous.

Sometimes Unity Hub works fine, but after say a few weeks of not using it, it seems to forget I have a Free License and says no valid license found.

The way I resolved it (roughly - I gave up keeping track and just tried everything) was;

1. Return the license
    2. Close Unity Hub
    3. Open Task Manager and kill the Unity Hub tasks (and the Unity Licensing tasks - basically kill all things Unity)
    4. Go to C:\ProgramData\Unity\ and delete everything in this directory (should be a .ulf file and a text file iirc)
    5. Launch Unity Hub
    6. Reactivate the License

It worked then. It should be noted that I was trying to create a brand new project, and on the last attempt when it worked I first attempted to launch an existing project BEFORE I created the new project. Unsure if it was related to creating a new project or not. Hope it can help some people facing this incredibly frustrating issue though.

31. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear about your frustration, @NeoKuro . It sounds like you recently had a Windows update, which changed your OS identifier key and therefore made your previously-assigned Unity license obsolete. This will happen every now and then. Next time, you can open Unity Hub at the Preferences > License Management screen and click Return License. This will delete the *.ulf file for you and allow you to re-activate your Unity license.

32. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

i fix this problem here

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  33. eatbuckshot

eatbuckshot

I've recently had this issue due to Unity not able to find a network adapter with the mac address that the license entitlement originally was for. No amount of reinstalling unity hub, deleting the programdata\unity\unity_lic.ulf file, manual activation, or removing the seat on unity website dashboard allowed it to relicense.

I discovered this through the logs at
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Unity\Unity.Licensing.Client.log 

Code (CSharp):
    2. 2020-06-16 23:54:05.306 - INFO  - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.EntitlementGroupExtensions || MAC address 12:34:56:78:9a:bc not found on system!
    3. 2020-06-16 23:54:05.306 - WARN  - Unity.Licensing.EntitlementResolver.EntitlementGroupExtensions || The following fields of your context don't match:
    4.    Legacy.MachineBinding5: License value (12:34:56:78:9a:bc) != Current context (1a:2b:3c:4d:5e:6f)
    The log here was relatively useless in determining the cause the failed licensing check:
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

Code (CSharp):
    1. [LicensingClient] ERROR Failed to connect to local IPC
    2. [Licensing::Module] Failed to connect to channel: LicenseClient-vwauser
    3. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched the LicensingClient
    4. [Licensing::Module] Successfully connected to LicensingClient on channel: LicenseClient-vwauser
    5. [Licensing::Module] Successfully launched and connected to LicensingClient
    6. Entitlement-based licensing initiated
    7. [LicensingClient] Licenses Updated successfully in LicensingClient
    9. LICENSE SYSTEM [2020616 16:52:30] Next license update check is after 2020-06-17T22:48:38
    11. Built from '2019.4/release' branch; Version is '2019.4.0f1 (0af376155913) revision 717686'; Using compiler version '191627012'
    12. OS: 'Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 65466 MB
    13. [Licensing::Module] License is not active (com.unity.editor.ui). HasEntitlements will fail.
    14. BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0
    15. No valid Unity Editor license found. Please activate your license.
    16. [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 59401 was selected
    18.  COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    19. D:\Program Files\2019.4.0f1\Editor\Unity.exe
    20. -openfile
    21. D:\dev\unityproj\Assets\Scenes\bootstrapper.unity
    (this was started via opening a scene file which would at least start up and load the project into unity as suggested previously. opening a project through unity hub will just display the splash screen and disappear)

It seems to be that Unity used the MAC / physical network address of the one and only gigabit ethernet adapter built-in to my motherboard, as listed in Window's network connections when granting the license. I had since then added a 2nd usb ethernet adapter and bridged them. After doing so the one and only mac address that Windows would show in
    ipconfig /all
    is the address of the bridge. In windows, a created network bridge will spoof one of the original network adapters used to create the bridge. Which in my instance ended up not being the same network adapter whose MAC address was used for licensing. It turns out the actual order of selecting the network adapter icons in the list in Network Connections when creating the bridge will determine which address is used. Recreating the network bridge by selecting the adapters in a different order yielded the other MAC address which Unity can now find.

The question is.. Why does Unity use the same mac address after so many attempts?

34. HelloWorldToday

HelloWorldToday

I try to activate my license. But it continues to report that the Unity_lic.alf file was invalid.

35. tgaldi

tgaldi

I was having this issue and determined it was caused by having my ethernet adapter disabled.

36. gothicserpent

gothicserpent

This helped me, i was able to find my mac address using ipconfig /all and looking for the value in Ethernet adapter Ethernet: Physical Address. The format is

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : socal.rr.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

eatbuckshot likes this.
  37. NoTuxNoBux

NoTuxNoBux

In my case the problem was MAC Address Randomization being enabled in the Wi-Fi settings, which causes the MAC address in the license file to shift every time.

eatbuckshot likes this.
  38. hippogames

hippogames

The same here, how can you release such a bad quality Unity?

39. DarkVerse

DarkVerse

Same here. Unity's license management is very, very broken. I had a half day to do a quick important update but instead spent that time trying to just open Unity! Website says subscription and licence is valid, hub says it isn't.

ajaxlex likes this.
  40. unity_7thjinviole

unity_7thjinviole

If you are a personal unity user, then your license have expiration date, to reactivate such license just follow these steps.
    Activate New License - > Unity Personal -> I don't use unity in Professional Capacity !
    That's it! Problem Solved. Upvote this comment thanks.

serriffe, icarothomas and andreiagmu like this.
  41. kartoonist435

kartoonist435

How is this still an issue 2 years later.........

42. icarothomas

icarothomas

welp, as someone who is just starting this doesn't feel so welcoming
    upload_2021-3-30_8-10-9.png

43. icarothomas

icarothomas

OhISee I use a VPN so now I know how to deal if I ever get any problems, thank you!

I was able to open the Hub and it said I have no license, which is correct, and I'm able to select Unity Personal on the management of licenses, noice

44. E_Pratov

E_Pratov

I had the same problem just wanted to share my fix. I once established a connection through a VPN while using Unity and now I cannot use unity unless I use VPN. So just think about the programs that you used while working in unity and use them or not depending on the state of the app at the time of the problem.

45. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

@E_Pratov Thank you for sharing your solution in this thread.

I'll close this thread as it's going for some time now.
    If you tried the solutions shared in this thread and didn't work, please log it as a bug using the bug reporter within the Hub or reach out to our Customer Support.
    To report a bug, go to Account Settings > Troubleshooting > Report a bug

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.