Search Unity

Unity Hub Won't Open - License + Machine Id Error

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by max_coding13, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max_coding13

max_coding13

On one of my Windows 10 computers, Unity Hub 1.6.0 and Unity Hub V2 beta no longer open and get into the same circular license error. This began happening since the last major Windows update (1809).
    When I open Unity Hub 1.6.0 it will ask for me to provide license information, and after I provide a valid serial key for my plus account it registers it, moves to a screen saying it was successful, before moving on to do 1 of 2 things: either it loops back to the license information screen again asking me to provide info all over again, or it moves to screen that just says license error at the top. In the online seat manager it registers my computer's seat, and in ProgramData/Unity it builds a license file.
    In the V2 beta it comes up with a slightly different error when I attempt to enter a license - it opens an error toast that says something along the lines of "machine id not recognized".
    I should also point out that it doesn't matter whether I attempt to enter a serial key for my plus account, or click that I'm using just using personal account.

I've tried every conceivable permutation of deleting the license file, removing the seat from the online seat manager, re-building the license, restarting Unity/the computer, all to no avail. I've also completely wiped all Unity files and directories from my computer and tried again, but it didn't change anything.
    The "Machine ID" error makes me think it's an error with the MAC address - and in that regard my only guess is that the MAC address that gets listed in the license file is my ethernet MAC address, but my computer uses wifi (with a different MAC address) to connect to Unity servers. I've tried connecting online with ethernet to rule this out, and it didn't change anything.

The only last bit of info I can give is that if I open Unity directly with 2018.3.12, I can actually get past the license screen into the project list, and actually open projects from there. This works fine except Unity doesn't recognize my plus account, and won't let build projects without a splash screen.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thank you for reporting the issue. Right now, I can't draw any conclusion from the information you provided. Licenses are hardware-bound and issues like this usually happen after a Windows update. Normally reentering your license information should fix the issue. If you submit a bug through the Hub's bug reporter (from the tray menu) we'll have access to your logs and will be able to investigate.

LeviJoah likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry for the inconvenience. Can you send me your

1. Editor.log (c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log)
    2. Hub log (c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs)
    3. Your current license file (The ulf file)

Thanks

Justin

4. max_coding13

max_coding13

Hi Justin, thanks. I'll PM you those files tonight.

5. eranewgames

eranewgames

Developers, do you even test your product before laying out in PROD?
    How is it possible to use UnityHub, which, after registering and choosing a Personal license, issues a License Error .......

6. hgulgen

hgulgen

@mslong Did you find any solution for this problem ?

7. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Just updated to windows 10 april update and I also get this issue. License manager wont open, stuck on an indie license when I have a pro license...

8. hgulgen

hgulgen

@SevenPointRed I can not use unity with hub. There is no chance. It gives error and no support from unity side. I just use like this for now.
    I just installed old version then install new version without hub. It works like that for me.I almost spended a day try to open unity . I tried alot of things.

upload_2019-5-7_18-13-52.png

9. Cinnaspice

Cinnaspice

I'm getting this same problem now ever since updating to Unity Hub 2.0.0-beta.4; previously the hub worked fine. If I restart my computer and try, it works fine once, but the next time I try to use it I get the same problem - it tells me "Error launching editor: license is invalid" and offers the option to Manage License, which takes me to a License page which clearly shows my Plus license doesn't expire for almost a year.

I'm on Windows 7; haven't updated for a long while (as I prefer this version of Windows.)

Please help.

10. Kubold

Kubold

Windows 10 just updated and after this I'm stuck with Unity Personal license.

The Hub does say "Unity Plus license", but when I start new project or open old ones it says Unity Personal, with a totally different license key. Is there a solution?

11. DMinsky

DMinsky

Same here. Current version of Unity Hub is pure #$@&, like the whole idea of editor "hub". I just can't open any project with new version of Unity and Unity Hub only to create a new ones. And the only reason of this is new Unity Hub (and maybe the latest Windows update).

Anyway, @hgulgen's workaround works. You have to install an older version of Unity (2018.4 for example), activate the license, then install 2019 version. After that 2019 wouldn't ask you to install a Unity Hub to activate the license and will work just fine.

Circool, StarcMade and id0 like this.
  12. hgulgen

hgulgen

Thanks I am still afraid to update my unity :) I will try when I am ready to feel lucky @DMinsky

13. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@justinzheng : Did you investigate the logs?
    For everyone experiencing this issue, please send a bug report via the hub and we will investigate the logs. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

14. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

I always keep stuck on this after a windows update.

upload_2019-6-17_7-47-9.png

Nothing works, I cannot click on any of the buttons.

Attached Files:

kiber_ likes this.
  15. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Please. What Can I do? I need to work!

I tried to start the Hub with Airplane mode to try a Manual Activation, but the buttons are still disabled. If I try to load a project, it tells me that My License is Invalid.

16. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

I de-installed and reinstalled Unity Hub. It worked then!

ClayTux, kiber_ and achesser like this.
  17. TonCol

TonCol

Same issue here.. lost a day on this already.. installing old version re: hgulgen's post above. :(

18. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

I had a same error and I solved it with re installing unity hub

19. hello_unity897

hello_unity897

I am having the same Issue on macOS .. I am logged in but i am always getting this stupid error ..

20. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Hi mate have you tried to reinstall unity hub? It solved my problem maybe it can solve your problem too=).Have a good day

MCISMc and unity_1sp12cs067 like this.
  21. pilz3d

pilz3d

I have the Same problem
    I can't open anything anymore
    I pay 125.- per month ...

22. pilz3d

pilz3d

I have installed unity hub but no result....

23. AlterRektMLG

AlterRektMLG

I've tried everything for fixing this.
    I completely reinstalled Windows and formatted everything.
    And still no fix in sight, even after reinstalling windows.

24. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello !
    We are sorry for the inconvenience but please report a bug through the hub bug reporter so we can access the logs and investigate better.
    Thank you !

25. Annas010

Annas010

Glad.., there was another new IDE.., Time

26. wade51

wade51

has anyone sorted out this issue?

27. wade51

wade51

OH! I just did.

28. Beru

Beru

Same issue. I updated to Windows10 and there is no way to activate the license. Neither PRO or Personal...

29. id0

id0

Same s@it. Install win 10, cannot activate license, cannot open project(manual activation). Invalid license it write me, or something like that. What the hell are you doing, unity?

30. unity_seBDlWEE0OhXUw

unity_seBDlWEE0OhXUw

Same thing here. I want to decompile baldi so I can add stuff, but theres an error.
    I am using the free version. Unity_Hub_GNcrRfNRlG.png Unity_Hub_T15btWTmp9.png
    This is my first time using Unity hub and I cant even load the editor.
    I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM!
    I've tried restarting and re-installing Unity Hub, but it cant do it, theres always an error.

31. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

License issues are very specific to individual setups/environments. If you would like us to investigate your issues you need to report a bug and post your ticket number here so we can look at your logs and help troubleshoot your individual problem.

If you are using the Personal edition and your license disappeared or got invalidated after a Windows update please just reactivate a new license from the Hub's license management page. You may need to delete your previous license file manually beforehand. The path to the license file can be found below per platform.

Windows: C:\ProgramData\Unity\Unity_lic.ulf
    MacOS: /Library/Application Support/Unity/Unity_lic.ulf
    Ubuntu: ~/.local/share/unity3d/Unity/Unity_lic.ulf

Bumping this thread will not increase priority as this issue isn't something we can fix for everyone at the same time. We are working on a more convenient global licensing strategy but this will come later. For now we can only troubleshoot issues individually.

I hope this is clearer. Thank you all for providing feedback and following instructions.

Cheers,

32. funx

funx

Is it just me or is Unity as of 2018/2019 turned to sh**t with their licensing system? Failures and errors all over the place so regularly it's hard to say anything other than it's just severely broken. When pay the money it costs, you expect to be able to at least open the software.

33. MarcoPixion

MarcoPixion

After a Windows Secuirty 10 Update I am unable to open my Unity 2019.2.0f1 version (and all the projects connected to it).

What happened was, that when trying to open my project (after the update) I have been told via a popup that Android platform was not available.anymore (no idea why, at all) and I was prompted to fallback on Windows platform or exit Unity.
    I exited Unity. After that, my Unity project doesn't open anymore, and instead, the Unity HUB opens, saying "You have no valid license".

@AbrahamDUnity I tried to search for the Unity_lic.ulf file, but it does not exist on any of our machines (is there any other way to retrieve it somewhere else?) and if I try to activate a new license with the same key, it says that the license is invalid (how can we remove seats from a machine? It used to be possible, before, but now I cannot see where).
    All looks good on the licensing web portal.

What is still working (luckily) is our Windows Server (even if an update was downloaded there as well) and MacOSX machine (used to build respectively for Android and iOS).

We just bought 4 Unity PRO early this month and everything was fine until now.

I hope all the information provided can help.
    Can you support me on this, please?

This is urgent.

Cheers

EDIT1: I tried to revoke the seats assigned to the email address that I am using, and to re assign it from the web portal, but it still doesn't work.
    I even tried to uninstall and reinstall Unity HUB and restart / shut down my machine. No joy

EDIT2: I tried to revoke all my seats, then uninstalled the HUB, then tried a new manual license via request file, and I got a message in the web portal saying that my license expired yesterday. Which is impossible because we purchased 1 year licenses 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    RoseDevelopment and Tanek like this.
  34. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@MarcoPixion,

From the information you gave me I can't pinpoint the problem but I can suggest more troubleshooting steps.

Can you activate a Personal license on your Windows machine?
    If so, does it create a license file in the directory specified above?

Also, make sure you removed "Activations" and not "Seats". This can be done from the Unity ID portal's subscriptions page. From there, you can remove activations at the bottom of the page:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 11.09.53 AM.png

Remove some or all activations if you had not done so already and try to activate your Pro licenses once more. If the problem persists we'll need to consult your logs, which will require you to report a bug through the Hub's Bug Reporter (in the tray menu). Once your report is sent you will receive a ticket number by email. If you post this number here we'll be able to update you once we've investigated.

We're very sorry about the lack of clarity in the license error messages. We'll work on that in the near future. In the meantime I hope this helps.

Best,

35. Crystalline

Crystalline

Unity 2019.3 alpha wont open , saying "No valid editor license found , contact administrator" (older version works btw).

At this point i had so many problems with license not activating/errors that i start wondering what are you guys doing with this piece of software.

36. arvikangas

arvikangas

Hey

I had similar problem. Log for unity hub showed that if failed to read my network adapter mac address.

{"moduleName":"UnityLicenseCore","level":"info","message":"[ 'Cannot find binding5 (MAC Address): ' ]","timestamp":"2019-08-20T13:40:34.443Z"}
    {"moduleName":"LicenseClient","level":"info","message":"[ 'License error: 103' ]","timestamp":"2019-08-20T13:40:34.443Z"}

I tried to look with sysinternals procmon.exe where exactly unity hub .exe it was failing. And it seemed to be fail at reading my dhcp server from windows registry. What does it have to do with mac address... I did not even try to decipher it. On my connection i have no ipv6 support and my isp has some funky setup, maybe i have some really strange corner case.

I activated my unity editor manually from command line

Create licence request file (.alf file)
    "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -batchmode -createManualActivationFile -logfile

Then use https://license.unity3d.com/manual to sign your .alf file.
    Save your signed licence file (.ulf file)

Then use that file:
    "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -batchmode -manualLicenseFile <yourulffile> -logfile

Run your command line client as administrator. For me i tried to create .alf file in same folder as unity.exe and by default you need admin rights for program files folder.

Armynator and AbrahamDUnity like this.
  37. jimgnz

jimgnz

Created new account and went through the activation process for a new personal license. No errors pop up, get a message in the hub saying it worked but can't create a new project because it says there is no license. I've gone to the directory mentioned and there is no license file located there.

The whole license process seems pretty S***ty.

38. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@jimgnz , can you please check the access rights of the directory where the license is supposed to be downloaded ? Or try reporting a bug through the hub bug reporter and we will investigate the logs.

39. Matin-

Matin-

Unity Technologies

@jimgnz We're sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing you. We do have an issue in 2019.3a with regards to licensing. However, the issue you are talking about should be resolved in 2019.3 beta. Are you using the beta version?

Thank you,
    Licensing Team

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

It seems from what i found (on my devices and my team member), after the latest windows 10 update.
    1. almost all of our license are invalid
    2. it seems after the windows update the device considered as a new device

The way we fix it,
    1. remove the activation on license page (on browser not unityhub) for the problematic device, you can check the computer name
    2. remove the local ulf page
    3. reactivate the license.

not sure what did windows do on the update lately, because it seem after each update the license always invalid. Not always happened, but almost everytime, and doesn't happened on all device.

Edit : Oh and additional information we are not using the alpha version, i do have it installed on my laptop, but it's just only me for testing and the rest of my team member are not even installing the alpha version.

41. sixabat

sixabat

I don't know if unity hub checks Network Adapters to detect MAC ADDRESS or something, but After installing VMWare workstation which creates multiple virtual network adapters on my windows, my unity hub says MACHINE ID error or something!.

I use free personal unity licence!

42. sixabat

sixabat

Now i'm sure Network adapters change causes unity hub licence machine id error!

I have a USB Dlink wireless modem device!
    When I de-attach that usb wireless device from my pc, the licence not works. it says invalid machine ID error!

When I connect it and not using the network cable [disable ethernet network adapter device], the hub says you licence is up to date!

I will find a screen recorder program to record my desktop and show it.

ixdeveloper likes this.
  43. JonPQ

JonPQ

installed fresh unity hub, and fresh unity 2019.1.4 on MacBook Pro.
    try to create a new, empty project.... unity won't open saying I don't have a license.
    Why do I need a license to create an empty project ? Does unity free version not exist anymore ?

44. linkinlol

linkinlol

Having the same problem. Search for solution now...

Here's my licensing log. ( don't know if its the log that helps)

Attached Files:

45. dariony

dariony

same here - can't open 2019 editor (can open 2018) without a license error with a valid license! Again can't use the editor at all!

46. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

You need to activate a license even for the personal (aka free) version of the unity.

47. nalexus94

nalexus94

How I solved this issue (it's my first use of Unity at all) for myself - algorithm:
    1. Go to Unity Hub Editor
    2. Go to License Management
    3. Go to manual activation
    4. Save license request file and close manual activation
    5. Go to https://license.unity3d.com/manual OR click on "Unity license Manual Activation webpage" at under "Step 2" on page https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ManualActivationGuide.html
    6. Upload your saved license request file and follow until downloading actual licence file.
    7. Go again to manual activation and use this actual licence file from above.
    8. Done.

Tx, JDeyby and geoinnovacion like this.
  48. ninhnv15_unity

ninhnv15_unity

Here is another easier way, if you guys still can not active license on your current account, you can creat new account and countinue your work.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

The usual fix for this problem is deleting Unity_lic.ulf in C:\ProgramData\Unity; the Hub will recreate it when you restart it. Don't forget to quit the Hub from the tray before or after deleting the file.

ConAim and JDeyby like this.
  50. JDeyby

JDeyby

upload_2019-11-18_17-20-42.png

unity_IHPRNwoTWaQMGw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.