Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub won't create new project

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by candersontyler, Apr 29, 2020.

1. albertputinjobs

albertputinjobs

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    woojing likes this.
  2. LordCail07

LordCail07

FWIW: I had the same bug in Unity Hub 3.3.0
    1) Tried right-click Unity Hub and running as Admin but didn't fix it.
    2) Still running as Admin: Went to Hub > Preferences > Changed default project location > Tried creating new project and changing the location to the desired folder and it worked!

3. zeroexu

zeroexu

I was with the same issue. Solution:

Install 2022 version (currently the default version is 2021)
    Create a new project
    * Here the Program request Liscense
    You set your Liscense.
    Choose the new project
    Unity Works!

4. kapi3112007

kapi3112007

I had the same problem and it worked after I returned my licence and activated it again, similarly to how zeroexu fixed it, but unity hub behaved like I had the licence and only unity itself had some problems with it, which it showed in logs.
    (C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log)

5. ddc5276

ddc5276

If anyone is still seeing this on a Mac, I was able to resolve the problem with a complete uninstall and reinstall of Unity/Unity Hub. Just make sure you get rid of everything in the /Applications folder related to unity as well.

I also ensured I used the latest Hub install for the website.

6. Redsvn

Redsvn

Thanks!!!

7. woojing

woojing

I've solve this by install vc redistribute package.
    in my case I used 'choco' to install that.
    choco install vcredist2013

8. lowdingtv

lowdingtv

For me that thing worked!
    Thank you,
    I struggeled hard with this problem...

9. abysslover

abysslover

In my case, refreshing the license by clicking "Preference -> Licenses -> Add" solved the problem. License re-activation may help your Unity to set up the identiy of the user.

malik1 and DigitalAdam like this.
  10. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

This worked for me when trying to create a new project for 2021. Creating a project for 2022 had no issues, but for some odd reason 2021 wouldn't work. Even trying to load a 2021 project wouldn't work either. Anyways thanks for the tip!

11. mincrafterthebest

mincrafterthebest

it keeps saying project failed to open

12. malik1

malik1

1. Reinstall Unity Hubs
    2. Preference -> Licenses -> Return License
    3. Preference -> Licenses -> Add

13. kiralpoon

kiralpoon

I had the same problem on my external drive.
    Did a lot of methods and testing
    At the end, I turnt off the UAC
    1. Open Control Panel on Windows 11.
    2. Click on System and Security.
    3. Click the “Change User Account Control settings” option.
    4. Select the Never notify option using the slider to disable the UAC feature
    After that I was able to create project in the external drive.
    Good luck for everyone

14. JigzSaw

JigzSaw

I am starting to learn Unity and had a similar problem using an older version of Unity Hub. I updated to the latest version and installed LTS versions 2020.3.44f1 and 2019.4.40f1. I tried creating a new project for the FPS Microgame learning template using editor version 2020.3.44f1 but Unity Hub won't create the project. I tried again using version 2019.4.40f1, this time it worked. I read from NickMagg's post at https://forum.unity.com/threads/no-microgames-templates.1023604/ that "The Lego Microgame is currently only available on 2019.4 LTS". Thanks for that nickMagg.

15. PlatinumDeveloper

PlatinumDeveloper

thats so much work to re-install all the huge files and it will take another half-hour for my mac.

16. Energy_Focus

Energy_Focus

I use a laptop so I don't have a LAN cable. I use WI-FI at all times. The same issue is occurring with me, so I do not know what to do. I have tried uninstalling too.

17. dongon3000

dongon3000

It helped me, thanks a lot

18. UTYD

UTYD

I had the same issue but with the newer version of unity hub, and i just deleted unity hub from my whole pc and the reinstalled it from their site and it works

19. Generas

Generas

My Solution was so obvious but hard to see even when it was right before me.
    When Starting a new project in the Hub, select the newest Editor you really have installed now ( middle of the Hub window above the templates) as of registry entrys are older installed versions to see and choose here but it will fail if you choose an editor you havent installed at this moment.
    default was set to the 21 editor from an older install. so i just had to set it to the 22 editor, and voila, project folder created.
    Hope that helps someone.

20. unity-slash

unity-slash

I was finally able to solve the problem, for those who have a linux operating system, in my case it is because I did not have a linux library, the new versions of Editor 2020 and 2023 worked perfectly but the old versions like 2018 did not work for me, and I got the error that has given everyone (that the project directory does not exist after supposedly having created it).

So I checked the error log json file but nothing helped me from there, just validate that the same thing happened, that It couldn't find the directory.

So I decided to run the editor from the console to see if it would throw error messages to the console and Eureka! Finally, the error appeared (unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot), the application couldn't find the library libgconf.2.4.. etc, so I installed the library and now it works for me even from the Hub!

To run the editor from the command line, do the following:
    cd "/<directoryInstalledEditor>/2018.4.36f1/Editor/"
    then
    ./Unity

Attached Files:

21. Newb_Ninja

Newb_Ninja

Reinstall worked for me

22. Pharaz4

Pharaz4

From u/sciencepatrol73 on reddit
    1. Return the license via Manage Licenses in Unity Hub

2. Add it again

3. Refresh the licenses (not sure if this step is needed)

4. create new project...

Vhalen likes this.
  23. computergame8880

computergame8880

Might be compatibility with your OS? I was having the same problem when trying to create and open new projects with an editor that wasn't compatible with my OS, so I changed editors and it works now.

24. nyawallow23

nyawallow23

Me too.

25. XIGN443

XIGN443

In my case:
    This issue is solved when change Unity Editor version 2022.3.8f1 to 2021.3.30f1.

26. Desarius

Desarius

I am experiencing the same problem from 2022.3.8f1, and nothing seems to solve the problem.
    I am on Windows 11, tried disabling ACL and Administrator permission and any other thing in this thread, nothing solves.

Installing unity 2022.3.8f1 standalone apparently make it work but disables part of it like all module expect from Windows and Server is unavailable

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  27. Desarius

Desarius

This problem is also happening in 2022.3.9f1 in equal manner in creation of new projects and opening of already existing ones.

28. cart2015

cart2015

Any one if you want to fix this error.
    1. Use Unity Personal License on Manage License
    2. Restart Unity Hub and Editor Again
    3. Create New Project Then works.

Ask any other question

29. JonnyGTV1

JonnyGTV1

Same here, only mine says it can’t create the project . image.jpg I have had this problem for a long time and I tried:

Updating unity

I am also on a windows 10

Changing the file location

Opening as admin

And using different versions of unity.

In the end none of them worked and this has happened over 5 months, got my dad involved too.If there is any way to fix this please tell me.

30. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Try setting your Documents or Desktop as the location, and make sure to use a simple project name like "test".

If this doesn't work either, check the Hub's log file for indicators. And double-check that the logged in user (egulb?) has "full control" permissions and is the owner of that folder.

For example, here's the Security and Security => Advanced settings for my Documents folder, CodeSmile is my username:
    upload_2023-12-19_11-26-57.png

If this looks alright, uninstall all editors and then the hub, then re-install and use the default install location (C:\Program Files ..).

And be sure NOT to "run as admin", neither the installer, nor the Hub, nor the Editor. Unity never ever requires "run as admin"!

It's advice that used to be frequently necessary over 10 years ago but still sticks around in people's minds despite applications that require it being extremely rare these days. Doing so can actually cause complications in the first place, in a way that they stick around. Like the installed application henceforth using incorrect paths, permissions, ownership.

judesidloski likes this.
  31. ScottPepe

ScottPepe

Unity Hub 3.7.0 2_12_2024 12_13_17 PM.png

change this setting and it should work, if not good luck, and I think Unity is probably gonna die soon, if i was less stubborn i would move to UE5 now, but i not.

bugfinders likes this.
  32. SLyArt

SLyArt

Hi All - I have the same problem. Running on Windows 11. Unity cannot create a new project. I've uninstalled an older version of Unity, cleared out the recycling bin, removed the license & re-added it, uninstalled and re-installed this new version and it still does not work. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

33. bugfinders

bugfinders

are you sure you selected an organisation?