Search Unity

Question Unity Hub v3 showing black screen on Mac (help please!)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by BoudewijnB, Jan 13, 2022.

1. BoudewijnB

BoudewijnB

Hi,

Since this morning my Unity Hub auto updated itself (I presume) to V3.0.0 and now my Unity Hub is no longer functional. When I open the app I only get a black screen that I can't interact with. I'm on macOS 10.13.6 - High Sierra.

Have been going through the forum, seen other people with the same complaint, but haven't found answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I need to get started on a project asap and also need a newer Unity version, besides the 2019 version I'm using. I need to either get this version of Unity Hub working or be able to roll back to an older Unity Hub version - but as far as I'm aware that's not possible.

I hope someone has a fix for my problem.

Link to the output from the info-log.json file on Unity Hub startup: https://hatebin.com/ukggkkpjpo

Thanks,
    BB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

With the v3 I thought it wasn't working either (black screen) but in fact it really only took a really freaking long time to load. Then I had another slew of problems with license activation, but that's a different thing.
    How long have you let it run?

3. BoudewijnB

BoudewijnB

Hmm, I've had it run for at least 20 minutes. How long was long in your case? I feel like that's not the problem in my case but I'll try and let it run even longer.

4. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

Oh, ok, no, it took a few minutes but not 20. Though the first couple of times I thought it was stuck as it looked like it was doing nothing, so I closed it. Then one more time I opened it, let it ran and after a while the application drew in focus by itself (I was in a different desktop space and got pulled to the one where I had launched it). But yeah, 20 minutes is definitely beyond. Sorry I can't be of help.

5. forzabo

forzabo

yeah, the new hub is a frigging nightmare. Also on macOS. It took forever to go from black screen to stuff. Now I can't enter my serial -- it says its not valid and when I try the other method (activate with a license request) the link 503s. Is it possible to go back to the old hub? This is ruining my day.

6. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

for that problem check this other thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub-3-0-0-cannot-activate-licenses.1223058/

forzabo likes this.
  7. forzabo

forzabo

I was able to downgrade to 2.3.2 which supports Editor 2019.4.xx (LTS), which is what my current projects are on.

here's the wayback link:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020081....cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/UnityHubSetup.dmg

8. WayneJP

WayneJP

Also on windows10.

9. BoudewijnB

BoudewijnB

I really hope somebody from Unity can help me out here...

10. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Could you please attach the output of your info-log.json?

11. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

Is there anything special you need to do to download from archive.org? I've been seeing people post links like yours, but when I visit the page, it's just a blank white page with nothing downloading.

EDIT: I was able to download 2.4.5 using
    wget
    in WSL. I'm all set now.

forzabo likes this.
  12. BoudewijnB

BoudewijnB

Yes, of course. Here's the code output from the info-log.json file when I startup Unity Hub: https://hatebin.com/ukggkkpjpo

I hope that this information is sufficient, if you need anything else, please let me know and I'll provide it. Whatever is needed to fix this problem asap!

Thanks in advance.

13. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

Same screenshot as @BoudewijnB .

Logs attached to this reply.

Attached Files:

14. phpboy

phpboy

same issue as well

15. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Just updated today on Windows and same issue here.. good ####ing software

16. alperen-adastec

alperen-adastec

I just had the same issue, just run the Uninstall.exe in your hub folder and download it from the official site again and it now opens with the projects in the list.

17. IronHelmet

IronHelmet

Looks like I have the same issue windows 10.

Worked for a few weeks, but I installed unity at home and activated a personal license there which I think broke my work machine.

18. vozcn

vozcn

I had the same issue on mac. Uninstalling and reinstalling unity hub didn't work. Fixed after updating mac OS.

19. Mett_1

Mett_1

I still have this issue on Mac, did anyone discover a solution downgrading hub version didn't work for me

20. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

For me, I left it open on the black screen and went and made a coffee. When I came back it was open and working. Magical Coffee!.

21. TheSnooze

TheSnooze

22. gypynkt

gypynkt

I'm having the same black screen issue again on windows 10 with hub 3.1.2 since end of last week. Unlike before now even reverting to 2.4.5 doesn't help much because the log in window doesn't load there either.

23. yokitc

yokitc

For my case on mac, I used to install unity hub in one account and now having the black screen issue when i am using another account.
    So I uninstalled the unity hub in the previous account and installed again in the current account.
    Problem solved. It is normal now... finally...

24. CrystalDynamo

CrystalDynamo

Yep same thing today. I reset a 2015 MAC to factory and loaded MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 , 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 Gig RAM, 1 Terabyte drive. This mac is like brand new out of storage from 2015. Everything else works a treat on the clean mac which was used for only about a month in the past and has been in the cupboard. I was moving from my laptop to it. Downloaded the hub to install unity and I also get the blank screen. I am Leaving it for 1/2 an hour to see if it loads like the ones above that took like 20 min. As a software developer I am not sure why software like this has such major problems. Don't get me wrong I love unity but sometimes developing loaders to make life easier are way over thought. I hope this works I'll go make a coffee.

EDIT : No such luck after an hour. All over some installation program. Ohh well now I am up for $2,877 - $3,838 for latest model MAC mini or iMac 24" I suppose sigh. Silly thing is my 2015 laptop runs unity hub no problems its just falling apart. I see no reason why this mac won't run the Unity Hub. Dammit I wanted to save my money.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  25. ArthurHaleta

ArthurHaleta

On Windows 10 I just ran the Unity Hub set up again, and that seemed to work just fine.

26. dvelasco

dvelasco

I had to do the following:

1) uninstall all Unity versions, and Unity Hub
    2) erase Unity and Unity Hub folders from C:\Program Files
    3) erase Unity and unityhub-updater from C:\Users\(your user)\AppData\Local
    4) erase UnityHub from C:\Users\(your user)\AppData\Roaming
    5) type in regedit on the windows search box, to start the Registry Editor
    6) comb through the registry and erase all keys pertaining to "Unity Hub", or "Unity". Careful with this one, as some other keys are "Comunity" (you don´t need to erase those)
    7) download the bloody Unity Hub installer again
    8) reboot
    9) re-install it. THAT worked for me :)

27. maxgrafqmul

maxgrafqmul

After a lot of head-scratching this is how I resolved it for unity hub 3.3.0 on macOS:

1) Reset NVRAM and PRAM
    2) Reset SMC

Hope that may help someone in the future :)