Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub v2.0.0-beta versions feedback thread

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Mar 25, 2019.

1. dri_richard

dri_richard

First few things I noticed (and obvious UI stuff will always affect my impression of a product before I dig into functionality):
    • Maybe it's a high-DPI issue but on my system I have to resize the window to over 1400 pixels wide to get the Unity Version and Target Platform column contents to display in full.
    • Column widths aren't remembered
    • The Projects / Learn / Installs pane is unnecessarily wide
    • Animations when clicking the above, or the 'more details' icon on a project, are distracting and slow interaction.
    thanks

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Hyp-X We consider "f" versions to be releases. Perhaps it's not 100% accurate.

Yes, we were notified last week in this post. We are working on it. It's a problem related to Hub/Unity communication and does not affect Editors in the 2019 series. For earlier versions please use Hub v1 for now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@APSchmidt For now we take the latest version available to launch the tutorials. We will probably find a better solution in the future.

@rsodre We should have an option for controlling this behaviour in the future.

@dri_richard Thanks for pointing these out. We will iterate on the design to address most of what you mentioned. Stay tuned.

3. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Hub 2.0 is using a lot more ram than 1.0.
    It's always sitting at exactly 1,004.9 MB it never gets higher or lower than that.

Would also be nice if it can remember the window size as others have mentioned. The default size makes things a bit cramped so having it wider is more pleasing to look at and work with.

Looking forward to future releases, especially the version with the project thumbnails.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's doesn't use that much in my case.

Capture.JPG

5. dri_richard

dri_richard

Still, something's wrong if a complex application uses less memory than its launcher.
    UnityHubMemory.PNG

6. any_user

any_user

Not sure if this has been mentioned already: Unity hub 2 doesn't show path names anymore, which makes it very hard to distinguish between projects.

We often work with projects that have a "unity" subfolder (because there are some non-unity things in the repository). Unity Hub 1 at least showed the paths of the project, but now in the new beta there's no way anymore to understand which project I'm opening, without hovering over each one with the mouse.

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 14.23.34.png

The same problem already existed before in the dock dropdown:
    Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 14.28.16.png

MegamaDev likes this.
  7. JakHussain

JakHussain

One thing that I've noticed with the new UI is that it's VERY reminiscent of the Google Material Design style. So now we have this, the UI style of the account management/project services web pages and the upcoming new flat design of the editor and none of these 3 seem consistent with each other. Of course its about functionality first, but I would've thought that a company like Unity would maintain a better and stricter consistency between these parallel developments. It's like the company itself doesn't have its own internal style guide and instead each team does what it wants in isolation. I love this new UI for what it is, but I just wanted to give my two cents on this broader concern I have.

transat likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Actually it does. You must hover the mouse pointer over the name of the Unity version that your project is using. It would be more logical that it shows when you hover the mouse over the name of the project but I guess that this will be fixed in the future; at least I hope. @AbrahamDUnity

Sans-titre-1.jpg

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm going to be totally honest here: I usually don't mind change but I personally dislike pretty much every change so far in the Hub 2. Almost everything has been changed to have worse UX for power users and I don't like it :(

Just to not rant without context:

- Please add preferred editor back, it makes zero sense to force the default to newest as people have different requirements. In case people have experiemental/alphas installed, putting new projects to default to them for all users isn't great design (to give an example, imagine people who installed experimental DXR editor which shows up as 2019.2.0a5 in the Hub, this definitely wouldn't be people's go-to editor for new projects in general).

- Please don't waste all the space with whitespace. It's bad enough that you waste all this space for nothing, but you can't even fit the dropdown menus on the project list there because of it... Example image here:

- The Unity version and target platform dropdowns don't fit to the reserved space: this is a minor thing that will clearly be fixed. But right now to fix this you have to resize the Hub to see these fully which is fine but: Hub doesn't remember the size on next time you launch it and it's same thing all over again.

- Please add the path back in the main project list. As a person who has a TON of projects and some of them are from Unity with less descriptive names (ECS Samples main project is just called "Samples"), having the full path is mandatory to know what is the right project you are looking at. Don't force people to hover over each project individually to find which one they want to open. And most importantly: Don't put it in incredibly annoying popup like this that flashes around to fix this bad UX design:

If you really have to have a tooltip here, swap it with the Unity version as that's way less important information for the user (but I really dislike the popup flashing personally).

- The version and target dropdowns in the project list..... I get it's convenient here but it's also kinda pointless to have and wasting space, especially the target one (why it's even on the Hub in the first place? why would people set the target on the hub?). But also why put the version dropdown here so that people can accidentally click it? The version thing I can get to some extent but I honestly don't understand the target being here.

- Please put the create new project dialog like it was: let people pick the new projects engine version from the Create dialog itself. Now you've complicated this for no good reason on Hub 2 by hiding the feat in a dropdown next to New. I dunno why UX designers love these dropdown menus, I personally dislike them as they usually just add extra clicks and hide valuable information and just make people jump around to find what they really want. Just put the Unity version selection back on the create dialog where it was and it's fine again :)

- Why Open project was changed to Add? This again, just adds more clicks. I can't think many reason why anyone would add projects here without wanting to open them. Less clicking around = better.

- Project names are now in smaller less bold font, making them blend more into the background. People like me use the Hub most of the time to launch projects, I want to see them clearly, not so that they are blended away. Hub 1.6 did this fine, in fact, hub 1.6 did everything I listed here better :)

Noisecrime, transat and MegamaDev like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, I just installed 2019.1.0f2 and the Hub shows the message again. When I try to install kb2533623, I get a message from Windows Update Installer saying that my computer doesn't need that update.

I created a dummy project with 2019.1.0f2 and the package manager is there. What features could I be missing in the editor?

Capture.JPG

11. toth3max

toth3max

I like the feature with icons to show which platform support are installed for each Unity version (Android, iOS...). But I'm missing icons to show that PS4 and Switch platform support are installed.

12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

It's obviously weird in this context but closing the main Hub window drops down the memory to its lowest. So when you're not using the Hub it shouldn't take up too much memory. Also what was the state of the Editor when you took the screenshot? 88MB sounds suspiciously small ;P.

We're actually aligning with the Material Design Guidelines not only for the Hub but for all other design aspects of Unity. If you see mismatched styles being used right now it's because the different teams aren't rolling out the new designs at the same time (unfortunately). Also some parts of the Unity ecosystem are going through transition phases so as not to confuse users. In the medium/long term you should see much more consistent design and interface :).

Actually the hover is supposed to be on the project name but as I tried it just now I can see it is a little glitchy. We'll have a look at it.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seemed obvious to me; that's why I wrote "It would be more logical that it shows when you hover the mouse over the name of the project but I guess that this will be fixed in the future;...". ;)

14. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Update on the Ram situation. It seemed to be something weird. When I posted about the usage before, I just installed 2.0 for the first time. The ram stayed the same no matter how many times I closed and reopen it. (completely killing the processes)

After a few hours, it went down and it hasn't been over 130 MB so far (been exclusively using it since) so not sure what happened there.

15. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

We really thank you for this rich feedback and we will try to adress each point seperately,
    So, for the spaces, good news ! we are managing them better in the beta 4 by avoiding some of the space between the tabs list and the projects table but you should not forget that some space is needed however because of the preferences page (where one tab's title is quite long "license management"). These changes made it possible for the platform and the version dropdown to be fully displayed. The other spaces are needed for visibility reason, we cannot make the UX that busy.

16. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, starting from the hub v2, the default editor would fall to the latest installed one you have on the hub since you have the dropdown to choose easily the wanted editor to open your project with.

17. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Other than the upcoming correction of the dropdowns text display in hub beta 4, a future feature is planned for the memorization of the size and the position of the hub from the last use.

18. llutman

llutman

The project list in the beta no longer shows the path to the project – this is a deal breaker for me.

Our projects are structured like:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. /MyProject
    3.     /NonUnityStuff
    4.     /MoreNonUnityStuff
    5.     /Unity
    6.         /Assets
    7.         /...
    Where `MyProject` is the root of the repository, and there's some extra stuff outside of the Unity project folder. Without the seeing the path (or a having some way to label or rename a project) in the hub, all of my projects look identical.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 2.23.12 PM.png

The only way to see which project is which is to mouseover the title (which now shows the path).

The problem is compounded by the fact that there's no way to remove anything from the project list (this drives me nuts). At any time, I have dozens of Unity projects on my machine (prototype projects, archived projects, a few active projects). Being able to mark a project as a "Favourite" and then filter the list to only show my favourites would be a big improvement.

Noisecrime and MechEthan like this.
  19. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@llutman : As you said, the projects' paths are visible on hover but we will consider your suggestion of putting it back in the project name cell since a lot of users are asking for it. However you can always click on "show in finder" to look better at the location of your project. As for the "remove project" feature, it's planned for future releases.

Deleted User likes this.
  20. hansmbakker

hansmbakker

On Windows, why don't you simply give us MSIX installers or release the editor through the Microsoft Store?
    I don't want to use such an "Editor management tool"...
    I just want a clean installation of the programs I use.

MegamaDev likes this.
  21. Wei-Lin-D

Wei-Lin-D

Please make it possible to remove projects from the project list, please!!

22. As an alternative solution you could allow us to give "screen name" for our projects here, which can be stored in the project file and you do not have to use it anywhere else (you can if you want in Unity's title bar). This would allow us to differentiate our projects without the need to rename folders on the disk. The hub would have a settings to show either screen names and if there isn't any, the folder name.

23. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello, this is a planned feature but if it's a big handicap, try to change the location of the project you want to remove from the hub, then on the next launch it won't be visible in the hub projects list.

Deleted User likes this.
  24. MechEthan

MechEthan

*raises hand* I definitely want "Target Platform" as a drop-down. I'm constantly toggling between Android and iOS targets -- Launching into the correct target is SO much faster than launching into the wrong one, waiting for it to finish, and then finally switching in the Editor.

HOWEVER, I'm 100% ok with the drop-down not living right there. It could just be a label indicating the current Target -- I'd be happy to have an "Open As..." button on the far right instead, and have it pop up a dialog w/ the 2 dropdowns like clicking "..." in Hub v1 currently does.

@safaGH Why can't Hub (still) determine and display what the current Target Platform is?

upload_2019-4-19_13-58-24.png

25. a1-programmer

a1-programmer

I'm liking the 2.0 Beta so far! One thing I was hoping to see is the ability to update an existing installation to add additional features (such as install the Android SDK / NDK).

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

What then? The editor would no longer be free since M$ would have UT pay for putting their engines on their store.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Where is the list stored so that we can modify it manually? In the registry?

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can already do that. Click on the three dots drop down menu on the right of your install and select "Add modules".

Capture.JPG

Capture_2.JPG

safaGH likes this.
  29. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Currently, the Hub is unusable for me (Windows 10). When I set the Unity editor to "Run as Administrator", Unity hub can't open Unity anymore, even if I start the Hub as administrator as well.

But if I can't start Unity as administrator, Unity is unable to open Visual Studio and always opens files in notepad.

That's just no way of working and a problem that seems to have been existing at least for at least a year. Somehow can't believe that hasn't been fixed. Is no one using VS and Windows 10? Or is it just a problem that doesn't occur on all systems?

A fix would be highly appreciated!

If it isn't too much work, couldn't you at least please add back the project selection window to the standalone editor until this is fixed?

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I use VS but I'm under W7, so...

Did you try the Hub v.2 beta? It's functional, just have some design flaws and needs getting used to it. ;)

I don't understand why you want to start Unity and the Hub as administrator though. I just tried that and nothing wrong happened.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, still searching for that list, I did an experiment.
    1. I quit the Hub from the tray,
    2. went to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming" and deleted the "Unity Hub beta" and "UnityHub" directories,
    3. I started the Hub.
    After starting the Hub, I first chose the install path for the editors I'm using first and I logged in; immediately the Hub "remembered":
    1. the list of projects that I had recently opened,
    2. what versions of Unity were installed and where.
    From this, I gather that these informations are stored either in the registry or on some cloud. So far I have found nothing in the registry.

32. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't work with the beta, nor the official current version.

I want to start Unity as an administrator, because else, when I try to open a script in Unity, Unity is not able to open VS (which needs administrator rights) and instead just opens the script in notepad.

33. hansmbakker

hansmbakker

(offtopic) it is quite childish to keep writing things like M$. Maybe that was cool for kids in the 1990s? Let's keep the discussion constructive. (/offtopic)

As for the payment statement, I believe you are wrong. Developers can put something in the store without needing to pay for it. They (UT) can also set a price for their apps and in that case a percentage will go to the store owner (Microsoft in this case, would be the same with Apple or Google or Steam) but if Unity would be put for free in the store then they also would not need to pay for it. Subscription models can go outside the store as they already go, or via the store. Again - up to the developer.

And if developers do not want to use a store or want to develop their own store, then on Windows they can still build installers based on MSIX technology, so that their apps (e.g. Unity Editor) will install and run from a "package" with a local registry, so that it will upgrade and uninstall cleanly. Much better than the old style installers that would have permission to write everywhere on your computer and pollute your registry.
    You could compare it to a "snap" package that is common on Linux.

Both the store and MSIX installers can make the life of end users easier.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  34. Brathnann

Brathnann

I don't personally want to hover over the name of each project to figure out what it is I'm looking for. Work requires stuff to be under a "Project" subfolder, so I just see Project repeated over again in the list. Hopefully a nickname feature is in the works, so we could give it a name in the Hub to display.
    Now the latest project is always at the top which helps, but still would be nice to easily tell which project is what at a glance.

The delete feature in the hub for me at least isn't about deleting the project, but more of a remove from list. If I do an experimental project, I want to keep the project, but not necessarily want it sitting in my list.

The installed editor list looks neat, but several of the platforms don't have unique icons. Example being vuforia, FB gameroom, webgl. Would be nice to have different icons, again just for the at a glance.

Otherwise, it seems to function just fine. I'm just sticking with the v1 of the hub as it's just easier to see what project is what for now.

MegamaDev likes this.
  35. Brathnann

Brathnann

Use win 10, Unity, and VS at work on several computers and at home. No issues like you describe. This should be setup in your Unity Preferences and make sure you have the Unity tools installed with your VS. I wonder if the file association in Windows could be doing something weird for you, as it could be association .cs files with notepad for some reason.

Also not running the Hub as admin. Have never needed to.

36. hansmbakker

hansmbakker

Reason for me wanting to install Unity without the hub and preferably through a store: I do not like that every larger software house (Autodesk, Adobe, Unity, several game publishers, NVidia with "geforce experience") tries to push their own "Hub application" with their own update mechanism --> it feels as if for every app I want to install I need another (redundant) app to maintain it.

Besides being redundant, they get in my way. More often than not these application manager apps have a subpar experience and vendors seem to reinvent the wheel.

I prefer a good platform integration. Both Windows and macOS provide a store with an update mechanism, and with options for providing beta test functionalities.

A project chooser (one of the Unity Hub usecases) could/should be part of the Unity editor itself.
    For the installer part: for a newcomer to Unity it feels questionable why you would need to have more than two versions of Unity (a stable version and optionally a beta version).

MegamaDev likes this.
  37. Brathnann

Brathnann

38. Brathnann

Brathnann

Depends on where you are developing. We work with a lot of clients, so we may have a project in an older version of Unity that we keep a project in. But we're certainly not going to keep new projects in older versions. Or you may have an asset/plugin that is in an older Unity version but not updated so you maintain the project in whatever version it's in.

I have several editor versions at work for different projects.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

You didn't need to write this if you wanted to keep the discussion on topic. M$ is a handy shortcut that everyone understands; I'll use it as often as I want.

All the posts about putting Unity on a store, whatever the store, are off topic anyway. This thread is about Unity Hub v.2 beta, how it works, what it looks like, how functional and practical it is, not about decisions Unity Technologies are taking about how they decide to distribute their engine.

Consequently, this post, and mine before, is also off topic.

Now, let's actually get back to the topic and tell here your feedback about Unity Hub v.2 beta.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

41. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

Thanks for the help.
    Unity preferences are set up correctly, Unity VS Tools are installed as well and *.cs files are definitely associated with VS. The problem really is, that we can't start Unity in administrator mode from the hub.

Most of my work related projects require me to start VS in admin mode, which is why I set to start VS in admin mode by default.

The problem however is, that Unity can not open VS if VS is set up to start in admin mode by default and Unity itself is not run as admin.

Without Unity Hub, the following can be observed:

• If VS does not start in admin mode by default, scripts that I open in Unity get opened in VS no problem, no matter what mode Unity itself runs as.
    • If VS opens in admin mode by default and Unity standalone is started in Admin mode as well, scripts I open in Unity get opened in VS just fine as well but if VS starts in admin mode by default, scripts I open in Unity get opened in notepad. This tells me that the problem is, that Unity needs to be run as admin as well, if VS is run as admin by default. Unfortunately, Unity just falls silently and never displays a UAC window or something like that.

Now, with Unity Hub, the problem is, that Unity itself cannot be launched in admin mode anymore. If you try to launch Unity directly, it first launches the hub. And if you try to start Unity (compatibility mode set to always run as admin) from the Hub, you get a "Error launching application: The application '[path to Unity.exe]' cannot be opened." Error message, no matter what mode you start the hub in.

The only way to work around this problem for now is to not let VS start in admin mode by default, which is annoying, because most of my other projects need it and it's so easy to forget then you've loaded up a huge solution with a multitude of projects, wait 5 minutes for everything to compile and when you want to run it, it doesn't work and you remember that you have to start VS in admin mode and have to close and start all over again.

It's not a super huge deal but since this problem has been known for a long time now and the standalone version of Unity has now been downgraded to the point where it does not even have a project select screen anymore, I'd really have hoped, they resolved this, before they start getting rid of the solution that worked.

42. Brathnann

Brathnann

Ah, I didn't understand your original post. But I just set VS 2019 to run as admin and Unity not as admin and it opened the script in VS just fine when I double clicked it in Unity as normal.

43. Havokki

Havokki

Do either of these stores have built-in support for having multiple different versions of an application? And not just separate stable and beta versions.

44. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

No problem, in hindsight, my post probably wasn't too clear. I think, my work account should already cover a VS 2019 license. I'll try it out as soon as I find the time and will provide feedback if it works better with 2019, thanks for the tip!

45. Brathnann

Brathnann

Will be interesting to see your results. I did test the other issue and you are correct that if the editor is set to run as admin, the hub fails to open it. (even if the hub is run as admin or not). That might be a Microsoft security setting perhaps. I currently don't have a reason to run VS or Unity as admin though, so I never had a reason to look into why it worked that way.

46. transat

transat

The Hub should include links to the release notes of each Unity version.

I think it should also act as an asset store, to replace the truely woeful one built in to the Unity app (does Unity have a UX team???).

47. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hi, if you click on the dropdown of "Target Platform", you should be able to choose one. It depends on the editor version you choose and one editor version may have many target platforms that's why it's only accessible from the dropdown.

48. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hi, I was speaking about the list of the projects that are shown in the hub interface. Once you delete a project locally, you won't find it in that list (As a temporary solution to the "remove a project" feature).

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

safaGH likes this.
  50. MechEthan

MechEthan

Yes, choosing an explicit target works. But it does not show me what the CURRENT (last opened with) target is.

i.e. If I open a project targeting Android, out of say 3 possible targets, then close the project/Editor, and look in Hub: it should, but does not say "Android" under Target Platform heading.
    When I re-open the project without specifying anything in the target dropdown, it will re-open the project with the Android target.