Search Unity

Unity Hub v2.0.0-beta versions feedback thread

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Gruni and charlesb_rm like this.
  2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Still no dark mode, that's literally the only thing I wanted in Hub 2.0

James-Sullivan likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

A dark mode for the Hub? I hadn't thought about that. Maybe one day but we're still waiting for a dark mode for the forums, so... ;)

JakubSmaga likes this.
  4. webjeff

webjeff

Can we specify an install folder yet? That would be a nice feature! And I mean for the version I selected, not the general folder where all of them install to. For example, I might have a "C:\Program Files\Unity" which holds the latest version for me. Currently I need to use the manual installer to specify that :(

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

It has always been there. Click on the cog on the top right of the window and choose where you want to install your versions of Unity.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  6. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

Also just installed it and liking it so far (from the looks of it), but the installation list is now cards instead of just items beneath each other. Yes, it shows you the components installed, but I'm sure they can make it work so all the info is displayed in one straight line. Makes it much easier to scan the versions you've installed :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

So far, so good. The first time I launched the Hub I was like "Yuh, what's that?". Yes, it takes some getting used to but getting around it is not such a big deal.

Once resized so that the content of the columns show in full, I like it; but, guys, the tray icon is still scarcely visible!!!

https://forum.unity.com/threads/tray-icon.588742/

At least, the "preferred" tag has disappeared. ;)

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oops, first problem.

I went to the Tutorial Projects tab and downloaded the 2D Game Kit; when I click on "Start", the Hub doesn't ask for the version of Unity we would like to use and tries and open it in Unity 2019.2.0a9 instead of 2018.3.10f1.

By the way, Unity 2019.2.0a9 was not launched at all.

Capture.JPG

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Also, please, please, please, could you put an option somewhere allowing us to choose not to get short cuts to Unity or the Hub on the desktop??? I spend my time deleting these things.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Resizing the Hub window doesn't hold, I must resize it to see the full content of the columns each time I start it.

11. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

I'm unable to launch the beta version. Anytime I try doing that it would instead launch the 1.6 version I have installed. I am using Windows 10 and let it install at the default path(c:/program files). Both the 1.6 version and 2.0 are installed at different folders(Unity Hub + Unity Hub beta at program files).

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

The two executables are different, you must use Unity Hub beta.exe.

The new hub short cut on the desktop doesn't look like the usual short cut; it's smaller and blue.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
  13. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

I am using the new EXE. Opening the exe at "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub beta\Unity Hub beta.exe" opens the 1.6 version.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Does this one let me delete a project without having to delete the project folder from my file system manually?

15. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @DoctorShinobi ,
    I believe the version 1 is running, thus focusing the running version instead of opening the version 2.
    There can be only one Hub running at a time. If a Hub is running, the process will be focused instead of launching another. You may quit the Hub from the tray menu.
    Thanks for trying out the version 2

16. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

That seemed to be the problem. I had no idea it was running since technically it was closed in the task bar

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, not yet. You have the option to open the project in the explorer though, making it far easier to locate in case you have several hundreds projects. :p

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

19. Seto

Seto

Why is platform selecting is unavailable for 2019.2?
    QQ截图20190327010807.png

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't understand your question; your image shows that it is already selected for your projects.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, you are not forced to use it at least... :)

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't like to have to click on "Add" to check if new versions of Unity are available. I hope you're going to make this as visible as it was in 1.6. ;)

Capture.JPG

MostHated likes this.
  23. Murgilod

Murgilod

I sort of am, actually, because it's the easiest way to deal with multiple projects. At the same time, however, this is a feature that should have been in since day one. People have been asking for this since like the second beta version and it's not exactly a tall order.

24. webjeff

webjeff

You had me excited for a second :) That option (unless I'm wrong) tells you were to install all the versions of unity. So I can specify c:\UnityVersions (for example). I would still get C:\UnityVersions\Unity 2017.1, etc. I want to specify the exact location, not just a parent folder -- does that make sense?

I can do this when I manual install each version, but not through the hub.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

The truth is that I don't see a problem with deleting projects directly in the file explorer...

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unless I don't understand what you want to do, you don't need to bother about that, the versions of Unity are automatically installed in their own folder.

In your example, if you want to install Unity 2017.1, specify c:\UnityVersions in the installation settings and the installer will create the Unity 2017.1 folder and install Unity 2017.1 inside that folder.

27. Murgilod

Murgilod

WORKSFORME WONTFIX is not justification for bad design.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

What?

29. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is a basic UX issue and keeping it backburnered for so long is bad design.

30. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

I do not like the fact that you have to manually select all the projects and switch one by one to a new version.
    I would prefer a simple solution like being able to select more projects at once, and change the unity version, or to choose a prefered unity version (like in the v1.x unity hub) that will automatically be assigned to the projects which do not have their version installed when I try to open them (with a warning popup first, of course).

Edit: A checkmark to be able to select multiple project is a good solution.
    A better one would be to have a separate button to open the project in unity, and the normal project click should be a simple selection. And you would be able to change on bulk properties for the selected projects, like unity version and platform.

31. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Sorry, this is a bug for the versions 2019.2.0a6 and above.
    We are currently working on a fix

32. MostHated

MostHated

ArthurT likes this.
  33. webjeff

webjeff

What I like to do is have a folder C:\Program Files\Unity (no sub folders) - this is the current latest version, always. When I grab a new version, I install to that same folder. No need to uninstall, just overwrite what's there.

I can't do that with the hub, the hub requires I use specific folders for each version, even if I'm only going to have 1 version installed -- I would have to install then uninstall and if I had any batch files that referenced a folder, change to the new version.

I just prefer having the option to choose my install folder per version (rather for all of the hub).

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I understand. Before the hub was released, installing a new version of Unity consisted in:
    1. deinstalling the old version,
    2. installing the new one.
    The two steps were automatic, nothing was overwritten. But sometimes, old stuff remained in the old version directory, which may cause problems when you run the new one. With the new Hub system, each installation is clean. :)

Maybe, what you want will be an option in the future; but then I'll have to manually deinstall the old versions before having the hub install the new ones... :)

35. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

I know about this, last year dark mode for Hub was also showcased and it didn't make into the main release.

36. MostHated

MostHated

Well, we are a lot closer now at least. : P It looks like it's showing 2.1.

37. Seto

Seto

Just see the reply from Unity. It's a bug. There's no way to choose platform. No down arrow for it.

Thank you.

38. DanielTG

DanielTG

@JakubSmaga and @MostHated

We definitely appreciate the interest in having a version of the Hub Dark Mode. It’s something we would love to consider sooner than later. However, as others have pointed out we have, a long list of requests and for this 2.0 release we wanted to address the core new design (with light UI theme) first before attempting both colour palette options

In this case, as with past public roadmap presentation, this screenshot is a proof of concept design to highlight the new Learn section (amongst other design tweaks) with a dark theme for a future release (not necessarily 2.1 but beyond)... the goal was to help assess interest and gather feedback on the concept. Apologies if this set an expectation on given timeframe, that was not the intent and something to make clearer in future presentations.

Thanks
    Daniel

joaoborks and JakubSmaga like this.
  39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I saw it when it was posted.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JakubSmaga I just started the hub this morning and I was signed off; this didn't happen in 1.6 and didn't happen yesterday either.

41. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Excuse my blunt feedback but it must be said:
    - I installed 2.0 full of enthusiasm and uninstalled it 5 minutes later
    - UI layout is less readable/intuitive and adds friction/cognitive work to navigate
    - Some buttons adds useless complexity (clicks/actions) with 0 value in return
    - List of Projects is still not an reorderable one (I dont know whats up with Unity and reorderable lists, srsly. Call Sirenix they figured it out)
    - Still no option to remove/hide projects from the list; I have dozens of projects I don't want there anymore.

MostHated likes this.
  42. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Thanks for providing feedback,
    Over the UI/UX, I would like to kindly ask for elaboration on it, so we may re-evaluate on it.
    For the project list, it is possible to order by a field clicking on the column title, it is by default using the Last Modified field. It is also possible to filter the project list by project name using the magnifying glass icon.

Thanks,
    Joe

43. IAndrewNovak

IAndrewNovak

What about "update" button for installed Unity versions?
    Currently for install new version of Unity we need to manually remove old and install new version

44. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

Hi @joeksy,

I didn't catch that sorting option first time. That is actually good, thanks! Probably because I was already expecting something of a reorderable list-like drag&drop behavior.
    This sorting issue and ability to remove local projects from that list are probably my biggest pain points so far.

Other than that:
    - there is something that makes my brain very uncomfortable about this navigation panel on the left ie: Projects/Learn/Installs. It takes 1/3rd of the horizontal space while looking like something that should take 1/6th or be just tab menu on the side/top. It feels like wasting screen real estate while real content (ie.: list of projects, resources etc) is cramped.
    - I'm not a fan of Installs>Add button (I hate it). It hides list of available versions behind this click&wait500ms paywall. And it's important for me because I check that often while using alpha/beta branches. Cool transparency animation of that window... only adds salt to injury, because makes me think that I must wait eternity of milliseconds for seemingly no reason.

Thank you Joe for your hard work on this. Excuse my initial bluntness but it's because we care and often use it every day of our life.

joeksy likes this.
  45. AaronZurawski

AaronZurawski

Here's some of my initial feedback from switching to 2.0:
    • [UI] I can't resize the columns.
    • [UI] A breakout or sub-menu for selecting the Unity Version to use would help. I have 20+ current installs, I have to scroll a bit.
    • [UI] The default size has the columns too narrow. For example, the version is truncated.
    • [UI] The Install boxes for each version is quite a waste of space at its current usage. This could be more efficient if its not going to have additional information.
    • [UI] Please group the installs in the Add menu. This list will only continue to grow.
    • [UI] The sizes in the Module Install section don't have context/headers. There's two different numbers shown, but I'm not told what they are.
    • [Feature] I really would like to be able to uninstall Editors and Editor components from the Hub.
    • [Feature] I would like to be able to see the currently imported platform. "Target Platform" means nothing to me if I don't remember what I'm currently imported into.
    • [Feature] Local network repository/cache. I would really like to cache the downloads locally, or be able to serve my own Editors.

• [Functionality] I really like the search feature, it makes managing dozens of projects much easier. Thank you so much for adding it!

Nit-picky side-by-side install feedback:
    • Make the icon more distinctive. I appreciate the blue dot, but its a bit hard to see when I add both of the icons to my task bar.
    • If the 1.6 process is left running (but the Window is closed), and I try to launch 2.0, 1.6 opens instead. I have to manually go into Task Manager and kill the process before launching 2.0.

aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can just close it in the system tray, no need to open the task manager. :)

47. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

48. MostHated

MostHated

Hub 2.0, in its current form, just isn't a good user experience.

1. I definitely do not like that if just generally click anywhere on the row of the project that is not within the confines of a specific (and sometimes small) element, the project just opens. I would much prefer a dedicated "Open" or "Launch" project button. I have already, a few times, accidentally opened several projects that I was not intending.

2. There should be a better indication of what you are actually mousing over / are about to click on. Example being the Version selection for a project. There is only that little arrow that changes color when moused over, but it doesn't help me know that it's a button to be clicked very well, and if it is, how much area do I have to click on without accidentally opening a project? There should be some sort of indication that you don't have to only click that little arrow, such as that particular whole cell in the table/grid should change color. Perhaps similar to this?

3a. It was already bad enough that the Hub gave no indication that there were new alpha, beta, or even release updates. Sure, every day or so I would swing by the installs tab and click on each one to see if there was anything new. It was not ideal, but you know, the Hub is still new right? : /

It is now even worse. To even know if there is an update I have to go to the generic "Add" button? Add what? It is extremely unintuitive and confusing. Then once you do realize that is where you have to go, once again there is just another generic list of numbers with no detail. There needs to be an indication on the main Installs button that a new version has been added.

Nothing crazy, just something like this below, or even a small circle icon, anything so you know just at a glance there is something new. The user should never have to go searching to try and even find the place in which they might find something new if they are diligent enough to constantly check back all the time once they do find it.

3b. That whole installs tab is honestly the worst possible way it could have been implemented. Just a bunch of lumped together cards with no differentiation between 2018-2019, or 2019.1 and 2019.2, etc.

The "Add" menu probably just needs to go away and the entire Installs tab needs to be redone. Since the main portion of the menu is on the left now, once you click installs, there should be the box in the center, then, if you insist on cards, add tabs along the top for "Releases", "Beta", and "Alpha". Then each tab should have a clear separation between the major versions. The icons showing additional information is nice but having things as cards sorting left to right is just annoying. There is no consistency as to where 2018.x or 2017.x is. It is just somewhere down there in the and its position will change as soon as you install another newer version.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Noisecrime likes this.
  49. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

One of my first report on Beta 2.0 for Hub is this one :
    - I think there is a little text-id issue in your submenu when you right click on the tray icon.
    upload_2019-3-28_11-6-50.png

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Aside from a complete rethinking of that "Add Unity version" design, I would like to be able to hide the versions of Unity I'm not interested in, in the "Add" list. It's something I'd also wanted in version 1.6.

Capture.JPG

afshinity likes this.