Search Unity

Unity Hub v2.0.0-beta versions feedback thread

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Mar 25, 2019.

1. btristan

btristan

Very cool.

Sooner is better for the CLI. Private build automation is not great when managing serial activation requires the entire editor and downloading installers requires me to maintain a list of URLs for different versions.

2. Kuuo

Kuuo

UI - When the user adds a project that has already been added, show a notification or highlight the project.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good idea, for now, nothing happens if you try and add a project that is already listed. :)

4. slimshader

slimshader

I installed 2.0 beta but when I launch it after installs, it starts Hub 1.6 instead every time (docs said it could be installed side-by-side)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

You must completely quit 1.6 so that 2 beta opens. This has already been explained in previous posts. :)

slimshader likes this.
  6. Skjalg

Skjalg

I would like to know what the command line options are.

The white UI is horrible. I realise that dark mode is on the back burner for more "real features". But being blinded by the UI is really bad. I literally get white spots appearing in my vision after using it (I'm a bit sensitive to light).

That being said, the iOS icon under Installs is near invisible.
    upload_2019-3-29_10-54-47.png

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same thing when I try and create a new project from the Hub; it creates it automatically in Unity 2019.2.0a9. There is no (visible) way to choose the version to use; I can create new projects only from an open project.

Capture.JPG

8. LotteMakesStuff

LotteMakesStuff

Noticed a small bug/annoyance- searches/filtering gets reset when you navigate from the Project screen to any other screen. this can be hyper annoying when ive found a project i want to open and quickly switch over to the installs tab before i open it to check if theres an updated 2019.x alpha/beta build before i open it. ive done this a few times now and then accidentally opened the wrong project because the project able resets

9. Seto

Seto

Hi. There used to be an option for enable Unity Analytics or not. But now it's gone? So what's the default option for Unity Analytics option?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is a package that is automatically installed in each new project. Open your project in Unity, go to Window/Package Manager, look for Anatlytics and you should find a description containing a link to the documentation. There you should find how to use it. :)

11. Seto

Seto

I know it. But last version, I mean 1.6. When you create the project and enable Analytics, it will automatically create a project in dashboard and set its id. For now, I can use the service tab tab to do so as well. I'm just curious if this option is removed intended in this version.

12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

You can choose any version available from the dropdown to the right of the "Add" button:

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 3.55.22 PM.png

It's disabled by default. You can always enable it from the Services panel in the editor (Cmd/Ctrl + 0). We removed it because we are working on an "Advanced Options" section in the project creation popup that will include this (and possibly Cache Server and Cloud related options).

Also thank you everyone for the great feedback! We really appreciate the very detailed positive/negative/passive-aggressive comments and will make sure to keep it all in mind as we iterate on this new version. Please remain patient, the dark theme will come, along with all the goodies.

Cheers,

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. This "New" button is tricky:
    • click on New and the project creation dialogue opens,
    • click on the arrow and you can choose what version to use to create your new project.
    In my opinion, it would be better if clicking on "New" opened the choice menu that is under the arrow; that you make this button one button instead of two. ;)

14. Baste

Baste

Like if your goal is to get

, you're doing a real great job here ;)

If we have a alpha/beta downloaded, that'll be the "most recent" version of Unity, but it's probably not the one we want for new projects all the time. Or maybe it is? Who knows! That varies from person to person.

One of the things that was correct about the 1.0 version of Hub, which had no problems whatsoever, was to have a dropdown for the Unity version in the create new project popup. The popup is pretty small, so it's not starving for screen real-estate. The dropdown isn't very hard to understand, so it shouldn't cause confusion. For most users, the auto-selected version will probably be the correct one, so it doesn't add any clicks.
    On the other hand, not having it there makes selecting version confusing, adds more clicks, and clutters your interface by adding a god-awful ugly dropdown on the add button.

It was a good feature with no drawbacks. Why on earth did you remove it?

15. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback @APSchmidt! We'll try to iterate on that.

Thanks man ;P

We didn't remove it, we made more room for Editor-specific project creation options. With templates coming in full swing we decided to make it clear that project creation may be different from one version to the next. If this doesn't feel natural of course we'll reconsider our approach.

Cheers,

16. Coed

Coed

Hello,
    when I start project from Unity Hub I get those weird performance spikes, closing hub solves the problem. It wasn't an issue in hub 1.6.

Attached Files:

17. Gruni

Gruni

First and foremost: The lack of dark mode is disturbing. dò.Ób

But almost as bad is the new view of all the installed and available versions. In 1.x, you could see in a glimpse if there's an update. Now it feels like you have to manually check the Add-Button to see if there is a new update or not. Not much of a fan of that. Other than that, it works for me and I like the rest of the new layout.

Keep up the good work!

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity

1. I hope the dark mode will be for everyone, not for the paying users only. :)
    2. Could we have a "Do not show in the future" option, here:
    Capture.JPG
    Thank you! :)

19. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Coed Thanks for posting the issue. We'll look into it.

Yes, this seems to be a unanimous concern. We will see how best to address this in coming versions.

Don't worry, dark mode will be free for at least a whole month :p

Yes. I can't say when but we will have them.

Gruni and Deleted User like this.
  20. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

Where's the Dark Mode? (Isn't that all the rage these days?)

Also -1 bc they took away preferred editor option. I really liked it and used it a lot.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't like that preferred tag so I'm happy they removed it. But, if they have to get it back, I'd like to have an option that would say "mark as not preferred" and that it would not be applied automatically. ;)

The dark theme will come in the future.

22. crocvr

crocvr

It is still lacks of CLI tools so I will have to wait until Unity Hub 2.1 comes out.

Forgot to mention, it will be great if we have some button to delete all old versions for every major release.

23. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@StephenHodgson-Valorem We took down the "preferred version" because many people found it confusing. We will surely find a middle ground in the future.

@ktitov3d Would an "upgrade" feature address your concern? (i.e. upgrading to latest yearly release)

24. Baste

Baste

Okay, so dicking around with the hub:

- Resizing is great! Why can't I full screen, though? The standard windows buttons are grayed out, and I can't Win+Up to full screen the app either. I can stretch the UI to be the full screen, and it works, so I don't really get why you're blocking full screen still. This also means that I can't do the thing where I drag the window to a side of the screen and have it auto-fill that part of the screen.
    Just have the hub window behave like a normal program's window.

- There's a ~1 second noticeable lag every time we switch between Projects, Learn and Installs. That should be cleaned up.

- I was full of S*** earlier. Having the Unity-version on a tab directly on the project in the project list is great. Talking about this:
    upload_2019-4-8_18-1-34.png

Good stuff

- Having the entire entry in the project list be a button that opens that project is horrible, though. I keep opening projects I don't want to because I miss the ... button. If I click with the mouse where it's at in this image, I'll open the project. That's obviously wrong:

upload_2019-4-8_18-7-44.png

I think opening the project should either have an explicit button, or only happen near the name of the project. That's where it's natural to click anyway.

- In general, you're making the same mistake that the editor redesign is doing where you don't have buttons or dropdowns that look like buttons or dropdowns. Give them a margin so I know what I'm clicking. Right now I'll be terrified of clicking anything because that might randomly be some space that does something.

- I don't think you should have to click the looking glass icon to search. If I open the Projects tab and start typing, that should start putting things into the search bar. That could be an option, but help us fight Carpal tunnel syndrome. Similarly, we should be able to navigate selection with the arrow keys and open projects with eg. enter.

- Why on earth are the installs window a bunch of boxes?
    upload_2019-4-9_10-45-37.png

This feels like chaos. The dropdown fills the entire box, so you can't see the version number and the drop-down at the same time.

I'd prefer a grouping by major and minor version. Programmer art:

upload_2019-4-9_10-53-10.png

That'd make it much easier to find what I'm looking for.

Lurking-Ninja and charlesb_rm like this.
  25. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

@Baste Having the Unity-version on a tab directly on the project is not really that great, at least not in the way it's implemented right now.
    Atm you can select Unity versions for multiple projects in the list, but once you opened one of them, all the previously set versions get reseted. Same with Platforms.
    Imho this is confusing.

26. Baste

Baste

Yeah that's busted. Setting the value on the tab should write to the projectVersion file.

Not that I envision setting the version on several projects at once very often, but the dropdown should work. What you describe now is... not working.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity Hi,

Could you create a thread at the top of this section explaining why Unity Technologies created the Hub and is forcing everyone using 2018.x and later versions to use it?

It appears that many people do not want to use the Hub; probably because they have no idea of its real usefulness; they just see it as a(nother) bloat.

For example: it appears that subscriptions/licences will be managed from the Hub instead of the editor itself, making said subscriptions valid whatever the version of Unity people use.

I may be wrong but weren't subscriptions locked to the version of Unity you subscribed to/bought in the past?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2019
  28. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Baste
    - The fullscreen + shortcuts is a bug. We'll address that.
    - We'll look into optimization once this version is stable.
    - The whole row being clickable is pretty annoying. It will probably change.
    - Keyboard shortcuts aren't planned for now. We'll take it into account.
    - Based on the current feedback there will most likely be a secondary view in the installs tab. Something more row-based.

Let me know if I forgot anything.

@Grumpy-Dot
    The dropdowns aren't meant to set the project's default version. I can see how it could be interpreted this way. We'll see how we can fix this.

@APSchmidt
    We posted this sticky thread in the 19.1 beta section of the forum because we're only shutting down the Launcher from 2019.1 onward. We understand some people might not want to use the Hub but as explained in the later thread it addresses many Editor issues that are better handled from outside the main app.

As for licenses, the switch to subscriptions (from perpetual licenses) allows users to use any supported version.

Grumpy-Dot likes this.
  29. foobar

foobar

Would it be possible to add a link to the associated release notes along with each version of Unity in the hub? Everytime I want to look up what's changed between versions I have to go hunt down the release notes for the specific versions I'm working with.

Noisecrime and AbrahamDUnity like this.
  30. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@foobar Yes, we are working on that as well ;)

foobar likes this.
  31. Mikilo

Mikilo

Just updated and the title is wrong I guess, it's written "WINDOW.TITLE".

Capture.PNG

32. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Mikilo I'm not sure what could cause this. Could you report a bug through the bug reporter so we can have a look at your logs and investigate? Also, could you see if closing the Hub from the tray menu and reopening fixes the issue?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hub update in sight! :)

Capture.JPG

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't see any difference... :(

Okay, I know why. The update doesn't install itself after clicking on "Restart Now"... :(

Found the origin of the problem:
    1. my Hub is installed on an external drive;
    2. the update is installed in "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub beta"...
    How to reproduce:
    1. install the Hub on a drive that is not the C:\ drive,
    2. start the Hub,
    3. install the update,
    4. take a look at "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub beta"; this is where the new version has been installed.
    I tried installing the update by using the "TRAY_RESTART_AND_UPDATE" in the contextual menu of the tray icon: same result.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

36. Mikilo

Mikilo

I sent a bug report.

I tried what you ask, but nothing changed.

Also, when I right click on the tray, it looks also wrong.
    Capture.PNG

37. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

About that page below; it's been bugging me from day one, why is a version already selected? Could you, please, make it so none of the proposed versions is selected by default? Thank you. :)

Unity 2019.2.0 Alpha 11 is not in the list, how long does it take for new releases to be proposed?

Capture.JPG

39. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@APSchmidt Sorry about that! Sometimes new releases aren't detected and the list isn't updated right away. We do try to limit these occurrences. You can download alpha 11 through the Hub with this link.

Cheers,

40. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

It seems the forums don't allow linking unityhub:// commands.
    You can install a11 from this page by clicking the green "Install version from Unity Hub" button
    https://unity3d.com/alpha/2019.2

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, thank you, I know where I can find it if necessary. I just want to be sure it will show in the Hub. :)

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

It is in the Hub today. ;)

charlesb_rm likes this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've installed Unity 2019.2.0 Alpha 11 and I got this message in the Hub:

Capture.JPG
    These two Windows updates seem useful but why didn't I get this message before?
    As far as I'm concerned, I only needed KB2999226 to be installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2019
  44. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    This is a new change in Hub v2b3.
    If you are on Windows 7, and you don't have these two updates, you may not be able to see some features in the editor like Package Manager. You can see more information here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ect-because-of-missing-net-core-prerequisites

If you are not on Windows 7 or have that two updates already, and see this message, this is an error on our side

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I got the message; like I said I was missing one of these updates. I've installed it. So, if I get the message again, it will be on your side. :p

46. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Minor issue, but looking at the installs tab makes it look like 2019.1.0f1 is a release version, but it's not.
    It should be marked (Beta) or better yet (RC)

upload_2019-4-13_17-45-53.png

47. Gruni

Gruni

Weird Issue: Unity Hub 2.0.0-beta.3 on macOS makes Unity 2018.3.11f1 and 2018.3.12f1 basically unusable.

I don't know what exactly is going on underneath (as there are no noticable CPU spikes or something like that), but when I open Projects with these two Unity versions via the Unity Hub 2 Beta, it's as if the Unity Editor only renders with 25-30 fps. The Profile Inspector doesn't show anything unusual. But it gets all stuttery, even on an empty scene.

Opening the exact same projects with the exact same Unity Editor versions via the old Hub (1.6.x) makes them run buttery smooth as they are supposed to be. Unity 2017.4.24f1 on the other hand behaves exactly the same, no matter with which Unity Hub a project is being opened.

I'm going to file a detailed bug-report tomorrow, after testing it on my other rig at home. But for now, Unity Hub 2.x is dead for me. :p

Rig: MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2015 (i7 2.5Ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2gb + Intel Iris Pro 1536MB, 500gb SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Build 18E226)

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

@afshinity The learn tutorials open directly in 2019.2.0a11; I'm unable to choose 2018.3.12f1 to make them.

Capture.JPG

49. rsodre

rsodre

I'm loving Unity Hub 2!

Just one small thing that's a bit annoying on the mac. When we open a project, the windows is closed. If we alt-tab to the app, nothing happens, because it's closed. Usually on the mac, CMD+1 should bring it back, but it doesn't work, we need to click on the tray icon to bring it back.

I think the alt-tab should automatically open it, or at least make CMD+1 work.

50. crocvr

crocvr

I thought more about cleaning older versions than upgrading its but if it will manage upgrade and clean than my answer is yes.