Search Unity

Unity Hub sucks!

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by DesigningKnight, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If its installed, you can just tell hub where to look for it and it should work fine.

2. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

from a text-based config file? what i did was copying the whole 5.5 folder in the same place 2019.x and 2018.x are or were, and nothing happened....

3. Baste

Baste

There's a "Locate" button in the installs tab.

Be warned, the Hub team wasn't able to implement that properly, so you can't uninstall editors added that way. Finding and running Uninstall.exe next to Unity.exe was apparently not a viable solution.

Airmouse and Kiwasi like this.
  4. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Editors that are installed through the hub can be uninstalled from the hub and editors that are installed outside the hub can only be added or removed from the hub without the ability to add modules.

5. ammirea

ammirea

I was hoping that hub was able to manage 2 separate instances of the same Unity version. Is there a way?

6. PZA

PZA

I'm new here. It's funny. I clicked "get unity" and it showed me page with no choice at all: "install from hub" or "download hub". As if "get killed by shot" or "get killed by hanging". So, because I don't know what the f*** Hub is and why the f*** I need The Mighty Hub, I clicked "Learn more about Hub" on the deceitful "Download" page.

And it again, ARROGANTLY not showed me in a respectable way document explaining reason why I need this, but redirected straight to the forum where I spotted first post named "Unity Hub sucks!". Haha. As I suspected from the very start - according to new fashion - Hub is another level of spying, collecting personal data and controlling user's computer to "improve user experience".

Tell me I'm wrong and I can't create game without Hub, because it brings so much value to user, being must-have creativity tool.

7. You won't be a member of this forum too long with this... just sayin'

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  8. rev_krez

rev_krez

I'm a new user. Well, I had downloaded Unity a while back but didn't play with it much before I got distracted by paying jobs. I figured I'd remove the old install and start again with the newest version. Big mistake, now it's been two days and the Hub keeps crapping out on me. It reminds me of dealing with Origin when my kid wanted to play SIMS 3... A custom downloader that can't really download.

Unity is allegedly an amazing system but I can't even get it installed now. Is there a timeline of when this Hub thing will be made functional? Or some tutorial for installing Unity without it (rather than dead links and snotty comments about how people in other countries should change the world to get better internet)?

All I want is to make a stupid mobile game. Maybe earn $100k so you can get paid too. Looking into Unity since it is allegedly powerful yet easy to use. This Hub non-installer is not making a good first impression.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you can't even get the hub to work than your are in for a treat when you actually start working on the game :)

Edit: but unity need to stop changing the look of it so often. It's almost like azure portal, they change something almost every day, toy never find a feature in the same place twice :)

bugfinders likes this.
  10. rev_krez

rev_krez

Is this a recommendation to use a different product?

I don't consider it to be a personal failure that the thing can't perform its main function... Is Unity as a whole very buggy?

EDIT: Whining on the internet magically helped! After yet another (very long, slow) attempt I have successfully downloaded and installed 2019.2.12f1 using the Hub. I am relieved (until I have to update), but this still needs work.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  11. bugfinders

bugfinders

What doesnt work?? normally you download hub hit install off it goes.. if you download the non hub installer that should work too, as thats what I have to do due to some limitations on a work machine..

12. Clockodilee

Clockodilee

13. cyberjoys

cyberjoys

one of the reason why we still stay with 18 is unity hub, it really sucks, one thing that bug me the most is if install location was not default, any not LTS version will not run, i hav to install at least one LTS in the default editor location, then manually install the not-LTS version in the same default location, then the not-LTS version can run. and i m using 2.48 hub. all in all, its boil down to the user experience of using hub in the end, if i could rate hub, i would give 0/5 no doubt

14. jeango

jeango

I can't say I ever had to complain about Unity hub. And I'm certainly rather happy to have one place where I can start all my projects. I don't know if you've ever had to juggle with multiple versions of Unity before unity hub existed, but quite frankly I don't have any desire to go back to that time. Is Unity Hub perfect? certainly not. Is it worth a 0/5? Not in my book. I'm not using the default install location and never experienced any problems. I currently have 11 versions of Unity from 5.6.1 to 19.4.17LTS and have not had any problems.

15. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Unity hub can only logon when I downgrade it to a 2.x version. Then it sadly auto-upgrades to a non-functional version later.

Sadly the current edition of Unity hub is similar to if the mcp from the Tron movies was an extremely dysfunctional tard. ("no, can't open the projects because the tard app is in the way!")

That sort of software quality problem is what happens when companies hire cheaper third world code copy/pasters from india and similar.

Airmouse likes this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locking this thread because it just results in insulting replies without constructive criticism, as above. If you do still have a hub issue then please reach out with a new post, but keep the replies constructive without insults. Thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.