Search Unity

Unity Hub sucks!

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by DesigningKnight, May 7, 2019.

1. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Can we please have the old style installer back? The hub keeps disconnecting and won't resume the download. At least the old installer would continue where it left off. I'm on a metered connection, and so every time it starts over, it costs me more data to try to download again and again and again. I've already had to reload more data 3 times and still havent' been able to get Unity downloaded.

Gekigengar, gitgudcat and ericalbers like this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just download and install directly. This is still the best practice if you have a slow/expensive internet connection, or you need to install on multiple computers.

Whats more is you can then link installed versions back to the hub if you like, which gives you the project/version management benefits.

Noisecrime and Ryiah like this.
  4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

As of 2019.1 it's mandatory, since you can only handle projects through Hub.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Really? That's disappointing. What's stopping you opening the project in the editor directly? And how does this affect build servers and the like run Unity via script?

Hub was always a nice convenience add on feature. It shouldn't be mandatory though.

6. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

As soon as you launch the editor and the Hub isn't open it opens the Hub for project selection.

I don't use the command line stuff personally, but they say it's not affected, although I guess the same process goes through and the hub does the license checks and project opening. Hub took all the project and license handling tasks.

7. jeango

jeango

I, for one, love Hub. I've had to juggle with so many different versions of unity, I'm glad I can easily switch from one version to another.

If the only invonvenience is that it makes unity hard to download on a really really bad network, I don't see a reason to move away from it. Just get yourself on a decent connection, download the thing (takes no more than a few minutes if you don't download extra build targets, which you can always do later on) and you're good to go.

8. jeango

jeango

You can only handle projects through Hub, but nothing stops you from downloading unith from the download archive, install it without hub, and then in the "Installs" menu of Hub you can "Locate a version"

9. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Easy to say that, but many of us living OUTSIDE of the US and Europe don't always have access to a decent connection. I'm living in the Philippines, and the only access I can get here is a mobile wifi connection. Yeah there are decent DSL and Fiber connections here, but only if you're in certain areas. Most people here have to use mobile phones and only get around 5mb/s tops.

So saying "just get yourself on a decent connection" is much easier said than done.

Draghi, halley, bobisgod234 and 3 others like this.
  10. jeango

jeango

You're right about that, sorry I realise my comment might have come across as a bit conceited.

In any case, please refer to my follow-up post: download and install Unity throught the classic Unity archive download / installer, and then use Hub to "locate" your installed version of Unity, that should do the trick for you

Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  11. ptcmia

ptcmia

IT at my work is having a hard time getting Unity Hub pass their firewall while unreal had no problems. So I cant log in to unity hub and I am locked out from using the free version of Unity. Whats the deal?

bugfinders likes this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

Email support and say you're having license issues with Hub in an Enterprise environment.

For reference, it's going to be something like this:

Make sure you're connecting to the correct network when verifying these are open and working with IT. Often there are different networks (such as wifi) with different permissions.

jeango likes this.
  13. ptcmia

ptcmia

Thanks for the info. Ill send it over to IT

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If making love to software was a thing I would do it with the Hub.

15. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

LOL. I wouldn't go that far, but I like the Hub as well. More and more as they develop it. I think they're doing it well enough.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Before the Hub it was a real pain to have 2 or sometimes 3 installs of Unity parallel, I love it! :D

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I remembered when we went live on Early access with 5.4 than we had a Dev branch with 5.5 and a little later a migration branch with 5.6 and the hub was released around that time. It was a god send

18. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @DesigningKnight,

We're very sorry to hear your internet sucks. But worry not, we've got you covered! Even though we are taking on many responsibilities previously handled by the Editor we haven't fully retired the download assistant yet. Which means you can still download Unity (even 2019.1) the classic way and link it to the Hub afterwards. You can even create and open projects entirely without the Hub.

We do hope you give us a try in the future as we constantly try to make the Hub a better and more stable product. And remember, every task the Hub takes over means a smaller Editor download when comes the time to update :).

Best regards,

19. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Ok so where is the link to the download assistant? I can't find it anywhere for 2019.1.1

20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The download assistant is just as problematic on a slow connection. Go straight to the archive and download the version you need directly.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Just checked this. Unity 2019.1.2f1 works just fine without Unity hub installed. It gives you a warning that hub is the preferred option, but still works fine without it. If you have hub installed, it opens hub without giving you a choice. So hub is still optional, even if it is preferred.

jeango likes this.
  21. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Ok that really did NOT answer my question. I have asked where to find the link to something, and you said "get this, it's better". I have used the download assistant before with no issues. It resumes like it should, lets me download what I need and stores them so I can use them again. The archive does not give anything other than the editor.

It's a bit arrogant to answer someone's question with your opinion, rather than with something constructive. I asked where the link is for the download assistant. You gave something completely different.

22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

its only your own fault if you dont have fiber in 2019. Its faster, cheaper and more reliable. I would never buy a aprtment or house not having it. Though I did actually just that with my current apartment. :p

But I took the job as the one managing the procurement of new electrical wiring for the entire building and at the same time I got fiber to each apartment included in price .D Though here in stockholm its free to get fiber from the city when they are doing special offers. So you only pay the work needed from street up to the apartments which was free in this case. Normally costs about 10-20k USD for a smaller apartment building like ours.

Even rural areas have fiber, we jumped on the group connection when our country house and neighbors close by got offered to group connect when the county had the street opened for other reasons. I think we paid only 1k USD for that.

23. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Did you even read back that I am in a different country, that fiber is hard to get? I'm in the Philippines. Fiber connections are not as easy to get as you think. Most people here use mobile data for internet. I swear, the arrogance of people.

thunt-hbs, vertxxyz and bugfinders like this.
  24. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Maybe get involved getting fiber to the region? If you don't take matters into your own hand, don't expect others will change it for you.

You can't run a serious business without a good internet connection, remote video conferences, screen sharing etc

25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you actually followed the link I posted, you would have been one click away from the download assistant. You should get into the habit of exploring links you are given, it will be a valuable asset for your future in game dev.

Editor links
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Download assistant links
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  26. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@DesigningKnight,

After looking into it there seems to be an issue with the Download Archive links and indeed, you can only download the Download Assistant for 2019.1 on MacOS. The Windows "Unity Editor 64 bit" links to the Editor Installer which is different. We communicated the issue to the appropriate team and they should address it fairly soon. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

SisMoon likes this.
  27. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you are having problems downloading through Unity Hub then you will have the exact same problems downloading via the assistant. He was trying to save you time and bandwidth, but apparently you're not willing to listen to any advice.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Kiwasi likes this.
  28. Blavek

Blavek

This is not true. I have 250Mbps connection and I have been installing through the hub for almost 2 hours at this point. Right now I have a race going between hub and the Editor DL. The editorl DL seems to be winning. The hub looks as if it is hanging. The worst part is I thought it had stopped working closed and re-opened and had to start the process over again from the beginning. I even removed and reinstalled the hub. It should not take hours to install. Windows itself installs in less than a half hour on most machines.

the editor is installed... I still have to wait for whatever the rest its trying to install is...

Now it says installing... I may have been waiting for a download. Since the hub doesn't give any other information I cannot be sure.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  29. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Something is wrong between your hub and the Unity servers, networking, firewall or transportation something. I've just ran a stopwatch: 1 minutes 12 seconds* to download the 2019.1.2f1 with Windows, windows IL2CPP, OSX and Linux support. Install time was: 2 minutes 17 seconds, total size: ~5 gigabytes installed I believe. (new Hub 2.0, but it is similar for me since the first beta of the Hub)

* California, 200mbit/s fiber connection over wifi, Youtube is running in the background with HD streaming, my daughter is watching Hulu on HD in the living room, so it's not really an empty connection

Ryiah likes this.
  30. ericalbers

ericalbers

It also spawns THREE copies of UnityHub.exe and eats resources, doing whatever evil its doing 24hrs a day, bitcoin mining I suppose. Theres NO reason for it to run 24hrs a day 7 days a week on my machine, unless its monitoring keystokes and selling the data to advertisers.
    Trusted? No. Earn trust, stop running 24/7 on my machine.

herb_nice likes this.
  31. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

This thread is diverging a bit too much (and getting a little too aggressive). Please try to remain constructive and stick to the initial issue. If you need to discuss separate concerns don't hesitate to post a new thread.

Returning to the initial subject, regardless of the reason everyone should still have access to the Download Assistant. It was accidentally removed from the Windows dropdowns in the Download Archive page and it will be addressed soon.

Again, please don't verbally attack other users over internet speed. I'm confident everyone here can communicate in a civil manner.

Best,

SisMoon, jeango, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  32. gitgudcat

gitgudcat

33. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Honestly, the download assistant was less problematic. If the connection dropped, the assistant would patiently wait for the connection to be restored and would continue where it left off. The hub does not do that. It just aborts the rest of the download and then makes you start over. It's wasteful of bandwidth, especially for connections that are metered.

34. jeango

jeango

I see the windows download assistant is now back in the download archive. Have you had any success yet? Follow @Kiwasi 's link and you should be good to go. Would be happy to hear that your problem is solved

35. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

Ok so, I went to the download archive, and I cannot find a download assistant on the 2019 releases. All I see is this:

Unity Editor 64 bit
    Cache Server
    Built in Shaders
    Torrent download (Win+Mac)

No Download Assistant.

Would it be too much to ask to make the hub actually resume a download instead of aborting and forcing a restart?

36. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@DesigningKnight We'll support resuming download soon. For now the Download Assistant link should be back in the Archive page. We are confirming with the web team as I write this. Thank you for your patience.

37. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

So I confirmed the Download Assistant was added back to 2019.x editors. If you still don't see it try this link (fixes cache issues).

Best,

38. DesigningKnight

DesigningKnight

I just don't understand why you would not include resuming in the hub to begin with. It is a pretty important feature, and would save a lot of headaches and time. At least it will be in there soon (presuming "soon" does not follow the Blizzard model of "Soon(TM)" https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Soon.

Yep, that works. And I'm currently downloading the latest Unity with it, and i's working as it should.

39. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Well it's not exactly a matter of flipping a switch. It just wasn't our top priority for Hub 2.0. We'll make sure to add it before fully replacing the Download Assistant. And you can expect that Unity Soon ;).

40. Eneco

Eneco

Stupid additional requirement that really sucks. Unnecessary bloatware.
    Even if you install without freaking hub, you need to have it installed to run any unity version from now... same annoying S*** like EGL. Thanks for nothing

41. bugfinders

bugfinders

If unity/hub would support web proxies (like most applications) id like hub, our company will never let direct access out, so, if its not via the proxy, no deal.. This means (like many others) I cant get items from the asset store, the package manager and I have to download updates manually. I know Im not a lone.

42. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@bugfinders We actually support web proxies. If you set HTTP/HTTPS_PROXY environment variables the Hub should go through your proxy properly. Make sure you have the latest version of the Hub.

Best,

43. bugfinders

bugfinders

Not very conventional then.. Especially as our wonderful company uses a pac file, so the actual proxy server may change. Also it requires a login, which you cant pass in a form of user: password@host..

Hmm that made hub run even worse.. now it doesnt show boxes for install, projects, and stuff on the left..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  44. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@bugfinders Unfortunately this is the only setup we support right now. It's possible that we support pac files in the future.

Best,

45. sborden

sborden

@AbrahamDUnity - With the latest release of Unity Hub (2.0.2) i've noticed that the application is stripping the HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY environment variables from the process. Because the Unity Hub.exe is the parent process for Unity editor and ultimately the processes that access the Asset Store and package manager do not have the PROXY defined anymore and quit working.

My only solution so far is to uninstall unity hub when installing an Asset or Package and reinstall Hub to Re-License (which again breaks anything using network access behind a proxy).

46. herb_nice

herb_nice

2018.4.2f1 has been more stable than 2019.1.x in our testing and does not require unity hub. we just stick with that until unity hub goes away.

47. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@sborden If you set the environment variables while the Hub was open you need to restart it by closing it from the Tray menu option and reopening it. Indeed the editor is seen as a child process so it will inherit the Hub's environment variables. It should work as expected if the Hub can read your environment variables.

Please open a new thread if it doesn't.

Cheers,

48. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

great would be if we could easily access old versions of Unity that we might have installed, like 5.5, from hub - is there some trick around for that?

49. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

not on gnu/linux - all 2018 versions are crashing when booting, all the time - and 2017 versions are quite unstable (crashing minutes after booting) - otherwise, 5.5.x and 2019.x are running great here

50. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Not that I know about. You need to use the download archive for that which is sad.

nitrofurano likes this.