Search Unity

Unity Hub sorting

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by sartubakia, Feb 6, 2018.

1. sartubakia

sartubakia

Why Unity Hub sort projects by version instead a sroting by last opened projects ? My test and other old projects are pop up when i open project with lower version of Unity, but i need only my favorite or last opened projects.

DougRichardson likes this.
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Other users also reported that issue, and we are working on that.
    Thanks,

DougRichardson and jashan like this.
  3. mimminito

mimminito

Second this, would love to see some sorting options like Last Opened, A-Z, Z-A, Unity Version.

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

We have multiple enhancement for the project page in our plan, that includes better sorting. Thanks for your feedback.

jasperstocker, oOHicksyOo and jashan like this.
  5. jashan

jashan

Third this ;-) ... basically, the current sorting makes the most frequent use case I see for Unity Hub (opening my projects with the correct Unity version) almost impossible. So it's a lot easier for me now to open the right version of Unity first and open my project from there, instead of using Unity Hub. I might as well uninstall it, then.

Even worse: I had to find this posting to even get what is happening there. At first, my main project didn't show up, and instead some old project did show up (well, I had that old project open before). Then, when I searched for the main project by scrolling down for a little while, and opened that, the old project "disappeared" from the list. To me, this looked like a very strange behavior, but ok, now that I know it's sorting by Unity version, I can see that's what it does.

IMHO, Last Opened is by far the most important sorting and I'd probably never use another sorting at all. In addition to that, the only thing I would want is a little search textfield that I can use to type a project name. Personally, I would never search in an alphabetical list, or in a list sorted by Unity versions - even if I forgot the project name, it's more likely that I roughly know when I last worked with the project and will find it more quickly that way.

However, in addition to the quick search text-box, a drop-down for the Unity versions would also be useful, so that I only see the projects for a specific version.

6. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Almost all the features that you are requested is in our backlog and we are trying to ship them soon.
    Regarding the sorting, the reason for the unsorted list is the different behavior of editors in updating the registry. We are working on a fix for that

jashan likes this.
  7. jashan

jashan

Oh, when did that behavior change? I primarily work with Unity 5.6 and it seemed that most versions kept the same sorting when opening directly through Unity.

8. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

The behvaiour didn't change for each editor, but apparently, each editor considers the project opens by itself to sort the recent projects.
    We are working on a different approach to get the last update time of the projects not by relying on the editors. We'll keep you posted when that fix shipped.

9. Yishar

Yishar

+1 for a Search/filter box, it would be great if it accepts "intro" as a "Open the first filtered project" to reduce mouse clicks, just like Windows 7 search box and cortana do.

10. DougRichardson

DougRichardson

+1 for sorting by recency. I work on multiple projects and the sorting in Unity Hub is absolutely bizarre. Project X will be at the top, then I open one other project, go back to Unity Hub, and Project X is now 8 down the list.

11. hwaet

hwaet

Sorting options for the projects would be great! +1 for that!

Also, it would be nice to sort the unity version numbers in a more human-friendly way. For example, in the image below, it'd be cool if 2018.1.0b10 were at the top of the list instead of before 2018.1.0b2.

sorting.PNG

unityunity