Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub should install latest stable release by default

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by master_rigel, Jun 5, 2019.

1. master_rigel

master_rigel

I installed the latest Unity Hub, and I noticed something.

Starting from a completely fresh installation, with no editors installed,

Unity Hub jumped directly to selecting the latest alpha build,
    NOT the latest stable build.

Unity Hub should select the latest stable build for install first. Preferably an f build.

This way, there isn't guess work for new users.

I don't think fresh game developers want to download alpha software by accident and then wonder why so much is broken, or they think they're too stupid to follow instructions.

I would consider this a high priority fix for the Hub, as those who are unaware of what they are actually installing, may walk away from the product completely before they get into it.

Regards, Rigel

Terra_, Vryken, mgear and 1 other person like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This is a big problem. There are threads from new Unity users pretty much every day with strange problems, only to find out they are running 2019.3.0a when they thought they were just installing "the latest Unity version." For every person who makes a thread, there are probably dozens who just struggle on their own.

I made a thread on this yesterday, others made threads pointing this out earlier. Unity should push out an immediate fix for this, as this issue is likely damaging to Unity's reputation seeing that the first experience many new users are getting right now is with an alpha version.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

You should change the title of your thread into that sentence; it's more accurate than the current title. ;)

4. Vryken

Vryken

Also want to add: Unity Hub should also maybe emphasize non-stable builds with a different background color and/or an icon with a tool-tip which conveys to the user that they are currently looking at an alpha or beta build.

Joe-Censored likes this.