Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub should allow installation of non-latest versions

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deozaan, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Deozaan

Deozaan

I know that Unity Tech has recently changed their entire paradigm of supported versions (Tech vs. LTS releases) but if I join a project that is based on a slightly older version of Unity, such as 2017.2.2, then Hub should allow me to install that version so I can work on the project without requiring the whole team to upgrade to 2017.2.3.

Currently it asks if I want to install that version, but when I click yes it just takes me to the installs tab which only shows the latest supported Unity versions.

What's the point of using Unity Hub if it's not going to allow me to easily install and manage the appropriate Unity version for whichever project I'm working on?

Is this a planned feature that just hasn't been implemented yet, or is there a reason why this isn't/hasn't been implemented?

Rock360, De-Panther, SugoiDev and 2 others like this.
  2. BossKey

BossKey

I'd like to bump this request. At the current cadence, a minor release seems to be coming out about every 2 weeks which means versions are dropping off Hub's Official release page quite quickly. I just joined a project that was started last week on 2018.1.2 and that version is no longer available via Hub. I installed it manually and I even put in the same folder that Hub uses, but I can't manage component installs with Hub since the install was done by me.

It would be enormously helpful if Hub could have the ability to install any version currently in the version archive.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hey everyone,

Apologies for the silence. This has come up several times on the forum and it's noted. The original intent is for the Hub to always encourage users to adopt the latest Update release for a give version. However, it's fully understood how that isn't always practical for reasons give above. We have a couple of of solutions in planning that will hopefully help.

Thank you for your patience,
    Daniel

Deleted User and mathieub like this.
  4. nholdDET

nholdDET

Can I also request that patch releases also be allowed? I am currently stuck on a patch release for a large scale project where it's not feasible to attempt an update to a newer version of Unity (Believe me I have tried to push us to the LTS release but we cannot risk it only 4 months away from release).

Deleted User likes this.
  5. Baste

Baste

Unity 2018 and later will not have patch releases (p version), which is why there's no patch releases on the hub. So that makes sense.

That being said, I think that the Hub should have a button to bring up something like this page. Without a button for "older versions", and with the newest versions taking a couple of days longer to show up in the hub than on the web pages, the Hub really feels like a second class part of Unity.