Search Unity

Unity Hub randomly missing existing projects

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by nasos_333, Aug 29, 2020.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The Hub is randomly missing some of my projects, this is a known bug for almost a year now, is there going to be a fix for this critical issue ?

We cant rely on a project manager if it misses projects, it is unthinkable that it cant handle the most basics.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

I had an official answer that said the projects can be only limited because of legacy compatibility, so there is no resolution so far and the hub is completely useless software, as it is extremely more confusing than help

Please forget about compatibility and add a larger project count possible in the list, thanks

Or at least put a warning if above 40 to not enter a new project, than have some randomly lost and confuse the user.

3. mgear

mgear

did some checking on this,
    and seems that it already reads all the recent projects from registry (if there are more than 40),
    so by manually adding few extra projects, those got listed in hub:

but hub itself has some hard coded value to only loop 40 items,
    not sure where its used - but it does list more than 40..(if they are in registry, so apparently it only saves max 40 projects)

4. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi there!
    Could you please check with you have the same issue with the Hub V3?
    To switch to V3, download Unity Hub then switch to Beta Channel:
    1. Click Settings (GEAR icon)
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. In the Release Channel drop-down, choose “Beta”
    4. Wait for background download. When it’s ready, you will see a message to Restart Hub to start using V3

5. mgear

mgear

@UnityJuju does v3 support more than 40 recent projects?

6. jamad2001

jamad2001

Unity Hub 3.2.0 still has the problem. It lose the project from the list over 40.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have a feeling this will never be fixed, i mean extending a list is like few seconds of coding, so if they don't do it for so many years now must be some extremely important reason behind it.

I just stopped bothering with it and just remove the projects i not work on to keep under 40 and keep a list of the removed if need them later. It kind of negates some of the use of the hub though, so would be great if could fix this issue at some point.

Hi, is there any news regarding this issue ? I have more than 60 projects and is extremely hard to keep track with only 40 limit.

8. jamad2001

jamad2001

The problem is the level of consideration by the tool.
    If Unity Hub notified the user which project would be removed when it got more than 40 projects,
    the user could take a note at least.
    But Unity Hub silently removes the project so the user never know when it happened and which was removed.

nasos_333 likes this.
  9. VertexRage

VertexRage

I'm on 3.4.1 and it started happening to me this week (or I noticed it this week). Which is strange as I have less than 30 projects on the list...

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Strange indeed, is one reason i dont plan to update the Hub from 2.4.2 until there is some news that the massive issues with it are 100% fixed.

Recently had massive problems in Linux too after updating the hub, is as if every new versions breaks it even more.

11. mgear

mgear

nasos_333 likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Amazing news :), at last :)

Thanks for bring this up, i fight more and more with this as my projects have grown near double now

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

I just realized it is working on more than 40 now, it is like a dream come true :)

5.3.0 is out of Beta and kept the more than 40 thing, just amazing news !!!