Search Unity

Unity Hub not opening projects in linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Warhammer9480, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Warhammer9480

Warhammer9480

i've been testing unity and Unity Hub in linux for the past 2 weeks, so far i haven't been able to use it, every time i try to open a project, the splash screen apears for like 3 seconds and then it just closes, no errors, nothing.

These are the distros i've testing with, also Unity and Unity hub versions:

Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04.3
    Kubuntu 20.04.3
    Linux Mint 20.3
    PepperMint 10
    Manjaro 21.2.4

Unity Editor Versión
    2020.3.30f1
    2019.4.36f1

Uniy Hub Version

The same thing happens on all distros, versions of unity and unity hub, except in manjaro, in manjaro i can't even open unity hub, it just closes after a few seconds

Has anyone else had this issue?
    is there a way to solve this?

2. Steedalion

Steedalion

You will need to give more information about what "not working" means. Is it crashinh, not starting, are there error messages. Check this thread for the current mesa bug. https://forum.unity.com/posts/7945879/

3. Warhammer9480

Warhammer9480

Literally there is no error messages, so i don't know what the problem is.

Unity hub stars, no problems so far, the issue is when i try to open up a project, the unity editor splash screen appears but after a few seconds it just closes with no error messages.

The only message that appears asks me if I want to update the Unity version with which the project was created but this happens before the splash screen.

Also i'm testing this in a VM, i don't if this affect all of this.

Here's a video i recorded in Ubuntu 20.04

4. Steedalion

Steedalion

You may want to try VMware Player it has stronger graphics support. Also I see no workflow where using a VM is beneficial. Try updating the drivers and installing the vmtools, but in my experience vmware has a better chance of working.

I'm using 20.04 with app image and have not encountered this issue using novea or nvidia drivers. I hope this helps.

5. Warhammer9480

Warhammer9480

Using VMware player solve every problem i had, unity is working properly, the graphics issues i had on Kubuntu are also fixed. So i'm guessing is a problem of VirtualBox or some configuration i messed up, anyway, i'll be using VMware for now on.

6. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

VirtualBox does not support a new enough version of OpenGL to run Unity. Mac users running Linux through Parallels will also see this behavior.

7. sirkrisp

sirkrisp

I have the same problem but I do NOT run Ubuntu in a VM but as normal OS (Ubuntu desktop 20.04). Any ideas? Thanks!

8. sirkrisp

sirkrisp

It turns out that some drivers were not properly installed. `sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall` fixed the issue!