Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub Not installing the Editor on windows 10

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by IamKayrox, Aug 8, 2019.

1. IamKayrox

IamKayrox

I tried to add an install with the Hub but it doesn't get installed, last time I reported this bug I got a response saying that this was a known bug and they were working on it. So and update arrives for the hub and still having this issue. If you can't ensure that the hub will be able to install any editor version at least don't hide the links to the editor installers in you web page please. Also, logs will be amazing and would help to solve this issue (and any other issue) a lot.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @IamKayrox,

I am a little confused by your post. We test on Windows 10 every day and thoroughly before every release. I can assure you that we don't publish a release of the Hub if installing Unity doesn't work. You mentioned you had reported this in the past and someone wrote it was a known issue. Could you please provide a link to this previous post? We may be able to gather more context from it.

Also we never hid the links to the Download Assistant. If you wish to install Unity the classic way you can still do so by visiting our download archive and selecting the "Unity installer" option for your desired version of Unity.

And finally we've had logs for a long time now. When you report a bug through our bug reporter (available from the tray menu) they will automatically be bundled with your issue. If you wish to consult them here is where they are on Windows:

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs

If you provide more details as to how your installation is failing and possibly a link to past reports we may be able to troubleshoot your issue and make the Hub work for you as well.

Cheers,

MAK109 and brightendme like this.
  3. gubbi

gubbi

I also have issues with the Unity Hub. The install takes hours to complete, and seem broken afterwards, as I can not add modules to the install.

lupin4, arkano22, A1Di and 4 others like this.
  4. taviso

taviso

I also encountered this, the hub would install but installation of the editor would silently fail.

The solution for me was to add a system override for Mandatory ASLR, as the unity installer won't work with it.
    • Go to "Windows Security"
    • App & browser control
    • Exploit protection settings
    • Program settings
    • Add program to customise, choose the unity download assistant, e.g. UnityDownloadAssistant-2019.2.12f1.exe
    • Find "Force randomisation for images (Mandatory ASLR)"
    • Click override system settings, then turn the slider off
    • Click apply
    • Repeat this process for UnitySetup64.exe as well, because that also needs an exception.
    Crazy that a new program being developed in 2019 needs an exception here.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  5. gubbi

gubbi

That worked! Thanks a lot.
    I think you need to look into this, @AbrahamDUnity.

subtra3t and maxroszell like this.
  6. TangQibin3838478

TangQibin3838478

I even tried to introduce unity from an external installation, but it would report a "unity language error"

7. msnnsm

msnnsm

I was about to reinstall my windows after trying everything. You just saved me hours of making backups and stuff. Thanks sir!

maxroszell and sapumalliyanage14 like this.
  8. cibymili

cibymili

upload_2020-4-17_3-8-46.png

is the 10th time that i try to download this version of unity on hub. im having the same issue

9. krotovar

krotovar

Guys from Unity! It is not funny even/ 3rd pc ? where I have trouble with unity hub doesn't want to install unity editor. + When I choose in preferences Visual studio it stop to open scripts complietly. When I don"t fo tht - I have no intellisence of unity scripts. And it happened the same every time/ Help only deleting everything with hub and install back

Veerendra85131 likes this.
  10. AhmedMinecraft

AhmedMinecraft

stupid kind of it never wanna install please help

11. MarktheM00N

MarktheM00N

12. SolarianZ

SolarianZ

I think you should test the hub in different network environments, do not perform the test inside the corporate network.
    We use Unity in different location, have different network operator and network quality, I saw a lot people say they can't install Unity through Unity Hub, and I also meet the same problem.

upload_2020-4-26_9-43-43.png

13. kavin404

kavin404

I am facing the same issue

14. ruaangrobler0

ruaangrobler0

yup, still a problem for some of us, and I'm on fresh windows, all updates (GPU too) no weird security stuff. Tried 4 times - didn't get any errors, just hung, even left it overnight. The post above helped, and I also used the non-hub installer. I also have Unreal Engine installed - maybe they don't want to coexist :p

15. BloxyGamz

BloxyGamz

I've been having the same issue too. I just got Unity today, and I have been having the same problems with installing Unity Editor. I tried multiple times reinstalling it, but it keeps saying that a file has corrupted, or something.......?
    I really want to fix this problem soon, so I can really get really into game making!:oops:

dairajohanna120 likes this.
  16. mushroomseasonisopen666420

mushroomseasonisopen666420

Still a problem. No errors, it just pseudo-installs.

I don't think I've ever had a trouble-free Unity installation.

Carlo0137 likes this.
  17. ABTOMAT

ABTOMAT

Having the same issue.

In 4 of 5 cases it says "Failed to download file (filename)" and the installing indicator just disappears.
    In 1 of 5 cases the progress bar goes to end and just hangs there for any amount of time. No errors, no any messages, just endless "installing".

Is there a way to make it work?

dairajohanna120 and Keeryel like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi guys i had the same issue many times but after talking with their support we found the best solution is to download unity through the (Unity installer) which you can find at https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive. The unity installer will allow you to add modules and it wont fail to download..hope that helps

Attached Files:

19. stefan_mueller

stefan_mueller

I also had the same issue. Installation through the hub is not possible, it does "pseudo installs" as described by the others. The "system override for Mandatory ASLR" does not help in my case. Indeed, as pointed out by eugenegrandeira, installation via the Unity installer yields at least a Unity version, however, you will be unable to add modules afterwards. In my case I'm missing the modules seen in the screenshot below (although I selected "Android Build Support" in the installer). These modules must obviously be installed through the hub.
    upload_2020-5-23_11-34-11.png

unity_Ewxog-J_i8eu0A likes this.
  20. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hi @stefan_mueller ,
    Which version of the hub do you use ? There were some issues with the destination of these modules after install but it was fixed, so if you installed it through the hub it should be working and detected by the editor in the right location.

21. stefan_mueller

stefan_mueller

Hi @safaGH ,
    thanks for your reply. I was using Unity Hub 2.3.1 at the time the issues ocurred. As I mentioned, it was not possible to install Unity through the Hub - every time I tried it only resulted in pseudo installs (that is, although showing somehow an installation progress, no files of the Unity Editor have been written to my hard drive).

Today I updated the Hub to version 2.3.2, uninstalled the Unity version which I got from the Unity installer, and tried to install Unity again via the Hub. The Hub has shown the load bar for about 3 hours now (please see attached), however, not a single Unity Editor file has been installed on my hard drive, so it seems that it is still doing the same kind of pseudo installation as before.

upload_2020-5-25_22-49-13.png

22. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

I see... your downloads / installs are failing for some reason (bad network, not enough space, accessibility issues to the install location you chose for your installs...). I advise you to retry installing an editor locally on your machine (not on a drive) and to DM us your hub logs. Logs are here for Windows
    Code (CSharp):
    1. %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs

23. dangerbreadman

dangerbreadman

Had same issue with failing silently. Ran hub as admin did the trick for me.

24. ABTOMAT

ABTOMAT

This helped! Thank you a lot!

This folder is empty for me.
    Also, would't it be a good idea to output logs into the same window?

When Unity Hub fails to download a file, the error message appears just for few seconds that I just don't have enough time to take a screenshot.

For the first time, while waiting for installation, I went to the bathroom, and once returned, was wondering why the installation box just disappeared with no message (which disappeared when I was AFK). So I had to start it over again and wasted a lot of time to just find out that the download fails.

Could be these error messages saved somewhere (in the same window), or at least not disappear until I click "Dismiss" ?
    Could Unity Hub check if launched as Admin instead of just silent failure?

Can we wait for these features in the next versions of Unity Hub, please?

Attached Files:

25. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

That's all good feedback, @ABTOMAT , thanks for sharing! We're definitely working on improving messaging in Unity Hub and specifically making it a lot clearer to the users when downloads fail. We'll take this into consideration. :)

26. justinkaz531

justinkaz531

Sir, THANK YOU! You have no idea how bamboozled I was. Literally nothing I would try was working. I still have no idea why this solution works, but thank you so much for your help.

27. ash4640

ash4640

taviso thanks a lot, your method got me up and running by installing 2019.3.7 using the Installer directly from the Unity site,
    I used the Unity Installer and installed the software it is working perfectly now, but what is that Unity Editor 64bit, do I need to install that too? As I'm still a bit new to Window 10 and I used Unity Hub for installing on Mac. What are those builtin shaders zip file, Can I not install shaders from the Package Manager

28. gokhan-alpan

gokhan-alpan

Hi,
    I was facing with "incomplete or corrupted download file" and unity hub install page was remaining empty after download. After checking logs I found the temp downloading folder for unity and also thr url of the unity setup which the unity hub use for download. I copied&pasted the url to Chrome and a regular program download started.-https://download.unity3d.com/downlo...64EditorInstaller/UnitySetup64-2019.4.0f1.exe-. And also, after checking the temp folder which was C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Local\Temp I found folders starting with Unity Hub (unityhub-b0dfc461-b0b7-11ea-84b8-dbxxxxxxx) there was the exe files that unity hub downloaded but could not installed. I am trying with unity hub last time, and also downloading with browser. If the hub fails again I will try to use the other exe files. un1.png un2.png

29. gokhan-alpan

gokhan-alpan

The Unity Hub downloaded and said "incomplete or corrupted download file" again. So I executed the UnitySetup64-2019.4.0f1.exe that I found before, and managed to install unity to C:\ProgramFiles\Unity. And at the unity Hub in installs section I clicked "locate" and browsed the unity.exe in C:\ProgramFiles\Unity\Editor\unity.exe . Then finally hub accepted and I have unity again.(I didn't tried if I could open unity direclty, not from the hub) . un3.png un5.png

30. BallgameStudios

BallgameStudios

The only thing that worked for me was to download Unity Editor 64bit directly from here: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive (see image below), and then running the downloaded UnitySetup64-2019.4.1f1.exe.

Since this is a reversed order, when you finally run the installed Unity successfully, it will ask you to also download the hub.Download and run the hub, go to Installs and click "Locate" instead of "Add". locate your newly installed Unity under C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe.

upload_2020-6-22_20-49-40.png

Attached Files:

31. redeyedatlas

redeyedatlas

i want to install unity so i can edit an avatar but it's saying "download aborted" in bold and "setup was not completed successfully" not bold all the while before it even gets half way,it moves to alittle over a third, is there someway to fix this? or is that a bug of some sort

32. maddoxtori

maddoxtori

I went to the program files and ran the UnityHelper.exe. visual studio opened up an installing window when that was done I quit fully out through the task bar and when unity opened back up everything was properly installed

33. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

problem fixed here :

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  34. guywald

guywald

Unable to install Unity as well.
    - Unity hub: 2.3.2. Install just keeps "installing", and then disappears (install folder empty)
    upload_2020-7-3_1-44-7.png
    - Manual file: (regular user)
    upload_2020-7-3_1-43-25.png

- Run as administrator: nothing happens

I'm running most updated windows 10 version.
    As well, tried with both enabled/disabled windows defender/anti virus but to no avail

----------------------

----
    this worked, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  35. RockyH

RockyH

So, I am bumping this. Unity Hub 2.3.2, attempting to download 2019.4.3f1 or 2019.3.15f1, either or will not download. Here is some of the issues experiencing using the Hub (also, if you, Unity peeps, look at the forum, people have been having these issues for a few years), when downloading from the Hub, the pc will experience major slowdowns and stalls. It will also be stuck on saying it is installing for hours (today's attempt, for 2019.4, was for 6 hours, just for me to stop it and being forced to restart my computer to recover functionality, meaning, speed of PC, also, yesterday I attempted 2019.3 for the same amount of time, no luck).

Now, here is the thing, not only is the PC slowing down (MSI GS75 Stealth, so, come on, this is an amazing laptop), but the installation process is taking a LONG time. I can manually install these using the download from the Unity site, but then I lose out on installing modules and android sdk/jdk/ndk. What I want to know is if I am missing permissions, security, whathaveyou. I've tried the above suggestion and it does nothing for me. Once more, I am not alone in this problem and if you google unity hub install editor issues, other dated forums show up. Please suggest something.

Alternatively, the manual install is useless without the correct modules.json for me to link up in the Hub so I can manage my modules there. This is all I want to do. So, if you have a modules.json you can provide, with no modules installed (so I can add the ones I need via Hub, this would be greatly appreciated.) I've given up trying to install on the Hub, it's terrible, forgive for my bluntness. This was never an issue like a year ago, I think, but I just need that modules.json. If you, Unity devs, or anyone else, can provide that modules.json file (the one next to the editor folder for Unity version 2019.4.3f1), with no modules from the hub installed, this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks, keep being safe out there.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  36. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

**UPDATE*
    I activated my windows 10 PRO key and now can install 2019.4 ... windows 10 HOME had some messed up permissions crap that was causing issues it seems.
    **UPDATE*

Hi @AbrahamDUnity @BasilUnity

I'm having problems installing Unity 2019.4.3f1 LTS and 2019.3.15f1 too

• I bought a new Asus Zephyrus G15 this week.
    • Installed new Windows 10 pro from scratch.
    • Unity hub 2.3.2

Tried installing Unity 2019.4.3f1 and 2019.3.15f1 . Install bar is repeating for the past 30 minutes. I can download both versions however.

It's very strange. My Windows 7 laptop installed 2019.4.3f1 and 2019.3.15f1 just fine.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  37. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this. It's an odd issue and naturally we can't recommend all of our customers to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (I use 10 Home myself on my gaming desktop). Do you happen to have more information? If not, that's fine too.

38. willianlouza

willianlouza

I have the same problem. The Hub shows installation progress, but the installation folder is empty and the installation does not complete, it remains forever and no errors are mentioned. It's frustrating. Are you working on an update for this?

39. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Can you please share your Hub installation logs? They're in %APPDATA%\UnityHub\logs\install-log.json (Windows) or ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/logs/install-log.json (macOS) by default. Also, are you installing Hub on your main drive? How much free space do you have?

willianlouza likes this.
  40. willianlouza

willianlouza

Yes, I am installing on the main disk in a folder created in 'Program Files'. I have 822GB free space.

{"moduleName":"InstallerWinProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'trying to connect to the ipc server' ]","timestamp":"2020-07-10T21:43:48.087Z"}
    {"moduleName":"UnityIPCClient","level":"debug","message":"[ 'connecting to IPC Server Unity-hubInstallServer' ]","timestamp":"2020-07-10T21:43:48.088Z"}

41. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

***Update****
    Hi @BasilUnity .. PRO wasn't the solution. I'm stuck again with Unity Hub not able to complete the installation process for 2019.3.14f1 ... I managed to get 2019.4.3f1 and 2019.3.15f1 installed somehow...

However was NOT able to import my 2019.3.14f1 project to 2019.4.3f1 .. Unity keeps importing the files for infinity.

I tried to submit a bug through unity Hub and even that isn't going through. Just looping the little bar at the bottom forever.

Does anyone else have this issue?
    Thanks!
    ***Update****

Sorry I wish I had more info.. I just registered my PRO key and was able to install the 2019 LTS version. :eek:

I suspect it has to do with Home's DEFAULT restricted administration settings..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  42. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Can you upload the entire log file? This looks rather short.

@indieDoroid : Based on the logs you sent me, it would appear that your installation folder, C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.15f1 was not empty, which caused an error at the time of the installation. Can you check the \Unity\Hub\Editor\ folder and delete 2019.3.14f1 if it's there?

Starcliffe likes this.
  43. willianlouza

willianlouza

OK, let's go. The Win 10 Pro upgrade solution doesn't make sense. I tried to install it on my Desktop (Win 10 Pro) and on my Notebook (Linux Mint), both were connected on my home network and did not install on either. And today at my job I tried to install it on my Notebook, and "vualá", it worked. It has something to do with connection and then I have no idea what exactly it can be. Any suggestion ? I still need to install it on my Desktop and I don't think it would be possible to bring it to my work, hehehe.

44. willianlouza

willianlouza

I will do this when I get home.

BasilUnity likes this.
  45. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

***Update***
    Ok got it to work on the Windows 10 laptop!

This is what I did.
    > 2019.4.3 Deleted
    > 2019.3.15 Deleted
    > Unity Hub Delete
    > Clean out registry, reboot PC
    > 2019.3.14 Installed from the Unity archives. Thank goodness for that!!
    > Unity Hub Reinstalled the latest version
    > Unity Hub still refuses to load Unity 2019.3.14, it just crashes out. BUT I can double click the .scene file from windows explorer and the editor finally loaded the scene. Yay! ! :D

On a side note.
    Is it just me? But I had a weird situation with the uninstall option in Unity Hub.
    Windows 7 -- Uninstall is available when clicking the 3 dots.
    Windows 10 -- Remove from Hub was the only option available when right clicking the 3 dots. I had to delete the folder from C:\Program Files\Unity

Screenshot is from windows 7
    screenshot.45.jpg

Screenshot is from windows 10
    screenshot.46.jpg

***Update End***

Hi @BasilUnity @JeffDUnity3D @AbrahamDUnity @safaGH

Ok I'll try removing 2019.3.15 on my windows 10 laptop and see if it fixes it.

Currently the situation is like this for me.

Windows 7 laptop (2015) - Intel i7
    2019.3.14 - OK!
    2019.4.3 - Froze over night on .prefab import. Did not loop to infinity. I killed it via task manager, restarted Unity and Unity still freezes at random .prefabs. I notice on the import loading bar Unity hangs on UserSettingsProvider.cs for few seconds.

Windows 10 Pro laptop (2020 purchased last week) - AMD ryzen 7 (If that makes a difference)
    2019.3.15 - Loops to infinity during import - force killed after 30 - 40 minutes
    2019.4.3 - Loops to infinity during import - force killed after 30 - 40 minutes

I was looking over the windows 7 info-log.json and noticed this error.

Code (CSharp):
    1. {"moduleName":"BaseWindow","level":"warn","message":"[ 'Failed to load page https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/v2/auth?redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.unity.com%2Fv1%2Foauth2%2Fauthorize&response_type=code&client_id=1142755-ghqk6m8h4jdogndh43702b551tqc.apps.googleusercontent.com&scope=email+profile&approval_prompt=auto&access_type=online&state=ff3e954f-e169-4bf3-a966-6386dec7d7a6001f&include_granted_scopes=true. Error: 0 - OK' ]","timestamp":"2019-11-01T03:32:06.761Z"}
    I sent you the .zip file. Hope it helps and thanks for the effort!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  46. lethavefreetime

lethavefreetime

My Unity is not working like the rest of them, all with the same issue. The difference is that I am using a Mac, not Windows but still have the same problems. I saw the Mac forum but the issues were not like mine.

This is what I did:
    1. Follow all instructions in downloading Unity.
    2. Download a version of Unity.
    3. End up with the installation not there.
    4. Delete all Unity files then reuploading them.
    5. The same thing happens again.
    6. Go onto Youtube to find a video about installing Unity on Mac.
    7. Follow the same instructions in the video.
    8. The same thing happens again/not being able to get the application.
    9. Getting a license then retrying.
    10. It doesn't work again even with a license.
    11. Going onto a website called "forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-not-installed-the-editor-on-windows-10.724400/".
    12. Writing a 12-step list of exactly what I did to download Unity editor.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  47. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

@BasilUnity Are you even taking this seriously? To start off I cannot install any new version of Unity with the current Unity Hub. They just start installing, consuming 5MB/s on my Wi-fi network and when they are done they just dissapear with the folder for that version being created but empty. I said ok, ok, unity likes to play with me. Next I tried to install Unity 2019.4 and 2020.2 alpha from the archive and they succeded in the end. During these downloads, the pc was slowed down so much that even youtube videos started to stop from time to time and once my entire pc froze. Basically I waited 5 mins and nothing was happening (the cursor was blocked in a position), ctrl + alt + delete not working, alt +tab and ctrl + esc aswell. I had to force a shutdown from the power button. At this point I hoped unity is done with these kind of jokes and I can start actually working on a project. I started with 2019.4 LTS which should be a stable version and verified. I just created a new project with the URP template. But guess what? 50% of the time the project will not lauch, looping indefinitely ( I waited 10 mins and still nothing, the task manager showing that it does not respond). When I loaded the project finally, I went to install the DOTS packages since that is my sole usage of Unity just to find out that 2019.4 does not support ECS. Ok, ok, let's try 2020.2 which should support those. I cannot create a project from templates. Not a single one. Every single time it does loop indefinitely at import and appears an error that I can only see if I hover my mouse over Unity inside the taskbar or it plains blocks at "Initial Asset Database Refresh". At this point in time, I am stuck for more than a week with this whole mascarade and cannot code even tho I wanted so badly.
    On a serious note, pls take care of your Unity Hub or just remove it if you can't make it work. This problem is old and has not yet seen a solution. This dissapoints me so much that I installed CryEngine to check it out. Maybe it's time to change engines. Some other issues that I noted with the Unity Hub are: after installing 2019.4 and 2020.2 from the archives with windows modules, linux and macOS, they don't appear listed here. Also I cannot change the installation path. If I go to preferences and under Unity Editors Folder I select a folder and click save nothing happens. Switching to any other tab or window will remove that folder selection.

Attached Files:

48. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

@andreicfsteaua : Rest assured that I take all customer issues seriously. It sounds like somehow you ended up inside a nest of all sorts of nasty bugs. It's difficult to tell what is the root cause of all of that horrible behaviour. Would you mind dropping Unity Support a line? They're really good at solving this sort of issues.

49. Ignatius_Reilly

Ignatius_Reilly

I think it's their way of making you understand that it will only work if you pay $ for the Pro version. Not the personal/free one.
    Rent seekers.

50. WondrousGamesStudio

WondrousGamesStudio

I have the same issue.pls help me out