Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub not installing Android SDK correctly?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by cdauphinee, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

No.

2. ahmedaniss

ahmedaniss

problem fixed here :

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. myusufakdas2006

myusufakdas2006

i solved. first i checked the sdk folder. and it was empty. I entered the unity hub and installed it one by one.

4. SwiftwaveX

SwiftwaveX

Me too! I'm on 2020.2 on windows...

5. Samacvuk

Samacvuk

Still happening on 2019 LTS

6. JxWolfe

JxWolfe

Unity Hub 2.4.3 still has an issue. When you set a install folder for your editors the android build settings are not setup correctly (2020.3.11f1 & 2021.1.10). It works fine when the install is Unity/Hub/Editors but attempting to have them on a different hard drive had this issue. (OS: Linux (Mint 19.3))

7. Slip_de_feu

Slip_de_feu

It works for me.

If you are facing problems with Unity Hub about installing "Unity 2020.3.11f1 / Unity 2021.1.11f1 and android modules (SDK, NDK, OpenJDK)", here's my solution :

1) Firstly, I would recommend to install "UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-2020.3.11f1.exe" to your Unity 2020.3.11f1's path or "UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-2021.1.11f1.exe" to your Unity 2021.1.11f1's path.
    You'll have a folder named "AndroidPlayer" in your path "{UNITY_PATH}\2020.3.11f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\" or "{UNITY_PATH}\2021.1.11f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\".

2) In your "AndroidPlayer" folder, decompress these 3 7z files : "Android_NDK_19.0.5232133.7z", "OpenJDK_1.8.0_152.7z", "Android_SDK.7z"

3) Run Unity 2020.3.11f1 / Unity 2021.1.11f1 and go to FILE > Build settings > Platform Android, click on "switch platform"

4) You can now build your android apps in Unity 2020.3.11f1 / Unity 2021.1.11f1

8. James0oO

James0oO

Hello,
    I am completely stumped. Whatever I do, android support will just not install via hub.

I have deleted everything (editor, hub etc) included folders and reinstalled countless times. Whatever version I use its the same thing; hub shows the tick boxes greyed not blue and just says "installed" but at build time nothing.

All the paths seem correct ( I am installing on a C: drive on a new PC).

Never had this problem before and now it is perfect and completely broken.

hub.jpg

The only odd thing is in editor it says error "You are missing the recommended Android NDK. Install the recommended version using Unity Hub"
    The paths are all correct but the NDK folder is empty.

Same issue with all Editor versions.

Any ideas?

9. denissulyagin

denissulyagin

The problem has been more than a year, and the developers have not solved it. Thus, Unity will never be the best. It is impossible to work with it. Excuse me.

Cascho01, Alex-CG and d1favero like this.
  10. EyeDev44

EyeDev44

Same appeared.

11. k4mazzy

k4mazzy

hello there. fix it by setting all pathes to previous version unity editor

12. k4mazzy

k4mazzy

13. Alex-CG

Alex-CG

Two years, no fix, Unity indeed.

14. vaclav_b

vaclav_b

This issue is still happenning. Same thing on Unity Hub 3 beta.

15. trooper

trooper

Yeah it sucks. Should allow us to remove and reinstall from that menu.

16. trooper

trooper

I've found installing just the editor from Unity Hub, after it's done, install JDK, then install SDK/NDK gets rid of the error. Doing it all at once is when it fails for me.

17. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi folks!
    A new beta went out yesterday! Could you please update your Hub V3 and check if the issue is still happening?
    You can see the full release notes here!

18. Fangh

Fangh

I'm on Windows and this is still an issue upload_2021-9-30_12-54-49.png

Attached Files:

19. tnaseem

tnaseem

This is still an issue for me on Windows 10, Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta-5. It's been happing every time I perform another install. The current install was for Unity 2021.1.23f1.

I always get this error:

: Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 10.08.38 PM.png

I have to hit Ignore to continue, but the PlatformEngines/AndroidPlayer folder has missing folders - No OpenJDK folder and missing folders inside the NDK and SDK folders.

I always keep the older version, so I can just copy across these missing folders.

Happens every time and has been happening for the last several months. It did rear its ugly head in Unity Hub 2.x and no amount of uninstalling, deleting app data folders, temp folders, rebooting, standing on one leg makes a difference.

20. nitz

nitz

I'm seeing the same issues as tnaseem on Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta-5.

If I roll back to production and install the editor that way w/Android Build support, it installs and works properly.

21. mhmtemnacr

mhmtemnacr

Did you manage to fix this error

22. tnaseem

tnaseem

Not much luck, I'm afraid. Although, this time it did something different.

2021.1.24f1 is out, so I gave it a shot. I selected all the modules and started the installation - This time it didn't give me any errors and stated that the installation had been completed successfully.

However, on checking the AndroidPlayer folder, I noticed that this time the OpenJDK folder was still missing. NDK and SDK folders appeared complete though.

I went back into Unity Hub and did an 'Add Module' for this version, selecting OpenJDK. But each time it would complain that it had failed some validation:

Clipboard Image.jpg

So, as before, I just copied over the OpenJDK folder from the old version into this one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  23. Alex-CG

Alex-CG

Yes, no errors during install, but after the process, some errors and this old friend:
    upload_2021-10-13_14-48-18.png

24. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

I've raised this thread with the Hub team, and this issue will be addressed in a future version.

25. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I had the same issue with Hub beta 5 and Unity 2021.1.x
    What worked for me:
    1. Install just the Unity editor. Wait for it to install.
    2. Add Android Support module. Wait for it to install.
    3. Add SDK & NDK module. Wait for it to install.
    4. Add JDK module.

AnnieN and ExtraCat like this.
  26. Chinoirx

Chinoirx

I solved it first by installing only the editor, then by installing the android packages one at a time, all with unity hub and the editor started with administrator rights (from the properties)

27. Isaacary

Isaacary

no it didnt

28. nitz

nitz

Gave this a shot with Beta 5 when installing 2020.3.21f1, and it worked for me as well. Seems doing it sequentially like this is an effective workaround.

That said, it'd be nice if every time I 'Add Module' I didn't fail to notice it was also adding Visual Studio Community and the offline Documentation.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  29. LostInFlux

LostInFlux

Yeah, the workaround didn't work for me. I tried a lot of different combinations of piecemeal install, but it just never could get to the point where it was happy. It also may have manifested in the inability to build to my phone (when trying to build and run, it was asking where to save, but then telling me that that file name didn't exist and wouldn't build+run). I've given up for now and am exploring different options, but hopefully they'll resolve this super old issue

30. Shadowing

Shadowing

Well damn. This problem started happening to me like in the last month.
    it installs OpenJDK but not android SDK & NDK Tools
    When I unclick it and click it it tries to install it. seems it downloads it but never installs it right I guess.

31. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

2020.3.19f1 is missing ndk too

Attached Files:

32. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

Would it be fine if Unity just expose a list of sdk/ndk versions corresponding to the Unity versions so that if anything goes wrong, people could manually download and install from the android studio archive? Or provide the archive in which the sdk/ndk packages reside in so that we could manually download if needed?

33. Joergenvs88

Joergenvs88

Still Not fixed and having the same issue....its shocking such a critical thing is overlooked

34. AnnieN

AnnieN

I installed just Editor first, after it finished added modules SDK, then after it finished again added modules JDK to complete the Android part. Download them all at once was super slow and the files was corrupted somehow.
    My version are Unity Hub 2.4.5 and Editor 2020.3.23.f1
    The internet in my city is super slow and unstable in this Covid timeline, but it works this way (and the SDK is now updated to 30! yeah!).
    (some of the comments above say they succeed this way too)
    Good luck everyone.

35. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

36. TheFellhuhn

TheFellhuhn

Had a similar problem. The Hub (3.0.0 and prior versions too) claimed the SDK and NDK were installed while they clearly weren't. Reinstall isn't possible with the hub (missing feature!). What helped was checking the modules.json in the Unity directory and downloading the files manually. How the folders should be named is also written in the modules.json. Works now.

37. dodget3

dodget3

Why is it too much to ask that it just work like it's supposed to?

38. LOLinc

LOLinc

I installed unity 2022.1.8f and modules via UnityHub 3.2.0 and it keeps giving me errors with the JDK too.
    Tried to completely delete the version with modules and installed it again with the same errors.
    Unity Hub really should come with an easy way to remove modules seeing that the automatic module installer ofttimes does not work as intended. It is a dope feature when it does work though.
    upload_2022-7-11_23-43-47.png

ScottAdams likes this.
  39. Bob_the_Hamster

Bob_the_Hamster

So I ran into this same error message on a fresh install of Unity 2021.3.8f1 on Linux.

Unity Hub installs the Android SDK, NDK, and OpenJDK into the correct location, but it strips the executable bit from all binaries, which is why the android build fails to work.

I fixed it with this workaround:
    Code (csharp):
    1. cd ~/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.8f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer
    2. for I in $(find -iname bin) ; do chmod +x "$I"/* ; done
    3. chmod +x SDK/platform-tools/*
    That fixed it for me on Linux. I expect the same fix would also work if this happened on Mac, since it needs the executable bits also. (I have no idea about Windows in this situation)

40. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

So here are are in Jan 2024 and Unity still doesn't properly install Android so you can make a build out of the box.

Complaining about outdated gradle blah blah.

Sigh