Search Unity

Unity Hub, nice but what for? Can't be more inefficient imho

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by oliiix, Mar 4, 2019.

1. oliiix

oliiix

So now we have a hub to slow down the unity update progress? Totally awesome xD
    I mean seriously, why would I have to point it to already installed versions? I mean at least check the standard installation folders unity uses. Then when downloading, it doesn't even recognize with which options I installed the last version (which the downloaded installer from the web actually does!). Updating Unity from a download over the website is so much faster if your hub is too dumb to figure out anything by itself. I removed this app immediately after installing and running as it seems to be software that has absolutely no upside to it and is merely there to occupy hard disk space that could be used better. Any clarification is appreciated^^

2. DreamPower

DreamPower

Because it's designed to be used to download and install Unity itself - it's only inefficient when linked it to pre-existing installs. Once you've done that once it does remember all the settings, and automatically knows when a new version of Unity is out in case you want to update. It also lets you assign different Unity versions to different Unity projects, in case you have one project that you don't want to upgrade to the newest version (because it's a long-term project that could be broken by upgrading, or it's a released game), or if you have a project you want to play around with a Beta or Alpha version of Unity with. Or if you have a special build of Unity for a specific piece of hardware, such as the Magic Leap Technical Preview build, that you need for just one project.

wccrawford and TaleOf4Gamers like this.
  3. oliiix

oliiix

omg sry that sounded a little harsh! apologize!

thanks for the explanation! ok i see that with the project assignement to version is definitely great!