Search Unity

Unity hub installs on its own. Why?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by mastfreaky, Mar 18, 2021.

1. mastfreaky

mastfreaky

After removing it after a while the unity hub installs again.
    I uninstalled via Uninstall Unity Hub.exe. I also cleaned the registry and the AppData\Local\unityhub-updater folder.
    But it still installs every time after some time.

aamer4 likes this.
  2. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you so much for reaching out. Can you kindly share more context on what you are trying to do and what are the steps you are following right before Hub tries to install? Thank you!

ConstantineFailadis likes this.
  3. ConstantineFailadis

ConstantineFailadis

I have also noticed the same thing. I'm on Windows 10.
    • I delete Unity hub (I don't have any engines installed)
    • I delete all files related to Unity's installation in AppData
    • Around a month or so passes by and then I have a fresh install of Unity Hub out of nowhere.
    The only things related to Unity on my machine are a few repos from some fun Unity projects I made though out the years.

I have no idea why Unity Hub keeps installing on it's own after uninstalling it. I would appreciate some tips of how I can handle this!

aamer4 likes this.
  4. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Out of curiosity, how did you delete the Hub? Did you delete the folder or default uninstall?
    Thank you so much!

5. mastfreaky

mastfreaky

I tried all options: via Apps and Features in Windows, via default uninstaller and folder. The result was always the same.

aamer4 likes this.
  6. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Looks like there're still some leftovers from the Hub, which is making it install itself. I'd suggest you do a more deep sweep, using a software for it or a doing it manually by checking your folders, temp, registry, etc.

7. aamer4

aamer4

that also my case, pls post the solution if anyone found it

8. throwaway3

throwaway3

I am having this issue recently too, it just installed again for me today. I already uninstalled it twice. I think it may be because I installed it via the Visual Studio 2019 installer. Coincidentally, I updated visual studio today too. I just modified my VS install (from add/remove programs in the control panel) to remove the Unity Hub component, then uninstalled Unity Hub as well. I can't confirm if this is the solution but it may be worth trying.

aweirdtrashcan likes this.
  9. DragonLover129

DragonLover129

Guys. I had the same situation as @throwaway3 above. After every restart, unity hub pops out into the desktop. So I had a usual update, went to check and Install unity hub was ticked in the installer of Visual studio. Deselected it and uninstalled Unity hub. Restarted 2 times and it still didn't return. I think that could be the solution. Maybe. You should have a check. Also, thanks to this dude for mentioning it.

10. MindGem

MindGem

I have the opposite problem. I uninstalled the HUB because it was super annoying and took soooo long to load things but now I can't do crap cus the editor keeps bugging me to install the hub and i can't make new projects where I can choose 2d......
    But now I can't install the hub. i've tried uninstalling evrything and reinstalling several versions of Unity but the hub will not be installed...how do I get the Hub itself without the editor? or what the crap is going on?