Search Unity

Unity HUB insists I'm not connected to a network

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by attilam, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attilam

attilam

Hello,

When I start Unity HUB an orange bar appears and disappears over and over again telling me I'm not connected to a network.

I managed to get it to a point where I entered my credentials, then it came up with "Machine identification is invalid for current license." and I have a [Re-Activate] button, but I cannot press it because it keeps getting disabled with the above mentioned orange text.

I cannot use the HUB at all because of this.

I don't use any proxies, and network works fine otherwise.

Edit: I have like half a dozen Unity versions installed on this machine and they work fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. mmvlad

mmvlad

Same here.
    Its funny how they work at Unity. Its like 5th or what version of this software and even the connection to internet is not working properly.

Its like kids playing with code and for some reason releasing this broken stuff to other devs. Why? Just can't get it.
    Please, fix these trivial errors. Users have been asking for the same errors in lots of different threads FOR EVER now. Or just stop releasing new versions. They are unusable anyway.

paulomuggler likes this.
  3. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Sorry for the inconvenience. To figure out if a user is connected to the internet or not, we perform dns lookup to `cloud.unity3d.com`.
    It looks like that you are experiencing some issue over there. I would appreciate that if you can send your log files as a direct message to me.

Thanks,
    Afshin

4. niw3

niw3

I have the same problem in one of my PC's. CPU usage of UnityHub jumps to 96%. I can't use it at all. I am attaching info-log.json under the folder "AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs"

Attached Files:

5. attilam

attilam

Since the FPS Sample is out now and the preferred way to download the latest Unity beta is the HUB I thought I'd give it another shot.

I've deleted everything I could find regarding Unity HUB in AppData, and Program Files and downloaded the latest Unity HUB installer.

Installation went alright, I started the HUB. The sign in window appeared on top of the HUB window, but it couldn't completely obscure the dreaded orange bar with the offline error message.

I managed to login to my account using the sign in window, at least it disappeared without error and I arrived at my old pal, the License Error notification.

The dreaded orange 'offline' message is still there, blinking, mocking me; I'm in the Re-Activate cycle of Doom again... I've never left.

6. attilam

attilam

Update: looking at \AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs\info-log.json I can see that the HUB tries to load something from here:

{
    "moduleName":"LocalConfig",
    "level":"info",
    "message":"[ 'Local Config endpoint: https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/hubConfig.json' ]",
    "timestamp":"2018-10-24T06:18:51.204Z"
    }

...and fails because the server replies with a 404 error. I tried to get contents via curl, and I can confirm this is the case.

<html>
    <head><title>404 Not Found</title></head>
    <body>
    <h1>404 Not Found</h1>
    <ul>
    <li>Code: NoSuchKey</li>
    <li>Message: The specified key does not exist.</li>
    <li>Key: hub/prod/hubConfig.json</li>
    <li>RequestId: *REDACTED*</li>
    <li>HostId: *REDACTED*</li></ul>
    <hr/>
    </body>
    </html>

The log is basically full of this reply and judging by the timestamps I could imagine this is the same frequency as the blinking of the orange bar of doom. So the error is not that I'm not connected to a network, but that the HUB is trying to load something that doesn't exist on the server.

Frank-Galaxy likes this.
  7. aceccl

aceccl

Hi,
    I am also getting the "not connected to a network" error.
    My access to the internet is through a Squid Proxy. I don't think the "dns lookup to `cloud.unity3d.com`" will be able to work.
    All the downloads and every thing else work OK.
    Can you get UnityHub to work with a http proxy, as that's the only way I can access the internet on my work machine.

8. mikelortega

mikelortega

I'm having the same problem. In my case, I discovered that it has something to do with the DNS servers in our local network. If I use an external DNS server it works. It fails when using my local domain's DNS servers. I've contacted the IT managers, but everything else works fine in the local network, so I don't expect another answer but changing the DNS server every time I need to activate the HUB or use the Services window in the editor.

Edit: Solved changing local DNS server configuration.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  9. JBrito

JBrito

Solved changing DNS server primary and alternative(i'm using now google and openDNS)

10. attilam

attilam

Alright I looked into it and changed to openDNS to see what happens, and it did solve the connection problem!

I'm curious about this though, so everything else works for me and only UnityHUB shows this symptom. What does it all mean? :)

11. Immu

Immu

Urk. I just updated to 1.3.0 and I have this kind of issues for the first time :(

12. Robdon

Robdon

I was having the exact same problems, with version 1.3.0

Uninstalled and reinstalled, didn't help.

In the end I figured it out, it was because I was using the DNS server 1.1.1.1

There seemed to be a problem with 1.1.1.1 not working for DSN lookups (I think it was overloaded), you can test that by going into MSDOS and typing: nslookup cloud.unity3d.com

Even though, my internet WAS working.

If you go back to using your default DNS (needs a reboot also to get UnityHub working, even though windows was using the new settings) then it 'fixes' UnityHub

Really, I don't think UnityHub should be using a DSN lookup to test if you have the internet or not, or atleast that not being the only test they do. Windows uses many ways to detect connections, DSN lookup being one of them. So that is why Windows and the rest of the internet was working fine, but UnityHub wasn't.

HTHs.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  13. Brainferno

Brainferno

I get it as well now with the 1.3.0 update. I have been on 3 different networks (including tethering to my phone) to see if there is one that works, no dice. I can use everything else online, just Unity Hub says I'm not connected. If i go to the Unity.exe itself and launch I can sign in no problem, but if I launch Unity from Unity Hub I can't even sign into Unity after it is launched from Unity Hub.

This is all new as of 1.3.0, worked fine before updating.

14. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

FYI: I'm also using DNS 1.1.1.1 and it works fine for me.

15. sjvl-zbat

sjvl-zbat

Same problem on my windows 10 machine. Unable to sign-in & error "not connected to a network".

After uninstalling everything and deleting resilient files, I still have the same issue.

In my case, the following action solves my problem:
    - stop my connection VPN to AWS (use DNS from amazon);
    - clean the DNS cache with the "ipconfig /flushdns" command line (running with cmd.exe with administrator rights);
    - restart Unity Hub.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  16. b33rdy

b33rdy

17. Aike_Aida

Aike_Aida

Same issue on my laptop, but there's all fine on my desktop. They all used the same DNS address 1.1.1.1. But when I changed my laptop's DNS to 8.8.8.8 (It's google's DNS server address) and reboot system, the problem was solved. It's amazing......

18. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

I got this first with 1.3.0 too, I didn't have this problem in previous versions.
    Restarting Unity Hub fixes it temporarily but the orange bar comes back after a while.

19. ArtemVy

ArtemVy

Same problem. Got it after updating to 1.3.0.

20. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Very sorry for the inconvenient you all encounter regarding this issue.
    We 'll change the way we're doing internet connectivity detection (replacing dns call by http request).

Hot fix coming asap for 1.3.0

21. Gangsta-Geek

Gangsta-Geek

I'm having the same issue. I solved it by not using Unity Hub and running Unity 2018 exe

22. karmatha

karmatha

Having the same issue. Setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 did seem to resolve it.. but yeah that's not really a workable solution.

23. fariazz

fariazz

upload_2018-11-21_11-17-49.png

Same problem here on 1.1.3. My other computer is on 1.1.1 and works like a charm.

24. b33rdy

b33rdy

[SOLVED] (for me at least).

I've had this on two different computers so far, it had been blocked by the firewall - automatically.

I'm not sure how or why, it's not something I've changed.

Going into my firewall settings and allowing it through - all entries, of which there are a lot, has fixed it for me.

25. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

Hi folks,
    We've just released an hotfix which fixes this issue. No need to change your dns server setup or firewall rules anymore.

Robdon likes this.
  26. toddhdavis

toddhdavis

I am getting the "no network" error as well, however in my case, the HUB works just fine, and will launch the client successfully, however starting the client directly causes the no-network error. This is a brand new Alienware, and I am using version 2018.3.2f1 - any thoughts?

27. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

Hi @toddhdavis

Sorry to hear that. What's the overall status of your network connectivity when you're having the "no network" message?
    When you're mentioning the client, do you mean the Unity Editor?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  28. cabuzzi

cabuzzi

Hopefully this helps someone. I also had this problem. After reading this thread, I decided to just put the following addresses/IPs in my hosts file, which resolved the issue. Of course, these IPs *could* change and if you're not using DNS, you would never know... so keep that in mind.

23.211.32.43 public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com
    52.216.171.106 cloud.unity3d.com

29. Tudor

Tudor

I tried all the fixes in this thread and nothing worked. Until I disabled my VPN. And I could log in. But the second I reconnected to my VPN, unity said I'm working offline now.

Every unity website works while I'm on VPN. Unity Editor should also do that. Whatever your reasons for limiting VPN users are, I guarantee they can be resolved another way. A lot of people around the world must use VPNs, for various reasons.

30. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Tudor,

We totally change the way that we check for the network in hub v2 (beta to be released this week)
    Actually, instead of checking constantly for the network (which uses the user's resources and may fail in some cases like yours), we send our request anyways and based on the error that we get we set the network status. Even if one request fails due to network issues, we will not disable other actions that require a network (assuming the network was down for a short period of time)

That said, soon issues in this thread should be resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience

31. Tudor

Tudor

That may be the case in your latest unity hub. But I'm just using plain old unity 2018.3.0f1 (without unity hub on this machine). If unity 2019 (without unity hub) has this issue resolved, then it's fine. But I am getting it in the latest 2018 release from a couple weeks ago..

32. zujiry

zujiry

I am connected to the internet via a company proxy and the Unity Hub shows me the error:
    "You are currently not connected to a network"

In the Unity Hub Beta, I have the same problem and the Sign In seems buggy as nothing happens when I use the correct email + password (error is shown if its wrong though).

I can not ping cloud.unity3d.com (because of the proxy) but i can reach it via curl

curl -I cloud.unity3d.com
    HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

I already have http_proxy and https_proxy working, adding no_proxy and unityno_proxy did not change anything.

My OS is Sierra 10.12.6

Help would be appreciated :)

33. Mohanad_GX

Mohanad_GX

Hi 3 years later ! I have the same problem did you find any fix ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.