Search Unity

Unity Hub - Improve Startup Time.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by bjarkeck, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

One thing I would love to see, where if you guys could optimize the hell out of the performance, and make the hub open up as close to instantly as possible. Right now it opens up slower than Spotify, VSCode, and all other Electron-based applications I've used.

Even opening the launcher from the tray icon is slow, and right-clicking the tray icon to get the context menu is slow. Not sure what's going on? But it's really painful to see it in action, and takes away a lot of the enjoyment of using it for me. It's a super useful tool regardless, of course, keep it up :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Squize and myworkema like this.
  2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

Just opened it on my SSD and it took around 3-4 seconds from being completely closed to when it loaded the projects page. Then about 0.5 seconds loading from the tray. I have 0 experience with Electron or Node or whatnot so I cant suggest anything but I can agree that for me 3-4 seconds on an SSD is a bit slow. I think I may even load VS faster :p

3. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

Yep about the same here, opening from the tray for me takes a bit longer until the window is fully rendered. It's crazy to think how much faster computers have become, and how much slower software has become. :mad::(

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback.

We are working on improving the start time of the application.

pvloon, myworkema and bjarkeck like this.
  5. myworkema

myworkema

For Me unity with vuforia is Take over then 10 second to startup Please Fix This Problem

6. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

That is the editor, we are speaking about the hub specifically.

7. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

Any chance you're going to move away from Electron at some point, and make a regular application that's doesn't feel so clunky. One could argue that it would make sense, with your recent focus on data-driven design and performance :p

Would love a world, where it wasn't constantly active as a tray icon as well. At the very least, it would be nice with an option to not have it running as a tray process. The only reason I can think of is to reduce startup time for future launches, which really shouldn't be required with a simple application like this, I don't see which features prevent it from opening up as fast as Microsofts win32 paint.

I know that you can right-click the tray icon to quickly open recent projects, but that kind of doesn't add anything, at-least not on windows where you can right-click - even closed applications - from the taskbar to open up recent projects.

asd.png

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018