Search Unity

Bug Unity Hub FORCES downgrading in new Unity versions.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by IndieMarc, May 2, 2023.

1. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

In Unity 2021 and 2022, when you try import a template asset from unity asset store, that has a lower minimum unity version and choose to override project settings, it also override the project version (it should not and it wasn't doing this before).

This is a major problem because users that download the asset open it in unity 2022, then start making changes, and then when they close unity, and return to unity hub, unity hub will already have changed the unity version WITHOUT ASKING to 2020. And when the user tries to open it, it will break everything since changes were made in Unity 2022.

Unity hub should never force a downgrade and overriding project settings should not override unity version.

Hopefully this will be fixed in future versions.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  2. SorraTheOrc

SorraTheOrc

Well, I was just researching why my project just got downgraded. This came up in my search and guess what, I had just imported your new asset (good first impressions by the way). Difference is I was on 2021, not 2022. I'm 100% with you on this being a Unity bug.

Do you know if there is an official bug on this one? I haven't uncovered one yet, but the issue tracker is very hard to search.

IndieMarc likes this.
  3. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

As you can see here, Unity imports the ProjectVersion.txt file (I don't know why it says "new" because the file does exists already).
    And yes the issue is in both Unity 2021 and Unity 2022.

vers.png