Search Unity

Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by tonic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Any chance you could find a less annoying place for the nag pop-up in the hud (or maybe just a STFU button :) ) :

It obscures the last item in the list and often ends up in loops where you can't get rid of it.

Attached Files:

soleron likes this.
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @BoaNeo ,

We're actually reevaluating all notifications in the app. This one will likely be changed so as not to be bothersome anymore :) . For now, I can only help you understand the way it functions: Whenever you launch Hub process (not just closing the window) it will check for cloud projects. If you're already in the Projects page you will see the notification, but the moment you change tabs or reopen the window you shouldn't see it again. It should just appear if there are changes in your cloud projects (signing in or out, new cloud projects detected ...). I hope this helps.

Cheers,

3. Baste

Baste

It appears every single time the Hub opens. If I hit "Refresh", it's added to the project list until I close the Hub.

It seems like I have to download a local copy of the cloud project to make the notification stop. I'm not really interested in that - this is a project from Global Game Jam that I used to test Collab (it's still S***, by the way), and I don't want it on my computer. I'm considering downloading it to make the Hub shut up about it, though.

AbrahamDUnity and Deleted User like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @AbrahamDUnity

I have a request; I don't know if it has already been asked, my apologies if it has.

Please, could you add the possibility for us to add projects "en masse" instead of one after another? Please? Thank you! :)

Hypertectonic likes this.
  5. v01pe_

v01pe_

Cheers, thanks for considering!

6. Karsten

Karsten

why is the stupid Visual Studio Community always selected by standard? I cant count how many times I accidentaly install it because all I need is Android SDK.
    Boomertip: Remove ALL unneccessary install options by standard, install ONLY what is MINIMAL needed to run a Unity Editor

Mythique likes this.
  7. Nickpofig

Nickpofig

Hi, could you add keyboard control support to the Unity Hub ?
    While with every other app I use keyboard to navigate, for Hub I need to reach mouse to launch an editor. It is not a super problem, but it is somewhat annoying.

per_b_nielsen likes this.
  8. MrDecisive

MrDecisive

Hi There,

Suggestion for unity hub - Would it be possible to add some metadata to the project entries like a description of what the project is/contains - I'm following along with the unity learn junior programmer course and all the projects are called - Prototype 1, Prototype 2 etc - I know I could rename the project but quite often I might use several scenes within a project for testing out different things and it would be nice to be able to reflect these scene contents in the hub. Not sure I;m explaiing clearly - Basically I free text addition to the hub entry where I could add more information about the project.

Hypertectonic and mgear like this.
  9. abaaaaaal

abaaaaaal

Is there a single reasonable reason in the universe why you would make a dark mode version without any option to keep light mode or change to light mode? There's a difference between listening to feedback and ONLY listening to feedback.

MichaelMetia likes this.
  10. MichaelMetia

MichaelMetia

Same problem. Did the update and now there's no option to turn off darkmode that I didn't turn on in the first place???

11. transat

transat

Suggestion: being able to change the Unity version of a project without launching it.
    Another suggestion: link to release notes (or embedded release notes) for all versions of Unity available to download.

12. Baste

Baste

Those things have been requested since the Hub launched 4 years ago. They're also super-easy to implement (one requires changing a line in a text file, another requires linking a url), so that it hasn't happened means one of two things:

- The Hub project manager(s) doesn't want to do it
    - The Hub project manager(s) are unable to prioritize properly, and has spent 4 years postponing single-day tasks.

Thygrrr, Anthiese, soleron and 3 others like this.
  13. N_Castellani

N_Castellani

A cool feature could be a link to the changelog for every installable unity version (view attachment).

This could improve the general usability of the application, and give more informations about the version for unity users.

Attached Files:

Thygrrr, transat and mgear like this.
  14. mgear

mgear

just curious, whats the use case for this?

15. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Easier access to release notes would be appreciated.

Hypertectonic and transat like this.
  16. transat

transat

I've made this request a good dozen times over the past years, including again 2 posts above yours. Many others have as well. It would take them a few minuts to implement and save everyone a lot of time. But as @Baste wrote, the Unity Hub manager doesn't want to fix this UX fail. I'd say maybe try posting a new thread with a poll but I fear that no amount of user feedback will help. Maybe if @willgoldstone were managing the Hub instead we might have more luck?

17. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Feature Request: View current project platform as an icon / tag or ability to re-title the project just in the project list (but not actually change the unity project name).

Why: I'm working on a large 35Gb project that's cross platform so I have multiple copies of the project on disk, one copy for each platform. Many code changes hit multiple platforms and it's untenable to wait over an hour to switch platforms via build settings. Even using the AssetDatabase it takes 10x more time to switch platforms than it does to pull changes from a local repo.

Hypertectonic, Thygrrr and soleron like this.
  18. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

I agree this would be nice

Something that might help you... I don't know you probably already tried

But use 1 code base with conditional compilation and use a build server to churn our builds for all platforms on each check-in this way your never really changing platform at all in your editor.

This is what we do our projects are large 25-20ish Gb and we cover usually PC/Mac/Linux, Mobile, and Web GL. I generally set my local environment to Web GL for ease of unit testing and use cloud builds to keep an eye on the other platforms and perform build testing there.

In most cases I never really need to change platform in my editor unless I get stuck into a complex bit of code that is unique to a platform that I need to do more rapid testing on in editor

19. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

We do have a single code base with conditional compilation but there are major differences between platforms and most code changes cut across those boundaries - Linux platform is the multiplayer server and changes to client code often need server code changes too and you can't safely edit code in a conditional. It's also not uncommon for us to have multiple Unity projects open and running at once, one as the server and one as the client to do quick tests.

20. Moosety

Moosety

yes

21. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

I don't know if someone brought that up - but I want a feature from the old HUB back:
    Install Unity-Version needed for the project you want to open

I mean - seriously - who did that? It worked perfectly fine in the past. You got a new project from source control and don't have the correct Unity-Version on your machine to open it? No problem - HUB had your back. One click (!!!!!) on the warning triangle installed the perfect Unity version for your need.

And now? Someone seriously spend time and effort (!!) to remove that feature, build a new, absolutely useless UI-Window that tells you, that you are missing the correct version to open it....and then you are left in the rain and can either force a new Unity-Version onto the project (absolute no-go for source controlled, team-synchronized workflows) or click on another useless window, which opens a link to the Unity website archive, where you can manually search for the correct editor version, download that by hand and install it.

Seriously? Who on earth designed that user experience and who signed off on that? Who thought - yes - this is a good idea? The whole purpose of this Hub should be to streamline the user experience in handling the gazilion Unity versions you come up with - but right now, it is just another layer of stuff I have to work around, to actually work with Unity.

Please consider reverting BACK to the functionality, that was there before, because it was pretty much perfect. I deeply regret updating to Hub 3.x
    If i sound angry - I am - because these changes are a constant issue of Unity and show, that your design decisions are made without actually considering user workflows...

Henrarz likes this.
  22. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Also curious as to the use case for changing unity version without opening it. I've heard this mentioned elsewhere but it feels like if we added that it would create a lot of risk where people are changing their version and -

a) not seeing if they would break something as you can only see that once it launches
    b) not being able to recall what version it USED to be in order to change it back if need be (granted we could solve this another way but it seems like we would be solving a problem that doesn't need to exist)

Carwashh likes this.
  23. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey Tom, you are absolutely right. And we are fixing it, in our new design, it takes you straight to the Missing version to install immediately or offers you the nearest higher LTS release if you want to go to that. There are advanced options to open with / install any other editor of course but the main option is to Install missing. Sorry for the frustration you've experienced in the meantime.

soleron likes this.
  24. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Light mode is in our backlog to add back, but we're basing our prioritisation of that on the data we see from the Editor which shows us low usage of light mode now that dark mode is free there too. We have the design system readied but currently we are focused on improving new project flow and Install management as higher priorities to be clear.

Thygrrr likes this.
  25. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey Baste, long time no speak hope you are good! are you referring to the items transat lists above your post? Release notes are a no brainer, we should definitely resolve that, i'll talk to our Product folks. Re: changing version without launching, I'm confused as to why , see my reply to him above.

26. Baste

Baste

Long time indeed! Doing pretty good, you?

In Hub 2 (and perhaps 1?), you could switch the editor-version in the version drop-down without actually opening the project. So that made it feel like you changed the editor version, even though you totally didn't. So that felt really bad and weird, as you made a change in the UI, but that didn't actually do anything.

That doesn't happen anymore in Hub 3, where you can't change the editor version without also opening the project. I can't quite remember when Hub 3 went out of beta, but there's a good chance that the user was asking when Hub 2 was still default. Or maybe they have some other reason I'm not aware of!

I don't actually think this is an important feature, but I have seen it asked for by other people a bunch of times, so I assume that they have some use for it?

27. Baste

Baste

This is great! What made you change your mind? I was pretty surprised when the feature got dropped from Hub 3. Pretty sure I started asking for it when Hub 1 shipped, and kept asking for it until it was finally added to Hub 2.

28. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

I'll be honest with you I wasn't on Hub around that time so I'm not sure how it didn't make it into Hub 3, or rather it did but without obviously being clear on the workflow. My team is now on Hub as well so looking forward to engaging on this and other improvements.

Baste likes this.
  29. Baste

Baste

Great to hear you're on the Hub now!

I've got some other feedback. Since this thread is ancient, it's not that easy to see what's relevant anymore. Here's the current pain-points that cause me and the other people in our company real problems:

Major:
    - The Hub doesn't handle the version changing after it's opened. That's a common occurrence, as the version could be changed by pulling something from version control. So if we pull, and then open the project, we might end up rolling the version back by accident!
    - There's still occasional bugs where the UI shows that we're logged in, but we're not actually logged in. What happens then is that the Hub complains that we're missing a license when we try to open a project, which causes a bunch of confusion. Obviously don't have a good way to repro this since it involves a logon timing out on your end somehow.
    - Still not confident that this thing: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub-3-1-0-node-ipc-incident.1254597/ won't happen again. The message that was conveyed to us was "All other dependency changes have also been reviewed and cleared". What I didn't get from that was why the bug happened in the first place, and what you've done to prevent it from happening in the future.

Minor:
    - The missing "download missing version" button (but you're fixing that!)
    - We have to redo the list of added components each time we install a new version. I have unchecked VS Community and Documentation and checked IL2CPP something like 100 times. Please remember our choices here!

30. soleron

soleron

In case you want to change the version today and find out what breaks tomorrow :D
    Or someone who is forgetful and tomorrow they will not remember that they wanted to change version. Or why. :p

To my understanding it is more a psychological thing.

31. soleron

soleron

Suggestion: Please Bring the Asset Store on the Hub.

JesOb likes this.
  32. termway

termway

- Add a note column in the project tab or the possibility to change the name of the project so its easy to know which project are used even when it's the same folder name

suggestion_unity_hub.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Sailendu, JesOb and Loden_Heathen like this.
  33. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Yes I hate it that the folder name is the project name :)

What we started doing when we use Git as a source repo is to have a folder similarly named UnitySrc or whatever but then within that we have a folder named for the project so for example

D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Unity\<UnityHub Project Name>

This actually works out well as we can store things we want/need to source control but arn't Unity centric a layer up so for example

D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Web\...
    D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Marketing\...

It also means we can store things that are "unity" but are not part of the Unity game project e.g.

D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Unity\<UnityHub Sandbox Project Name>
    D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Unity\<Maya Project Folder>
    D:\GitRepos\<Company Project Name>\Unity\<Substance Projects>

termway likes this.
  34. mgear

mgear

tried to add modules to 2019 LTS, but cannot.. (i'd think 2019 LTS is still commonly used in longer projects, so would be nice to keep support slightly longer.. since adding modules only needs few extra string to fetch those downloads)
    upload_2022-7-27_12-54-31.png

Unifikation likes this.
  35. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

This happens easily once a week in our distributed teams during early/mid-project dev work. It's a big one, subtle as it may be. It also happens at least once every Unity Update, even when late in the project.

(having an additional protection against changing any ProjectSettings, manifest.json, etc., would be great; this is more of a PlasticSCM and Git issue, however)

Oh god, yes. It's even worse - if you have any other install(s) already installing, the window where you select the modules checkbox list will reset itself to default WHILE you are selecting things in that dialog whenever a background task step completes.

I must have installed VS 2019 Community a dozen times by accident... I wonder how that class of bug is even possible but I guess it relates to implementing the UI as a Webview/Electron app instead of a real windowing toolkit like Qt or others.

The hub is actually beautifully simple and straightforward in what it does, I sometimes ask myself why Electron was chosen, especially in light of the recent CVEs reported for Unity Hub that came from use of compromised npm modules.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  36. Sailendu

Sailendu

I think the feature to rename a project without renaming the folder (as mentioned in the quoted post) is very essential, please give us a way to do this.

JesOb likes this.
  37. progara

progara

38. vic1908

vic1908

this is the most S*** app ever i cant even import a packige im never ever goint to use this crap again

39. Mixxit

Mixxit

must the hub app take up such space for 'Unity Cloud'? I dont use unity cloud and on the default windowed view it is collapsing the name so i cant tell the difference between two projects like BigEnvironmentPack3 and BigEnvironmentPack2 and i cant even hover over to see i have to expand the window instead

Wouldnt cloud make more sense as a red/green icon on the left?

upload_2024-3-4_12-27-26.png

Attached Files:

Loden_Heathen likes this.