Search Unity

Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by tonic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JohannesMP

JohannesMP

Please add a 'Remove from List' option to the '...' menu on the right side of a project in the Projects tab. Right now it only has 'Show in Explorer'

SOICGeek likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Already in the works.

JohannesMP likes this.
  3. Nyphur

Nyphur

I've just had my first experience with login issues in Unity Hub, and the software's handling of connectivity issues is just awful. For starters, the Unity Hub software itself simply won't launch if you have no internet connection at all -- you'll end up with two Unity Hub processes in your task manager at about 5mb and 9mb that just sit there and do nothing.

The big problem is that Unity Hub automatically invalidates your licenses and locks you out of your local projects when it can't contact the login server. You have to use a manual activation workaround via the Unity website (for which login works just fine even though the app can't log in) just to get into your projects, and then you can't access anything that requires your login such as the Asset store or Collaborate. It's almost impossible to work in Unity now without an internet connection or if the Unity login servers are having trouble.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is not true for me. Unity Hub starts normally; I'm just not logged in. I can also start my projects normally. You should tell what platform you are using: Linux, Windows 10 or Mac and report a bug. I'm under Windows 7 SP1.

Sans-titre-1.jpg

5. Avalin

Avalin

I'm not sure why this whole layout-change has been necessary. I've always been really fond of the hub, but since 2.0 I feel it's been wonky and uncomfortable to use. Due to the "white box-look" it seems so packed with information, and it all looks very cramped and uncomfortable.

That aside, I have a friend who is getting himself to learn Unity, so he installed the hub and the newest version of Unity. That means he was using the alpha version which had some inconvenient bugs. In my opinion it's not a good thing when alpha-beta-stable versions are ambigious. The little "a" and "b" gets lost in translation with new users. And I especially don't get why they would be at the top as a first potential install, that does not seem intuitive. It was easier before with the "Beta installs" button. But also the whole "Add" is a quite ambiguous button too. Add what? A project? A new install? (Same goes with the "New" button.) It doesn't seem right that you have to click a button before you figure out what it'll do. The old hub said "New project" and "Add install" (as far as I remember), which was perfectly understandable.

Also the many bugs. My license is sometimes unrecognizable, and despite stable connection to the internet my projects from Unity Collaborate are not being updated unless I reopen the hub a few times, and sometimes even have to restart my PC.

I also have no clue where the hub even gets my projects from? I have a folder specifically for the projects I want in my hub, but the hub seems to find all projects I've ever downloaded ever, which feels a bit inconvenient for my use.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. JohannesMP

JohannesMP

Please re-add the ability to mark a preferred install that new projects default to.
    upload_2019-6-10_19-55-22.png
    This used to be an option in the pre-2.0 version of the HUB. It's baffling that this feature was removed.

As far as I can tell, HUB 2.0 will always default to the newest version, even if it's an alpha release(!). Why not at least have a setting for 'never default to alpha or beta builds'?

In my workflow I create new prototyping projects on a fairly regular basis, and since the HUB 2.0 upgrade I've lost count of the number of times I created a new project by simply clicking 'NEW' instead of clicking the small drop-down arrow next to 'NEW' to manually select the version and thus ended up with a project that is the wrong version which I then have to manually downgrade.
    upload_2019-6-10_20-1-15.png

I don't want to uninstall 2019, It's useful to have for occasional testing, but let me select the preferred default again...

Annoyingly as well, despite having a huge amount of space on the right side of the 'Create a new project' dialogue, there is no option in this window to select the version of Unity here:
    upload_2019-6-10_20-0-8.png
    I understand that the templates available depend on the version selected, but why not show the version selection first, then the name and location, and dynamically re-populate the templates view when the user changes version on that one screen?

Attached Files:

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Things that I found:

- without clicking the dropdown, the NEW button has no indication of which Unity version a new project will be created in. This should be directly visible somewhere. If that was clear, maybe it makes it even more clear that you can select the desired version from the dropdown.

- Having a lot of Unity versions installed, installing a new one will instantly align itself in the roster. If that was an old version, I have to scroll down to see the installation status. It would be nice if the version currently being installed was listed at the top until finished

- since this is Unity and you cannot change the logo of each installation anyway, why not remove it and save space to pack more for overview sakes

- UWP does have the Unity logo instead of at least the Windows logo. I guess there is no official differentiation between windows standalone and UWP, icon wise, but it would be more consistent if it was something besides the Unity logo.

- At least for Unity Versions up to 2019, the UWP icons should include an indication of them being NET or IL2CPP to see which is installed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

It does, you must click on the arrow on the right and choose from the drop down menu,

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I rephrased

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

BUG: Installing Unity with the HUB still creates desktop shortcuts, which are basically useless as running Unity with them requires the credentials to be entered that normally are provided by the HUB

11. bugradnmz

bugradnmz

Old times were better. Cant even open my project now. "Editor launch error: C\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe cannot be opened". Without installing Unity hub. I can open my project but an annoying warning shows up saying download unity hub everytime. I hate warnings or suggestions. I clear everyone of them while developing but this warning in the opening annoys me (which i can't get rid off). Isnt there an execute paramater like "-nohub" etc. for get rid of warning?

12. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I preferred when Unity Editor opened the projects itself. No need for extra programs like the hub.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

What if you have multiple projects using the same Editor version. How do you open them all?

14. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I work on 3 targets. Mobile (one editor), PS4 (another), Nintendo Switch (another).
    I have different variants of my games for each of these projects to handle them better.
    If I have the same editor for all its not convenient because:
    1) Unity releases eg 2019.1.3 but PS4 releases this version after 2 weeks but Nintendo releases it after 4 weeks. So in order for me to be in sync and use the same Editor for all I have to wait 4 weeks to do it and since then mobile editor will be 3 versions higher. Now I can install any version for each of my targets and always be up to date.
    Now the hub ruined this for me and that is why I am still under 2018 editor.
    I hope you guys listen and unlock the hub to install many variants of the same version.

15. pionone

pionone

Hello,

I have a small request. Every time I start Unity Hub I have to resize it's Window to see all the info's I need. It would be nice if Unity Hub would remember it's last window size.

16. Carwashh

Carwashh

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same thing for me; Unity Hub 2.0.2.

Capture.JPG
    Plus: the "Installs" tab targets the beta or alphas versions of Unity. Any newbie would install these versions and start working on their projects, not knowing that beta and alpha versions are not for production, they are for testing.

@Charles_Beauchemin The selection should target the latest final version and hide the beta and alpha versions under a specific tab.

Capture2.JPG

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

On the bright side, the Getting Started tutorials now open directly in a final version. In the previous versions of the Hub, they opened in the beta or alpha version if you had one installed.

Capture.JPG

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

All the recently opened projects look like if they have never been opened before. It would actually be nice if I knew what Target platform that is:

upload_2019-6-19_18-35-58.png

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Every time windows either gets upgraded or updated to a new minor version due to regular or insider preview updates, the HUB looses it's keys. Every time. I had to reenter them about 10 times during the last months.
    The "Check for Update" link under "License Management" does not seem to work either when the license is lost.
    Can this be fixed?

21. Carwashh

Carwashh

There must be something more going on there, I'm on the insider preview too (slow updates IIRC) and don't get this issue.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've just formatted my notebook and ran into this after windows installed its latest update. It happens every time that I need to update the license. But I have no idea where to look.
    Btw. is this forum post even the right place to report anything HUB related? I think there was a version that had an report issue menu, which is gone now.

23. SOICGeek

SOICGeek

I want to second this. And third, fourth, and fifth. NDAs can get dicey.

I work with a lot of clients, many of whom have a non-disclosure agreement in which I can't even reveal the name of the project. Clients often come in to check out multiple projects, and I have to switch between them. With Hub, I have to have them turn around and look the other way just so I can open the other project without violating an NDA. I would rather have an option to not have a recent projects list at all.

Another option would be to have a per-project option to obscure the name of the project or not include it in the list if it's under an NDA.

Still another way, which might have some nice organizational side benefits, is allow the use of project groups. Name each group after the client and put their projects in that group. That way, all the client sees is who my other clients are. I brag about that anyway for promotional purposes.

JohannesMP likes this.
  24. SOICGeek

SOICGeek

Another issue with the Hub is that it doesn't synchronize licensing with the editor. The other day, I had a team member who couldn't get build for android to work. It kept telling him he had an invalid license. It turned out he was signed in with the editor, but not in Unity Hub. Once he signed in to Unity Hub, it worked. It took an hour to figure this out.

Things like this need to be ironed out in Hub before it's mandatory. I like the idea of Unity Hub, because it's a central place to manage everything. I hope we continue working on it. But before making it mandatory, like it is with 2019+ (I think), we need for it to be reasonably bug-free. I know there will always be bugs - after all, I'm a developer myself. But you can get them to a level where they're not disruptive - and right now, Hub is disruptive for me.

25. lulitd

lulitd

A small ux thing, currently when the hub can't find a project (ie. because the path of the project changed or deletion), it looks the same as a found project. Clicking on a "lost" project will silently fail, leaving the user to wonder why the project didn't open.

It would be great if there was some indication if the hub can't find the project, ie. colour change or notification symbol. Also, have the ability to relocate a project and remove the project entry from the hub would be ideal.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

A redirect folder option would be nice. Alternative to redirection in case of a deleted project could be removing the project directly instead of dealing with it after restart of the HUB

27. CoolDogXXXX

CoolDogXXXX

This problem still exists - I have Unity 2017.4.16 installed and Unity Hub 2.1.0 detects the version as 2017.4.0.

Attached Files:

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Every project in the list shows up with "None Assigned" under "Target Platform". It would actually be nice to see what platform I was on last time I started each. This worked some time ago (3 - 4 months maybe?)

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's still working today, at least for me.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Reinstalled it, nothing. Is there more to a complete removal than just an uninstall? deleting some configs somewhere I'm not aware of?

31. Carwashh

Carwashh

If you only have 1 module installed, it works fine, install a second+ and it stays as "None Assigned"

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Deleted User likes this.
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, @Carwashh is most probably right. I have no modules installed, it says "Windows 64bits" by default. I always forget about the modules; I install them when I need them and I don't need them much for now...

33. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Deleted User and Carwashh like this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity I'm unable to remember where we discussed the next update for the Hub, so I'm posting here.

Since the update we talked about is still not live, I rolled back to Unity Hub 2.0.4. I installed it in its own Unity Hub 2.0.4 directory so that there is no confusion and, to make sure that it doesn't update to 2.1.0 without my consent, I deleted both __update__ and its content and app-update.yml. Now, my Hub is automatically logged in and the sizes problems are gone.

I keep 2.1.0 installed; I'll start it once in a while but I'll use it again as soon as the automatic log in and the sizes problems have been fixed. :)

35. Carwashh

Carwashh

That's great news, but when can we expect the update? It's VERY tedious having to wait for the project to import every time I open it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  36. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@APSchmidt @Carwashh We are planning on releasing this week if everything goes well :)

Also, please don't use old versions of the Hub. :eek:

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, 2.0.4 works... :p

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Never ever change a running system :D

Deleted User likes this.
  39. Deleted User

Deleted User

:D

40. Carwashh

Carwashh

@AbrahamDUnity

Back in about March, there was a roadmap released (I forget at which event..), I swear it said the Hub was getting a dark theme in 2.1.0... is this happening?

41. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Deleted User likes this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

....hmm...no™, apparently... :D

43. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

The latest Unity Hub 2.1.1 lost track of all my projects. Extremely annoying. EDIT: Apparently not, but I had to shut it down and restart it for them to show...

Still no links to Release Notes on add version tab, quite disappointed they can't add this.

44. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Hypertectonic We're aware of the issue. We'll tackle it very soon as it is quite annoying. It shouldn't happen consistently though.

And @APSchmidt I didn't mean this release! :p

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't have that problem.

@AbrahamDUnity The sizing problem seems to be fixed; I can now resize the window and place it wherever I want and it holds. Good job! :)

I'll have to see about the log in problem I had. I'll know about that tomorrow morning when I start my computer.

A dark theme for the Hub is on the way then?

46. Carwashh

Carwashh

I've seen screenshots of it!

47. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Screenshots of mockups have been circulated during Unite events. That said we haven't gotten around to implementing it yet. We can't commit to a release right now but I'll bring it up to see if we can fit it in 2019 :D.

Carwashh likes this.
  48. arvzg

arvzg

Have given this feedback a while ago, but wanted to echo it again so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle

I would REALLY love to have the ability to have custom project names for the project list. At our company, we name all our Unity project folders 'UnityProject', so the unity hub project list just becomes all UnityProject. The paths are displayed, so that at least helps a little, but it's much harder to see than the big bold black title

jasperstocker and JesOb like this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's a good idea. :)

So far so good:
    • no log in problem this morning,
    • resizing works and holds.
    Good job, keep at it! :d

50. JesOb

JesOb

This is also annoying when you copy project to be able to run 2 of it for network debug and then you have 2 identical entry in HUB and elsewhere.

Best solution for us would be able to set Unity project name different from containing folder or at least add postfix to name :)