Search Unity

Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by tonic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @AlanMattano ,

For the ProjectVersion.txt problem, the bahavior is based on the Editor opening the project. The Hub currently do not handle this part, but we will evaluate to offer a consistent flow.

For resizable Hub, it's currently on our roadmap.
    As for the open folder location, it's on our feature request list. Thanks for the UX suggestion.

AlanMattano likes this.
  2. misher

misher

Recently I had very bad performance within Unity Editor caused by Unity Hub background processes (Windows 10). Lags immediatly goes away when i kill them with task manager. I used many versions of unity editor, the most laggy was 2017.4.1f1, but it also present with 2018+.

3. michaelwolf95

michaelwolf95

When installing a new Unity version from the Hub, there's only a small, blue progress bar indicating the progress of the installation. This gives very little feedback for the user, and obscures info that developers might want to see.

It would be nice if there was an option to use the original installer UI.

4. brinca

brinca

Feature request:
    • Ability to change the project name to a custom string (for display purposes only, within Unity Hub)

Use case:
    For versioning/organization reasons, I often have my Unity projects under a "<Project Name>/unity" folder, so that I can have other, non-Unity related folders under the same root (e.g. "<Project Name>/art", "<Project Name>/marketing", etc).
    The problem is that, since both the Unity launcher and Unity Hub take the project name from the project folder, I get a bunch of projects listed as "unity".
    This is not critical as I can still differentiate between the projects by looking at the path, but it would be nice to be able to customize each name, at least within the Unity Hub context.

Implementation suggestions:
    1. When the user edits the project name, store a string associated with that project's path, and on every listing first check to see if a string is stored for the given entry's path, and if not display the folder name as usual
    2. Alternatively, simply check to see if the project's folder name is "unity", in which case it should use the parent folder's name instead (and it could check for other common names as well, such as "dev", "client", "game", etc)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    dri_richard and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  5. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Hey, so I just read about Unity Hub and Templates and that I could post my ideas here...

Please, PLEASE, make adding, customising and (probably not gonna happen, but) overriding templates a thing. It would be so handy if I can just pick a template that has all my property drawers, custom editors, editor windows, serialisations and some regular assets pre-installed.

Also, what would be really cool is a high-performance / low-performance hybrid template, where the graphics adjust depending on what platform you're on. It would in most cases probably be better if the developers regulated this themselves, but if it's customisable enough it would let those developers regulate where needed, and what they overlooked is now, automatically, not eating up any precious GPU anymore. But I don't know enough about Unity-settings to know if what I propose is possible, but I hope it is.

And lastly, Unity 2018... tops. Keep at it (and make serialisable Dictionaries a thing already, God... bless!)

Thumbs up to the whole team.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Please let us rename projects, and project folders from hub

Moosety likes this.
  7. JesOb

JesOb

Add button to view whats new for each version of Unity in install tab

8. RobG88

RobG88

Had been using Unity Hub fine, upgraded to Unity .17, seemed okay since it was released.

Installing 2018.1.2.f1 and 2018.2.0b6 have some how messed up all my installs.

Trying to launch ANY project with either 2018 install or 2017.4.4f1 now all result with this issue/error:

upload_2018-5-29_22-26-36.png

upload_2018-5-29_22-27-19.png

I'm now UNINSTALLING EVERYTHING, Hub and Unity in hopes that I can clean registry and get an install working.

9. sebas77

sebas77

using this thread to add another feedback from me: can you add a menu option that links the releases notes for each install?

10. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

Feature request:
    • Add a link to the changelog for each version next to the download buttons.

It's a really simple request, and really important. Would save me and others the hassle of looking for the changelog each time we are looking to download a new version!

Feature request:
    • Could we also have an uninstall option? Being able to get rid of all the ancient unity installs that litter my computer from the same place I install them would be sweet.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  11. Selaphiel

Selaphiel

Can there be a cloud sync of local projects, so where ever i install hub, i get all my projects. Unity collaborate's direct integration could also work.

12. SibochCZ

SibochCZ

Once the installation of some component fails, the Hub doesn't show options for uninstall or add components.
    In the menu I can see just Set as preferred and remove from the list. Happened twice. (Mac OS)

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

It would be nice if you could keep the hub open to launch several versions of Unity at once. Right now, for each version I have to reopen it because it closes on launch. I'm working with 2 projects simultaneously sometimes

Edit: It just hides, nevermind

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2018
  14. orb

orb

My hub just hides. I use it on macOS though.

Deleted User likes this.
  15. ludos

ludos

I havent read all the feedbacks, but what i am missing is to be able to install any Unity version available in the hub. I have projects i am working on in a team and mixing versions is a bad idea. Yesterday i updated the unity version on one computer, this day i cannot install the same version on another computer because it's there is only a newer version available on the hub. Of course i can install it manually, but whats the purpose of the hub then?

mikelortega likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

You mean beta versions and such. Yes I'd like to see an option to pick whatever version you need.

17. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Can we get the option through the unity hub to choose where we should be able to Install Unity3D? Like on another drive or something.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

@HeadClot88
    When you click the cog/ settings icon at the top, you can choose the installations root folder where all installs go.

19. pionone

pionone

A link to the release notes on the "Installs->Official Releases" page would be handy.

20. Trond

Trond

Hello, i just cleaned my computer of old Unity installs, and i noticed Hub does not detect that is now points to installs which is no longer present. It would be nice to at least have a refresh button, where Hub would prompt you a dialog telling you that one or more installs no longer exists, and gives you the option to remove it/them from the list. Thanks.

21. Bamboy

Bamboy

Unity Hub v1.0.0
    It just doesn't work if you don't have an internet connection. Can't open any project (does nothing) or create a new project.
    You have to manually open the unity version you want to use.

22. Micz84

Micz84

Why beta downloads from Unity Hub is delayed in comparison to the website?
    I start Unity get a notification about new version check in Unity Hub and there is now a new version but on the website there is.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

My suggestion is to show the platform selection popup the first time a project is opened and the library is missing. My setup is switching between Android, UWP and Standalone a lot and sometimes I just have to delete the library for a fresh reimport. Often I forget that the default platform is not the last one I used but standalone when just clicking the project. It would be nice to be prompted instead of remembering to press the 3 dots to do that specifically.

24. orb

orb

As long as it's an option that would be great. Not so great for those who only ever build locally for one platform and pull from version control to build on the others ;)

25. UDN_3b9dee39-3d59-439c-99f1-8ce6cd3a2e1a

UDN_3b9dee39-3d59-439c-99f1-8ce6cd3a2e1a

When I open the "advanced open" window & close it, trying to open it again just launches the "preferred" Unity version. Why am I limited to opening this window only once?

26. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    This seems to be a bug.
    I just tried and do not seem to reproduce.
    The next time it happens, please, may you report a bug using the "Report a bug" from tray menu? This will attach the logs and we will be able to observe if an error occurs.

Thanks for reporting

Joe

27. yatagarasu

yatagarasu

Still can not fix the project upgrade bug?

28. Dover8

Dover8

Shared Resources folder for Unity installs. In particular for Script templates (so I don't need to replace them for every Unity install/update).

Gillissie_BnC likes this.
  29. Gillissie_BnC

Gillissie_BnC

Why does the hub window close when I open a project from it? There doesn't seem to be a way to re-show the window without quitting the hub and relaunching it. I'd be ok with it auto-quitting instead of just closing the window and still running in the background. I'm on Mac.

30. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi there,

I really love the Hub and I wanted to report an small issue that is potentially impacting a lot of people and very easy to fix.

After I realized I could right click on the tray icon and quickly select one of the projects I'm working on, I started using that feature a lot. It is just great. But, very often that menu gets hidden by another Windows menu (see screenshot). Moreover, that menu itself seems buggy and don't close on click-out. Very annoying :)

It's very easy to reproduce, hold the right click button on the icon then move slightly up (that's what you would do next to select a project, right?) and release. The issue happens 50% of the time (on Windows 10 at least).

I realized one thing: all other icons in the tray opens their contextual menu on UP. But you guys open the menu on DOWN.

Keep up the great work guys! I also love the new button on the Download Archive. Just amazing!

Attached Files:

31. Mickey_omar

Mickey_omar

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hub 1.3.2: I need to sign in each first time I start the hub every day. To do so, I need to click on "Sign In"; nothing seems to happen but after a while the hub updates itself and I am logged in.

Not sure this is supposed to happen. ;)

Edit: I forgot: the "In the Cloud" tab loads endlessly, which is weird because I have nothing on the cloud.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

When we launch the hub, could we get a popping up message informing us of the newly released versions of Unity instead of:
    • having to visit the "Beta Releases" and "Official Releases" every day?
    • having to launch the versions that are already installed on our machines and get the "New version available" pop up window?
    :)

34. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Frequently seeing "License Errors" and having to "Re-activate" my license. Rather annoying.

35. VR_Nima

VR_Nima

Three feature requests:

1. The ability to hit the ellipsis(...) button next to an on-disk project and hit "Show on disk".
    2. The ability to hit the ellipsis(...) button next to an on-disk project and hit "Duplicate Project". This is useful when attempting to upgrade to a new version of Unity. Sometimes, this is a task we may assign to a Junior team member, so the easier, the better. Having it all in Unity Hub would be the most fool-proof solution.
    3. The ability to hit the ellipsis(...) button next to an on-disk project and choose the Preferred Unity version on a per-project basis. Having one preferred version globally is great, but certain projects should be able to choose a different preference and override the global one.

Deleted User likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think it would be even nicer if you were shown an exclamation mark or something, indicating a newer version and then you can just choose to open the project in the newer Unity version. If you choose to do so the hub would then just download it with the same module configuration as the predecessor and opens the project, without the conversion prompt. It could very well ask if the prior version should be removed during that step.
    I totally agree that a next step should be to move the "new version available" popup from the editor to the hub.

JesOb likes this.
  37. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

Every time I update Unity Hub, all my unity installs are deleted. I don't understand why the installs are coupled to the hub installs/updates. I keep updating hoping that this is the time it's fixed and keep getting burned. It's enough to make me go back to manually choosing my unity editor version.

38. Baste

Baste

It's because you're putting the editor installs in the same folder as the Unity Hub.

Granted, that's the sensible place to put them, but the way the hub "updates" is apparently to delete everything in it's folder unconditionally, and then install back to the same folder.

This problem has been brought up on the forums before.

39. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

Sorry. I wasn't clear. Of course, I understand how they are coupled. I don't understand how they are still coupled after so many versions.

Maybe I don't understand what the point of Unity Hub is supposed to be.

Would someone from Unity be able to make that more clear?

40. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

So this question has probably also been asked, too, but maybe not for 1.6.0.

Is there any chance that changing the Editors location will solve this problem going forward or are they going to hunt down all the installs and delete them on my next update?

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just do not install the editors inside the Unity Hub install folder. Why would you install a software inside the installation folder of another software anyway? :)

@joeksy What would be good is that we cannot install the editors inside the Unity Hub directory.

42. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Currently, we are not adding any restrictions to the install path.
    Since this issue may concern more than just placing one restriction, we decided to not move forward with a simplified fix.
    While not likely, it does not stop the user from installing Editor under Hub's folder using Download assistant, nor stopping a user from installing other software under the folder.

I will bring this back on in discussion with the team and see if we settle with a simpler solution.

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

True and now that's I think a little further, the problem has always been there...

It happens that I would never consider installing a software inside another software install folder but I just noticed today, on another forum, that people apparently do that, with consequences they don't understand. Go figure...

44. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

Nor would I. It just started out with the wrong configuration, when I installed it.

I don't remember being asked or even informed that there was a setting I could change.

45. cambarkro

cambarkro

Unity Hub Needed Feature:

* Option to remove opened projects history from project tab.

JohannesMP likes this.
  46. kiichii

kiichii

Unity Hub Needed Feature:
    Setting a file/project as a Master File, so that we can duplicate a project with ease for trying things, more like a SourceTree thing but doesn't take up much versions, branches, etc.

47. heparo

heparo

Hello Team

Problem : the editor version used to launch a project is not kept for all projects and i keep having the warning icon...

Globally : with version 2.0.0, regression from my point of view in the launch panel, the list is unclear (subjective - for example a list item is not a button or change it to look like a button) than previous version. Also, as a unique user i don't care how many hours ago i modified my project....The L&F of version 1 was more pleasent (better use of the area, better contrast, less informations). Also, the preferences panel is veryyyyy poor and no way to FORGET or ADD a project. I don't use the LEARN panel. The INSTALLS panel was more understandable in version 1 than in version 2 (what is the current version etc... the ADD buttonis unclear and unnecessary)

Conclusion : if i could i would go back to version 1.y.z while waiting for a better version 2.y.z

Anyway, thx to the team for the hard work, go on for next versions

Kind regards

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  48. tonic

tonic

After a long time testing early version(s) of Unity Hub, I tested the latest 2.x version. When comparing to my original concerns (see first message in this thread), the minor ones have been addressed. But, the "showstopper" issue of having a constant background process occasionally spiking CPU has not been fixed (for example when working on some especially timing-critical stuff like VR, that's not very acceptable).

Here's a list of the issues I now noticed, some of this is repeat of the original ones I reported.
    1. Unity Hub always stays open in the background, no option to prevent that.
      After launching Unity Hub once, its processes stay in the background after that. There is no settings option to prevent that. Instead I have to manually quit it every time from the system tray icon. I simply don't want to have it running in the background automatically.
    2. Unity Hub doesn't know how to use all Unity versions.
      Unity Hub doesn't know how to open a project which is built with Unity 3.5.7f6. I need to use that old version to upload an asset to asset store which supports all unity versions starting from that one. Unity Hub did allow adding editor v3.5.7 manually to list of installs by locating the editor executable. But that doesn't help it to launch a project using that version.
    3. This one I'm not 100% sure about, but it seems like installing Unity Hub messed up license for Unity 5.0.0f4?
      I keep that version installed similarly for asset store upload reasons. I also had to manually locate and add that editor installation. But, after adding it, Unity Hub did correctly open a project using that version.
    Please add these options to settings, to help with the issues listed above:

a. (Priority)
    "[x] Do not keep Unity Hub processes running in the background." - Meaning: Unity Hub processes will be open only when its actual Window is visible. When I have launched a project with Unity, or just closed the Unity Hub manually, the processes of Unity Hub itself should close (if this proposed option has been enabled).
    b. ("nice to have") More than one manually entered path to General > Editors Folder Location. I seem to have the oldest Unity 32-bit versions installed under the "Program Files (x86)" variant, while all newer 64-bit versions under "Program Files". I only entered the 64-bit install folder location manually there. Probably because of that the oldest editor versions weren't automatically detected for me and I had to enter them one-by-one by finding the editor executable?

49. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

New It needs to install multiple Unity with the same version. Eg Unity 2019.1.5 PS4, Unity 2019.1.5 Nintendo Swift, Unity 2019.1.5 normal for all rest. Also be able to rename the install to track it better.This is basic for pros.

50. vbelkin

vbelkin

There is no obvious way to see full path to a project directory if it is long. Tool tip is no longer shown.
    Unity Hub 2.0.1