Search Unity

Unity Hub Feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by tonic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. tonic

tonic

• No option to choose install location - Forcibly installed to C-drive. I have a different drive for work (with all the different Unity versions installed, and so on).

• Didn't recognize existing Unity ID authorization on this computer, although all the actual Unity editors work just fine. After re-authorizing, does Hub "eat" one of the two allowed installs?

• Wouldn't detect automatically any of Unity versions I had already installed (~20 of them).

• When manually adding Unity versions, it mistakenly detected the actual versions. For example, I added Unity 5.6.5f1 and it was detected as 5.6.0b1 when showing up in the Installs-list. Because of this, the Hub won't actually open the projects which need that particular Unity version. I guess this is because I have originally installed 5.6.0b1 and many other 5.6.x versions over it, letting the installer always uninstall the previous one. That way removed versions still tend to show up in the Windows Programs and Features -list, so probably something is always left in the registry of those earlier versions and Hub will end up seeing the original version installed. All of those 5.6.x installs have shared same install folder, so that I can have static shortcuts pinned to start menu which point to "Unity 5.6" or "2017.2" regardless of what are the exact versions.

• Unity Hub seems quite heavy application for what it is. I tend to be rather picky about what's running in the background, especially if they keep eating more memory than a few MB and/or using CPU. Some findings here:
      • After closing the application, it leaves two processes open (about 120 MB of memory, growing each time opening & closing Hub). Having the processes there didn't seem to make it exceptionally fast to startup, if that is the intention. Opening Hub will open yet another process.
      • One of the two background processes keeps eating CPU a bit all the time, spiking a bit occasionally. Not a lot, but enough to notice.
      • Probably a big reason is that the app seems to be made by embedding chromium/node and whatnot. I wish not so many apps would use that model, especially for cases where the software is kept open all the time. To have a bad & good examples for a reference: compare memory&CPU usage of Slack and Telegram (on Desktop windows). Slack has internally the same chromium/node stuff, and can grow up to huge amounts of memory (over 1GB), and is often quite slow when using it. Telegram Desktop is lightweight, has similar functionality (rich enough), and uses only 50-60 MB of memory.
      • I guess it'd be huge change to fix everything I listed in above points. So, at the very minimum, I request you add an option that Unity Hub will never run in the background once it's closed.

So far I have habit of including Unity version in name of the project folder, so that it's rather easy to pick up right Unity shortcut and then select the project. A launcher like Unity Hub would be a replacement for that way of working. But so that one would actually use it, it needs to be lightweight enough so that opening doesn't feel like a chore (or running it doesn't feel like waste of resources, if it's in the background).

mgear, bjarkeck, Arsonistic and 6 others like this.
  2. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello, thank you for your feedback! It's always appreciated!
    For the install location choice, we are working on adding this feature. It should be available sooner than later!
    The automatic detection feature is part of our backlog.
    We'll look into that strange behaviour you get from locating a version, thank you.
    We will also work on improving the size and, hopefully, performance of the app in general. However, since it is in the tray menu, closing it does not actually close it entirely. To fully quit the app, you can right-click on the tray menu icon and select 'quit'.

Once again, thank you for your comments!

jashan likes this.
  3. asethi

asethi

Hi,
    Below are some of the feedback after using Unity Hub for a week:
    • The application is very processor heavy.
    • Opening a project using unity versions less than or equal to 2017.3.0f3 doesn't create any problem, but when creating a new project or opening an existing project for the first time for 2018.1.0b4 version, the UnityEditor crashes every time and a window with "Debug program" and "Close Program" buttons shows. But after the first time, it opens any 2018.1.0b4 version project smoothly. This bug happens every time even after restarting or using only Unity Hub application overall.
    • The listing of projects is very random and their sorting changes every time a project is closed or opened. It should w.r.t to Modified Date. This is a very major bug for a small feature.
    • Opening any 3D, Highend or Lightweight project takes a very long time via Unity Hub but takes very less time using the particular Unity Standalone applications. Also, when using these templates, there are many Shader / Graphics pipeline errors that are displayed in the console and no Shader Graph module is available until Unity Package manager's manifest.json file is edited.

CGinSeattle likes this.
  4. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Would be nice if Unity instances would stack like tabs on Chrome. The Hub is nice but in the end it adds a new icon on my taskbar, which already has 5.6.5, 2017.3 and 2018.1 + my 14 other apps.

5. crocvr

crocvr

Hi,
    • Lack of very important feature for corporate sector - proxy settings. We cannot use it because we need to specify proxy settings for Unity Hub. One possibility to setup proxy rules but we need to know all ip addresses for all services and if something changes it is always pain in the neck.
    P.S. We also have problem with package manager for Unity 2018 because it constantly generate new ip addresses and we cannot setup rules for proxy.

6. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. Noted. I will add them to our issue list.

7. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback. Just to make sure I understood your comment, do you want hub a web application?

8. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

I noted your request for the proxy. For the 2018 issue with the ip addresses, I suggest to post a new thread for editor team

crocvr likes this.
  9. YakDevBrandon

YakDevBrandon

I second this complaint. My C drive is a low capacity M.2, I do not have enough room to install the 2 dozen Unity installs that I usually have on hand. Not being able to select my D:/ or E:/ is a deal breaker.

10. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

This is the most request feature for the hub, and it is on top of our todo list. Stay tuned for updates

jashan likes this.
  11. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

No. I want to be able to use several versions of Unity stacked on the same icon on my taskbar. I don't know if it is possible, but anyway right now the Hub just adds a new icon to the task bar and that is annoying.

12. bomberest0

bomberest0

Please add a tab with patch releases.

13. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

An installation destination chooser would be awesome, and so would a tab for patch releases. Currently I need to install a patch release manually, then if I want it in the Unity Hub hierarchy I need to create a directory there, then manually copy the bits from the main Unity directory, and then finally manually add the installation in the hub. All those extra steps makes using the hub more tedious than not... otherwise I think it's a really cool concept.

Also, I noticed that 2018.1.0b7 just dropped... but does not show up in my hub. I'll assume that I need to quit and relaunch the hub to see it, but am in the middle of a lighting bake in a Unity version launched with the hub. Is the hub launcher completely independent and safe to quit/relaunch without affecting the Unity Editor app?

14. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

I will follow up with other teams to see how we can achieve this.

15. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on a destination chooser as it is the most requested feature by our beta users. Stay tuned for the updates.
    Regarding the patch releases, there is discussion here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/request-patch-releases-and-earlier-unity-versions.514593/
    Regarding the updates, currently, we are checking for new releases every 24hrs and at the Hub startup. It is not perfect, and we consider a better way to inform hub application that there is a new update. (Both for editor and the hub itself)
    Regarding, the last question, if you close the hub while having an editor opened by the hub, the editor will show an error message on the console, and continue to work normally. However, project and license management will fallback to the launcher window since the hub connection is lost

16. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

bomberest0 likes this.
  17. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thanks for the reply. Once my bake finished I gave that a try and saw the error. It didn't seem to work, though, after relaunching the hub (without quitting the 2017.2.1p4 editor session), the b7 installation failed. Exiting both and then restarting, b7 installed without a hitch. The uninstaller also appeared to work smoothly too, I like that feature a lot as well.

18. JeremiahJ

JeremiahJ

This is my #1 complaint right now. I install Unity on a drive other than C:, and that makes Unity Hub entirely useless to me.

19. CGinSeattle

CGinSeattle

Second asethi's comments items 3 and 4. And add one more. When I open a project from Unity (with Hub running), instead of opening the project in the same Unity instance (which is my intent and the behavior before Hub), it now opens a new instance of Unity with the selected project.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

When connected to the network, but without internet (our local provider is on vacation or something, router internet connection is down), the HUB is not able to open either "Learn" or "Installs". The major problem here is that opening a project is also not possible because it complains about finding no installed version at all. Switching on "Flight Mode" shows the small notification bar with the missing internet information after a couple of seconds and everything works again.

21. Molix

Molix

The sorting is a problem -- should not be a difficult fix, but it is a very big usability issue. It actually seems like if you open an item lower down in the list, it swaps the second item with the new item.

There is also a bit of delay before the order refreshes when you come back, so if you do happen to see what you want immediately and click, it may change under your mouse.

Also, Command+Tab (Mac) back to the Hub doesn't seem to bring it to the front; I have to click it in the dock.

(Mac OSX 10.12.6, with Unity Hub 0.13.0)

22. Raresh

Raresh

My suggestions:
    1) Ability to re-scan Unity installations (automatically and manual)
    2.1) When Uninstalling a Unity version that was removed manually, remove it from the list. It gives me an error: The Editor X could not be uninstalled and I don't know how to remove it from the list.
    2.2) Remove Unity installation from the list option
    3) Include Patch releases as well
    4) Group them by type in On My Machine and sort them by version #

23. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

JeremiahJ likes this.
  24. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback.
    We have this bug in our backlog, and we will fix it in future releases.

25. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

The fix for sorting bug is coming soon.

I will add the bug related to the delay to refresh the list.

For the command+tab option though, we want to keep the hub as a background service where you can access it through the tray menu. But, I will discuss your suggestion with our product team to find the best solution.

Thanks again :)

26. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

1) I will discuss this suggestion with our product team.
    2.1) This is a known issue. We are working on that.
    2.2) Similar to 2.1
    3) There is a big thread related to this, and the reasoning behind it: https://forum.unity.com/threads/request-patch-releases-and-earlier-unity-versions.514593/
    4) This is a good suggestion. I will raise it to our product team

27. Baste

Baste

Could we get a choice? Sometimes I want to open a different project in the same instance. Sometimes I want to open a different project in a new instance.

What you've done right now is to change the behaviour of the "open project" button to be "open hub". Because of that, it makes very little sense to get the "old behaviour", where the project gets opened in the same instance. You'd have two different ways of opening the hub, and those two ways would make the hub behave differently.

I'd suggest to do one of the two:
    1) revert the change, so "open project" opens the old open project dialogue instead of the hub.
    2) change the hub, so if you open a project with a different Unity instance open, you get the choice between starting a new Unity instance or opening it in the existing instance.

28. Raresh

Raresh

Another suggestion would be to move the Unity installation to the hub's folder.
    Because if I would install Unity from outside the hub, it will be somewhere in the harddrive, but maybe once Hub locates it I can move it inside Unity Hub folder. Just to make things easier to find maybe :)

29. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Not sure if its been noted yet but indicating a different location to install Unity builds to doesn't seem to work.

I selected my alternate install path for Unity and in the 'Installs' tab it shows as being there however when I browse the folder there is nothing there but 'modules.json' the actual install is still on C drive which is an absolute problem. Many people reserve C for OS and similar and as a result C is rather small and meant to be light weight. For me its just an anoyance (for now) but this does leave me with a problem that the Hub is basicly broken ... it thinks the editor is on D but in reality its on C so if I try to open a project with a version Hub installed it throws an error I end up having to use Windows to locate the Editor and open Unity that way then select the project e.g. old method basicly.

daxiongmao likes this.
  30. orb

orb

Tiresome misfeature: It forgets which packages I picked last time I downloaded Unity. This gets annoying when I have to carefully pick from the list every time there's a new beta.

Also related: Standard Assets are not selected by default in this list. I find that a bit strange. Wouldn't that be a recommended package if you don't know what you're doing?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Installs does not list patch releases. The several versions I was interested in in installing lately have been patch releases. Could that be added as an entry?

32. georgeq

georgeq

1) The "New" and "Learn" buttons do not respond while downloading a new version.
    2) I was downloading version 2018.1.0b9 when it finished downloading and started installing I clicked "New", this time the button did respond but it also canceled the install process.
    3) The hub does not provide a way to remove any installed versions.
    4) There's no way to add or remove componentes of a specific version, like support for different platforms.
    5) The version number is not displayed on the title bar.

33. orb

orb

I don't think it belongs there, since the About… menu is meant for that.

34. georgeq

georgeq

I don't see "About" anywhere in the menu

hub.png

35. georgeq

georgeq

If you try to open a project which its version is not installed, you are prompted to open it with the "Preferred" version or download the project's version, in most cases those are the wisest choices, however that's not always the case.

hubver.png

For example in this specific case I want to open the project with the newest beta, but the system doesn't allow me to do so in an easy way... Ok, it's not such a big deal to change the preferred version and go back, but for some people, that might not be obvious at first glance. I think there's a better way, instead of this window it should display a list of the installed versions with the preferred version as default and also giving you the option to download the version in which the project was open by the last time, that way you could easily chose what ever version you have installed...

36. georgeq

georgeq

There's something wrong with the version installation detection. I tried to install version 2018.1.0b9 through the Unity hub, the installation process failed for some (unknown) reason, and I couldn't see this version on the "Installs" panel, however after a reboot, version 2018.1.0b9 appears as installed, so when I try to open a project with that version I get this message:

hubinst.png

37. orb

orb

38. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @lodendsg,

I believe the issue occurs when occurs when the installation path is change during the installation.
    We are working on the issue and hope to bring the fix soon. More investigation are underway.
    Meanwhile, I would like to kindly ask you to remove the Editor and reinstall it.

Thanks,

Joe

39. craigitsfryday

craigitsfryday

Are there any known issues with Unity Hub and projects that use symbolic links? In one of our projects we pull art assets from a separate repo using SVN. In two different machines (both hub installed), Unity can't load the assets from the symbolically linked repos. On the machines without Hub, there is no issue. I'm curious if this is something known or news? I'm going to attempt uninstalling Hub and seeing if it fixes one of the effected machines.

40. georgeq

georgeq

Yes, but for that you must locate the .exe file first, which is far from being ideal or even optimal.

Yes, you are right, however the Unity editor shows the version number you are running in the title bar, so for consistency the Unity Hub should do the same... as it is part of the same product. Same product same behavior, that's what any customer would expect.

41. georgeq

georgeq

The Unity Hub just updated automatically, very nice, smooth and painless, the first thing I see is that you added "Uninstall" and "Add Component" which is great, but I think to have a "Remove Component" option would also be nice.

I also was able to install version 2018.1.0b10 and its great you can keep working on Unity while installing a new version, however there are still problems with the install process, it failed to install the "Android build support" but the error message is not very helpful to understand the reason of the failure. In the end I was able to install it with the new "Add Component" option.

Excellent Job guys, keep improving!

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  42. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

I can confirm this is a problem and is not related to changing the path during installation.
    I have even gone as far as to re-install Hub, the latest example I just installed Unity 2018.1.0b13 whic Hub showed as if it was installing it to the correct location however when I checked it only created the modules.json file in the target location (D:\Program FIles\... etc) the editor and the rest was put to (C:\Program Files... etc) seems more like you either have C hard coded somewhere or your not passing the target install directory to the installer correctly. I have thus far not been able to get Hub to install anything anywhere other than the default (C:\... etc.) even though the UI shows the various versions as installed to the directory I configured (D:\Program Files\...etc)

43. georgeq

georgeq

I think a full review of the installation process is required. I've been using the HUB for the last 2 or 3 versions and until today I haven't been able to successfully install any version of unity through the hub, the install process always crashes due to an "unknown" error, and I always end up downloading the installer and doing a manual installation. A more descriptive message will be very helpful, "unknown error" is just to broad.

A reliable method to know which versions are already installed is also necessary, maybe by storing some key on the registry (speaking of windows) or similar method, because if you install a version outside the hub, it is unable to realize you installed the version manually and it allows you to download it and probably install it, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

One thing I expected when I first installed the hub was that it would automatically detect my installed versions but I had to locate the versions manually, this wouldn't be necessary if there was a centralized record of the installed versions, if such record existed you could install versions of Unity all across your hard drives and the HUB could find them quick and easy.

44. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi Georgeq,

Thanks for your feedback regarding auto-detection of 'already installed editors'. It's noted and something we will explore for a future release.

Related to the first issue, as a top priority we want to make sure the integrated download/install experience is smooth as possible. The latest Hub 0.16 release (available as of today) has a new fixe related to install path on Windows which I hope may address this issue you and others have reported. Please let us know.

Thanks
    Daniel

45. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

The issue is that on OS X users expect to be able to press option + tab to cycle through active applications. When you select Unity Hub in this way, the Hub window does not come to the foreground. If you click on the icon in the dock instead, it does come to the foreground as expected.

I suppose the reason it behaves this way is that the window is actually closed, and not just in the background. At that point the Hub application is running with no windows open. Why? As a OS X user, I wouldn't expect the Hub window to close unless I ask it to.

orb likes this.
  46. optimise

optimise

I hope Unity Hub can support Unity version before 2017 natively.

47. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

@DanielTG & @joeksy
    > A link button can be useful to open the project folder.

upload_2018-5-2_13-3-30.png

> We need a solution to this bug.
    I have this project that was 2017.4.1 and was not updating to 2017.4.2
    I uninstall manually 2017.4.1 because there was a problem in the download using the hub so I installed it in the old way.
    I open it using the Hub and preferred new 2017.4.2 using the window "Version not found"
    A new window pops up and I press continue with the conversion.
    All is fine, I close the project.
    I open Hub and the project still needs to convert! and is fixed in version. 2017.4.1
    So I go to the project folder and inside \ProjectSettings I delete "ProjectVersion.txt"
    Now the project is not visible in Hub, Project tab
    I use the Open button to import the project. and open using 2017.4.2
    Next time I run the Hub the project is not on top of the list So:
    Thinking that was not included in the list and I end up in a loop of Opening it using the Open button on top.
    After while I realize was included in the list.

> Resizable hub [down] can be helpful. I´m using 4k and the list of 6 line is short for me and the number of projects

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  48. optimise

optimise

Unity Hub keeps failing to download 2018.1.f2. I wonder whether it's bug or server overload issue?

49. Baste

Baste

I think it's not a bug with the Hub, but a regression in Unity itself. The updater seems to have stopped writing a new ProjectVersion after it has run. It's been pretty consistent the last few versions that I have to manually change ProjectVersion.txt in order to have the editor version stick.

50. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes, next time I will try to manually change ProjectVersion.txt inside \ProjectSettings . Thanks