Search Unity

Unity Hub feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by StudioEvil, Jan 24, 2018.

1. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

Hey, thanks for this long awaited feature!

Some instant feedback:

1) Patch releases are missing from the download

2) The hub didn't recognize any version of unity i have installed, so i tried to add some of them it manually.
    Hub reported some versions as: 2017.2.0.56737, 2017.20.49899 instead of 2017.2.0.p2 etc. I think you are reading the "File version" attribute of "Unity.exe" to get the version.
    Instead, you should check for the "Product name" attribute of "Uninstall.exe", that contains the appropriate "patch release version" (i made a little Unity launcher myself some times ago).

3) Opening a project directly with the proper Unity version is awesome :D

4) Another very useful thing to add could be a notification system for new engine and patch releases

No other comments by now, great work :)

2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

1) To be honest there should be an additional panel just for patch releases so it would be:

On my machine
    Official Releases
    Patch Releases
    Beta Releases

2) Same problem here (Not seeing installed Unity versions)

4) +1

3. antoripa

antoripa

Installed and tested . it works fine ...i think that is fine show the version file (2017.2.0.56737, 2017.20.49899) as now, that is the "stamp" from the compiler, but only ma humble opinion .. it would be nice have patch release as well ...great tool . thanks

4. tatien

tatien

Instant feedback too:

+1

I like :
    • Menu bar to open project
    • Download of Unity version

It would be great to have :
    • A link to the changelog page for each version.
    • An auto scan of Applications folder on mac.
    • Click on the project name on the menu bar bring project on top of other windows if already open.

5. soloneer

soloneer

100% on the patch versions/panel. That would be my biggest priority for the next feature/improvement.

Also some indication of what version the Unity Hub app itself is.

6. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

You can go to the About box to see the current version of the hub.

7. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Thanks for your suggestions on the patch tab. We will see if this could be added.

DanGus207 likes this.
  8. soloneer

soloneer

I couldn't find any About option which is why I assumed there wasn't one. Couldn't see anything in the application and not in the icon tray menu.

9. soloneer

soloneer

Ahh I see option in mac version now I've installed that, but no equivalent menu on Windows version.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @soloneer,

Unfortunately the way to get the version number in Windows isn't as straightforward for now. You can find it in the Properties panel of the Hub executable. So right-clicking on the "Unity Hub.exe" file and selecting "Properties" from the context menu. The version is under the "Details" tab.

Currently we only released version 0.11.0 so chances are this is your version. Hopefully there will be an "About" section on Windows soon.

soloneer likes this.
  11. soloneer

soloneer

Thanks yeah, more a case of thinking ahead if there are going to be frequent updates.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  12. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

Love it!

13. rosco_y

rosco_y

The Unity Hub is great--I run all my unity updates as soon as a I notice they are available, and the Hub makes it very easy to check if updates are needed!

As a new unity programmer, I do a lot of tutorial-type projects, and when I'm done with them, I'd like to be able to remove them from the hub. I see a lot of people mentioning that you use the ellipse on the right of the project-name in the hub to do this, but I don't see any mention of removing projects there.

It also occurs to me that it could be valuable if you displayed the date and time that projects were last accessed in the Hub.

Thank you for making community available for those of us who don't have a lot of money to get started in game development. I look forward to the day that I can look in my wallet and think "It's time to give back to Unity."

I was a Level II Senior Software Developer who had a brain cancer. You've honestly enabled me to believe that I have a chance if just keep plugging away.

Thank you very, very much!

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  14. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@rosco_y Thank you for the praise! We will allow users to remove projects very soon. Stay tuned!

Cheers,