Search Unity

Unity Hub Fails to Install Editor

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by PizzaPie, Jul 25, 2019.

1. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Process: Full unistall every version of Unity and Unity Hub, clean up Appdata folder and regedit.

Turned off antivirus/ firewall, the lack of permision requests seemed fishy on previous tries.

Proceed to Install Unity Hub and Install a Unity editor (2018 LTS).

Download normal.

While installing, I ve kept inspecting the installation folder and the files seemed to be added normally.

Eventually it finishes but Unity Hub displays the message no Unity Editor installation detected.
    I reinspect the installation directory it seems it fell from 900MB or so to 200MB and the files previously present missing.

For the next 10 mins or so, files start to reappear, meanwhile in the Hub there was no indication that something was happening. Is this even normal?

So it reaches again 900MB in size, BUT there is no Unity executable. In the Editor folder present are Data, BugReporter, locales folders and Unistall.exe.

One hour later nothing happens, so I proceed to close the Hub but a warning says that the installation hasn't finished. Closed it anyway...

This happened every single time I've tried to install a new Unity Editor via Unity Hub.
    Windows 7 ultimate, Unity hub versions 1.5 (don't remember exactly) and current version 2.
    Can upload logs upon request from the latest attempt (not publicly though).

(the rest are a bit irrelevant and could be a different thread)
    That's how you lose a day's work and all because a Visual Studio extension (Shader Unity Support) decided it wants to download and install a Unity Editor before installing the extension and upon killing the installation (manually) Visual Studio broke (that makes zero sense as it was installing Unity upon termination).
    Of course previsously installed Unity Editor stopped working too.

The last part is irrelevant from the Hub issue, but why the ... a VS extension would try to install Unity, feels like Unity is a spamware... Also a Unity Editor installation is included by default inside the Unity Support package in Visual Studio Installer regardless if an installation of said editor is present already.

Cheers

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi PizzaPie,

We're very sorry to hear about your bad experience installing Unity through the Hub. This should clearly not happen. Please send me your logs via direct message and we will have a close look at your issue.

In the future, you can also report a bug through the Hub's bug reporter (tray menu) and post the fogbugz link in here so we know where to look (your logs will be automatically uploaded with your bug report).

Thanks for reporting this,

3. ashleysimpson7

ashleysimpson7

Unity Technologies

4. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Hey,

Unfortunately I can't risk breaking the editor at the moment, once I am finished with my current project I ll try it and update you.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  5. RSFiesta

RSFiesta

Second that: Issues with download through Hub. Tried two times, 2019.2.2 and 2019.1.14.
    I also had tried manual install (always uninstalling inbetween, because the Hub won't even let me download the non-working Editor a second time). The manual installed editor was flawed (tutorials not running, or freezing etc.)
    I am on a foreign WIFI this week and need to get on with a very simple Unity environment for an upcoming test...
    Log files are available, there are "ESOCKETTIMEDOUT" that seem to have created the "incomplete or corrupted download files".
    Win 10, Lenovo Thinkpad, Hub 2.1.0
    Thank you for any help!
    EDIT: Didn't want to open a new thread, the Hub install issues seem to not be unusual - forgive me to randomly punch in here...

6. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Tried it and failed again. Download successful.
    The dism error is not present anymore but there is a more cryptic "warning" (at least it is tagged as warn) :
    'error while installing the Editor! Trying to empty the folder! ',\n 'The operation timed out.' .
    In the next line is an EBUSY error (warn) which is more relative to the clean up rather the installation.

I can send the logs through here or the bug reporter if you want, but there is nothing else relative with the installation.

7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@PizzaPie,

Could you try deleting the folder corresponding to the version of Unity you're trying to install? For instance, if your install path is "x/y/z" and you're trying to install 2019.1.1f1 it would be the folder "x/y/z/2019.1.1f1". It might contain unfinished installs that are causing the process to fail. Sorry again for putting you through this. We're going to improve a lot of troubleshooting flows in the future.

8. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

I am afraid I can't go over it again at the moment, did install it with Download Assistant.
    The path was the default one Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/ (didn't change it), at this location was present another installation 2018.4 (installed with Download Assistant and linked in Unity Hub), while on my last attempt I was installing 2018.2 (the folder was created successfully) at the same level as the other version.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  9. StarFluke

StarFluke

For Unity 2019.2.2 and .3:
    • Hub install fails (also fails for .0)
    • Download Assistant fails (also fails for .0)
    • UnitySetup64 fails
    I was able to install 2019.2.0f1 via UnitySetup64. However, .2 and .3 will not install with this method.