Search Unity

Unity Hub Fails to Install Editor

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by PizzaPie, Jul 25, 2019.

1. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Process: Full unistall every version of Unity and Unity Hub, clean up Appdata folder and regedit.

Turned off antivirus/ firewall, the lack of permision requests seemed fishy on previous tries.

Proceed to Install Unity Hub and Install a Unity editor (2018 LTS).

Download normal.

While installing, I ve kept inspecting the installation folder and the files seemed to be added normally.

Eventually it finishes but Unity Hub displays the message no Unity Editor installation detected.
    I reinspect the installation directory it seems it fell from 900MB or so to 200MB and the files previously present missing.

For the next 10 mins or so, files start to reappear, meanwhile in the Hub there was no indication that something was happening. Is this even normal?

So it reaches again 900MB in size, BUT there is no Unity executable. In the Editor folder present are Data, BugReporter, locales folders and Unistall.exe.

One hour later nothing happens, so I proceed to close the Hub but a warning says that the installation hasn't finished. Closed it anyway...

This happened every single time I've tried to install a new Unity Editor via Unity Hub.
    Windows 7 ultimate, Unity hub versions 1.5 (don't remember exactly) and current version 2.
    Can upload logs upon request from the latest attempt (not publicly though).

(the rest are a bit irrelevant and could be a different thread)
    That's how you lose a day's work and all because a Visual Studio extension (Shader Unity Support) decided it wants to download and install a Unity Editor before installing the extension and upon killing the installation (manually) Visual Studio broke (that makes zero sense as it was installing Unity upon termination).
    Of course previsously installed Unity Editor stopped working too.

The last part is irrelevant from the Hub issue, but why the ... a VS extension would try to install Unity, feels like Unity is a spamware... Also a Unity Editor installation is included by default inside the Unity Support package in Visual Studio Installer regardless if an installation of said editor is present already.

Cheers

ryoma1492 and Ab79 like this.
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi PizzaPie,

We're very sorry to hear about your bad experience installing Unity through the Hub. This should clearly not happen. Please send me your logs via direct message and we will have a close look at your issue.

In the future, you can also report a bug through the Hub's bug reporter (tray menu) and post the fogbugz link in here so we know where to look (your logs will be automatically uploaded with your bug report).

Thanks for reporting this,

3. ashleysimpson7

ashleysimpson7

Unity Technologies

4. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Hey,

Unfortunately I can't risk breaking the editor at the moment, once I am finished with my current project I ll try it and update you.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  5. RSFiesta

RSFiesta

Second that: Issues with download through Hub. Tried two times, 2019.2.2 and 2019.1.14.
    I also had tried manual install (always uninstalling inbetween, because the Hub won't even let me download the non-working Editor a second time). The manual installed editor was flawed (tutorials not running, or freezing etc.)
    I am on a foreign WIFI this week and need to get on with a very simple Unity environment for an upcoming test...
    Log files are available, there are "ESOCKETTIMEDOUT" that seem to have created the "incomplete or corrupted download files".
    Win 10, Lenovo Thinkpad, Hub 2.1.0
    Thank you for any help!
    EDIT: Didn't want to open a new thread, the Hub install issues seem to not be unusual - forgive me to randomly punch in here...

6. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Tried it and failed again. Download successful.
    The dism error is not present anymore but there is a more cryptic "warning" (at least it is tagged as warn) :
    'error while installing the Editor! Trying to empty the folder! ',\n 'The operation timed out.' .
    In the next line is an EBUSY error (warn) which is more relative to the clean up rather the installation.

I can send the logs through here or the bug reporter if you want, but there is nothing else relative with the installation.

7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@PizzaPie,

Could you try deleting the folder corresponding to the version of Unity you're trying to install? For instance, if your install path is "x/y/z" and you're trying to install 2019.1.1f1 it would be the folder "x/y/z/2019.1.1f1". It might contain unfinished installs that are causing the process to fail. Sorry again for putting you through this. We're going to improve a lot of troubleshooting flows in the future.

8. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

I am afraid I can't go over it again at the moment, did install it with Download Assistant.
    The path was the default one Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/ (didn't change it), at this location was present another installation 2018.4 (installed with Download Assistant and linked in Unity Hub), while on my last attempt I was installing 2018.2 (the folder was created successfully) at the same level as the other version.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  9. StarFluke

StarFluke

For Unity 2019.2.2 and .3:
    • Hub install fails (also fails for .0)
    • Download Assistant fails (also fails for .0)
    • UnitySetup64 fails
    I was able to install 2019.2.0f1 via UnitySetup64. However, .2 and .3 will not install with this method.

10. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

@PizzaPie @AbrahamDUnity I am having this same issue... I am in the middle of a project, and I can't use 2019.4.4f1 LTS anymore. (unknown reason)

I also can't install 2019.4.5f1 LTS because it says the same type of thing

"failed to delete old unity installation files. Maybe unity or some of its tools are still running"

The task manager confirmed that no unity processes (editor) were running... And I have tried a system restore (in case something went bad)

All of this did not help... I have also attempted a clean uninstall of the Unity Editor, and re-installed

Please Help!

11. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

12. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ryoma1492,

If you can't install the desired version of Unity through the Hub you can always install through the Download Archive. Look for the "Unity Installer" option in your platform's dropdown. Also I couldn't find your support ticket. Are you sure your link was properly copied?

Cheers,

13. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

I just checked ... The link changes for (what I can only assume is formatting considerations) mobile

But the ticket number is the same

Unity
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/854453?_ga=2.20698225.813962667.1595878240-373781768.1595713087&mobile_site=true

14. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

@AbrahamDUnity I managed to get the Unity to install (using the Editor Download you're describing, although by now I have attempted loads of installs to figure out how to get it to work...) I managed to get the Editor.. But I was developing an Android app, and was relying on the Hub (quite successfully) before it broke.....

And after it broke, I can't get any add-ons to be recognized by the Editor (even if they claim to be successfully installed...)

And (the reason I pinged this ticket) when I install the Editor through the hub I frequently get the "failed to uninstall previous installation files"

15. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry but this is still not giving me a valid URL. I'm asking because I want to have a look at your logs. This seems related to your specific environment and I can't troubleshoot this kind of issue without more information. Did you receive a confirmation email with this link?

ryoma1492 likes this.
  16. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

@AbrahamDUnity

-------- Original message --------
    Date: 7/25/20 2:30 PM (GMT-05:00)
    To: Ryan Joseph Harger <matthew28_9teen@yahoo.com>
    Subject: [Request received] Can't Install Unity After Uninstall

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Dear Ryan Joseph Harger,

Thanks for contacting Unity Customer Service!

Your ticket #854453: “Can't Install Unity After Uninstall" has been created. A Customer Service Engineer will review your question and respond within three working days.

Please note that due to current high volumes there may be some delay. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to get to your question soon.

Forgotten to include something in your email? Already resolved the issue? You can either respond to this message or click the link here to let us know:
    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/requests/854453

For technical questions, we recommend using our active Community sites. Here you will find questions answered by Unity engineers and fellow users, as well as having the option to create your own posts:
    http://forum.unity3d.com
    http://answers.unity3d.com

If you would like direct support from Unity Engineers, please have a look at our paid Premium Support services here:
    https://store.unity.com/premium-support

Kind regards,
    Customer Services Team
    Unity Technologies

This email is a service from Unity Technologies.
    [93WOZQ-28RX]

17. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

@AbrahamDUnity if there is a way to securely chat... i can email you the link to the request... if that would help... Sorry about all the confusion...

i am VERY happy to have somebody looking into this as well, i can't even begin to tell you how encouraging that is

18. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

19. ryoma1492

ryoma1492

yep....

for "posterity" .... my personal resolution was to :

1. Uninstall all Modules in the Hub
    2. Uninstall any references i could from Windows Uninstaller
    3. Remove the remaining folders (user settings, mostly)
    4. remove all references to Unity, Unity Hub, and Visual Studio (i installed this through the Hub) from the Registry
    5. restart
    6. take a restore point (because by now it had been 2 hours of work)
    7. Install each piece/module again (i COULD install it all through the Hub as a group, no need for individual modules)

20. alainilunga207

alainilunga207

21. Adri3lly

Adri3lly

Não estou conseguindo baixar nenhum editor, sempre dá erro.

22. YangDev

YangDev

Hey i just downloaded Unity Hub, i'm a new Developer, and everytime i download any editor, it just basically says install queued, does anyone know whats the problem here?