Search Unity

Unity Hub doesn't include Visual Studio component

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I first installed Unity Hub, I decided to install Unity 2018.1 and include Visual Studio with it, since MonoDevelop support ended. I went to bed as it installed and when I checked in the morning, it sailed that Visual Studio, Mac support, and Linux support failed to install. I then installed the supports instead since downloading 1G isn't ideal. The next day, I attempted to install the Visual Studio component, but it never appeared in the list of components to install. I reinstalled Unity 2018.1, but it didn't work.

Any help on this bug? I really need Visual Studio.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh wait, I can simply use the old installers.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Somehow, Unity Hub actually installed Visual Studio Community the first time around, but it thought the installation had failed, when it hadn't. I only learned it after reinstalling Unity the 3rd time. why.png

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you please DM me your log files?
    Logs are here:
    Wjndows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs
    Mac: ~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/logs

Thanks,
    Afshin

5. jameslin101

jameslin101

I have the same problem after an upgrade on VS crashed and I tried to reinstall. I'm on a mac using 2018.2.2f1

6. jameslin101

jameslin101

7. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Normally, the hub is not offering the Visual Studio, if it is already installed.
    Do you have any visualStudio under /Application?

8. jameslin101

jameslin101

it actually offered VS after every new version of Unity even though it was installed.
    I've solved the problem by just reinstalling everything

9. Penny10

Penny10

I just installed Unity 2018.2.3f1 and selected the module for Visual Studio Community 2017 and as it was installing because it was taking awhile, I went to bed and in the morning when I checked, I had an error saying Visual Studio Community 2017 failed installation. I tried to install that component again but I get the same error message. I do already have Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 that I had installed months ago. Could that be causing the problem? Do I need to uninstall it?

10. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello @Penny10,
    Sorry to hear you have problems to install Visual Studio using the Hub.
    You shouldn't need to uninstall Visual Studio 2013, since Visual Studio 2017 is a separate app.
    Could you verify that Visual Studio was really not installed?
    In the current version of the Hub, it sometimes say that it failed while it, in fact, succeeded.

11. arkababbageganguly06

arkababbageganguly06

I accidentally uninstalled Visual studio 2019 and I tried to reinstall it again it did not appear.What can I do for it to work? Help please I need to get working .:confused:

12. Isvaelin

Isvaelin

Hi, I'm unable to install MS Visual Studio Community 2019 now in March 2021, not working at all I've tried like 5 times including fresh install of Unity Hub.

I saw it downloaded it into C drive for some reason, then reported failed installation. All my files are directed to D drive in Unity Hub since C drive is full...

13. Tatsuran

Tatsuran

I had a similar problem with VS 2019 for VRChat. How i solved it:
    1. Go to logs %AppData%Roaming\UnityHub\logs\install-log.json
    2. Search for an error message looking like this: "...Error: Command failed: \"C:\\Users\\Username\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\unityhub-6d37bfe0-dec0-11ec-99fd-69bf6d5e184d\\vs_Community.exe..."
    3. Go to vs_Community.exe location (it will be different from mine), run it, finish installation and reboot.
    4. UnityHub shows VS 2019 as installed in "Add modules" page.