Search Unity

Unity Hub deinstalled itself???

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@DanielTG

So, when I closed my computer yesterday night, I had just shut down Unity Hub, everything was right, I had used it during hours. This morning, I restart my computer and Unity Hub has lost its executables? Like I had deinstalled it myself, except that only the executables are missing.

Any idea what's happened there?

Now I must reinstall it...

reachout likes this.
  2. Nicrom

Nicrom

I think the Unity hub updated to version 2.0.1 and removed the old version. If your on Windows 10, type Unity Hub in the task-bar search box and it should be there.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the tip. :)

I'm on Windows 7. Normally Unity Hub shouldn't install updates without asking you if you agree but it appears that the new version I just installed is 2.0.1.0. and the one where the executables have disappeared was 2.0.0.0.

Apparently, Unity Hub tried deinstalling itself but failed and just removed its executables. I searched my computer and, fortunately, no other version was installed.

@DanielTG This is just unacceptable! Sneaky updates should never happen, whatever the software!!!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Update:

I made an experiment:
    1. I deinstalled the new version I installed this morning,
    2. I put back to back up version that was there yesterday (this one has its executables),
    3. I run that back up version and got the "Hub 2.0.1 is available. To install the update, you must restart the Hub.",
    4. I clicked on "Restart now" and the new version installed itself on "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub" instead of where it should have been installed (on an external drive in replacement of Unity Hub 2.0.0)!!!
    I had this problem once in the past; it had been fixed why is it broken again? Come on!

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt,

This is pretty unusual. We'll look into it. Just to be clear, your reproducible bug is that the Hub doesn't install updates on the previous install path?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @AbrahamDUnity,

That, yes.

And if you manage to track the disappearance of the 2.0.0 executables from the Unity Hub directory when I started my computer this morning... I'd very much like to know why this happened. :)

8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

So for the disappearing executable, was it the one in the external drive? It's hard to investigate because we don't log much information at this stage and failed uninstall aren't trivial to reproduce. Any additional information would be really helpful for us to investigate :)

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, it's the only install of the Hub I had (and have) anyway. :)

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Alright. We'll investigate (probably next week). Thanks again for reporting the issue!

Best,

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks. :)

12. DanielTG

DanielTG

@APSchmidt the Hub automatically updates by either prompting you to restart when the app is running (so we don't interrupt any ongoing/background behaviour or on next launch. This has been consistent behaviour with all releases of the Hub.

What we need to investigate further the upgrade issue with the Hub not respecting your customer installation path on Windows. Apologies for the issue.

Thanks
    Daniel

13. StartStart

StartStart

I found this today too. Unity Hub has uninstall it self.
    I already install Unity Hub again and work fine.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is your Hub installed on a drive that is not the C: drive?

@AbrahamDUnity I think I know why the hub update was installed on the C drive instead of where it was really installed. I think it was my fault; I sometimes use a registry cleaner and it could have just reset that path to default or, more probably, deleted the install location key. I don't see why it would do that though; I'll need to make it so this no longer happens in the future but I'm not sure where to look.

I remember that, before the Hub was created, we had a batch file in the place where we wanted to install the editors; this batch file was used by the installers, this is where they found the path where to install the editors. Do you think the team could make it so that this batch file is created each time we install the Hub?

If I'm right, the only issue you'll have now is finding out why the executables disappeared... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
    AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  15. esmt-dmarshall

esmt-dmarshall

I just had this happen but it did not install Unity Hub somewhere else. Just totally uninstalled it after pressing Restart to updated Hub.

16. radwave1000

radwave1000

This just happened to me as well. My start menu shortcut no longer works and Unity Hub no longer exists anywhere. This is unacceptable. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that Unity Hub had an update it was going to install, but perhaps it shouldn't delete itself?

17. Abnormalia_

Abnormalia_

Same here, It asked for an update and deistalled itself. Have to download it manually and install it again.

18. CeltaGames

CeltaGames

In my case, it never asked for an update, one day was working perfectly fine and on the next, all files related to the Unity Hub where missing.

R0man likes this.
  19. R0man

R0man

Ditto.

20. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

For the 2023 cases.. Mac / windows ?

Where are these files located ? Are the ones inside /appdata/roaming/unityhub gone ? If they are still there can you share your info-log.json ?

21. Serbusz

Serbusz

same here.
    last night pressed restart on the hub to upodate. Continued working and didn't check to see if it restarted.
    Turned on the PC today and the Unity Hub was gone. Only the the empty Folder is where it should be installed.
    I had it installed on D on my main SSD, on C i have Windows 10 installed
    No instalation on C.

FunFreighterGames likes this.