Search Unity

Unity Hub dark mode

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Hawaiianz, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Hawaiianz

Hawaiianz

The hub could sure use a dark mode.

It's like the only application left on anyone's computer with no dark mode. All of the programmers are being blinded by the light.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Avingo255, LooperVFX and FritzsHero like this.
  3. Sailendu

Sailendu

Any update on this? It's been more than a year. As I have no knowledge about it, I want to ask, is it difficult to create a dark mode? So it's taking such long time. Please let me know.

4. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

5. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you everyone for the feedback. The team has shared that a future version will address this.

rmb303, LooperVFX and Mauri like this.
  6. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@AbrahamDUnity @BenjiM_Unity
    Thank you for the replies. We at least know you hear us. Now that it's been 2 years and (almost) 3 months since Unity Hub's baffling white mode only 1.0 release --how about a dark mode release timeframe estimate? It doesn't need to be too soon, and you don't have to be specific. It seems very reasonable to ask the Unity Hub team to pick a year for the dark mode feature to land. Say 2021, 2022? We know things take time, it's okay. More than anything people just want a rough, realistic estimate on the roadmap. Not "Yes we know", "a future version", or "it's done when it's done" in any other phrasing. Yes we know you're sick of hearing about it. Like the Unity Editor Dark Theme for all requests and feedback before it you will continue to be sick of hearing about this issue over and over and over again from the community until the day it is resolved. --which should come as absolutely no surprise. It's widely known that the majority of Unity users (and the majority of developers, designers, artists, etc in general) use and prefer dark mode user interfaces. Take a look at any polls or statistics from the last decade on this. There is no debate about the popular demand. While hindsight is always 2020, this in particular was also extremely predictable and 100% avoidable. No wonder the majority of Unity's new UI/UX projects / initiatives in the past 3+ years were and are designed with dark mode first in mind for these very reasons. The priority for user interface design & development was democratized. Not Unity Hub in this case, but hey --we'll get there. Just say when.

And while we can all understand some things may take longer at larger organizations due to policies and processes --let's also remember this isn't some ambitious project from an underfunded developer, either. This isn't Duke Nukem Forever. Nor is it a feature that requires code modifications that could cause breaking changes or bugs in core functionality that mandates exhaustive testing. We're talking about a CSS or JSS style of some sort and a handful of image assets for a relatively small Electron framework app here, are we not? The effort estimation is quite modest for this simple, but widely requested usability and design language coherence feature. Anyone with web app design & dev experience can estimate that even an intern could have this ready for beta testing in a week or two at most. Despite the popular demand, the effort estimation is notably less than many of the advanced under the hood nice-to-have features that been landing in Unity Hub releases for the past few years.

Thanks for hearing me out and for all your work thus far on Unity Hub. It is a much improved experience using Unity with the Hub than without it.

- Landon

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hey @landonth,

Thanks for your very detailed, polite (and quite entertaining) message. I would like to apologize on behalf of the Hub team for the lack of transparency on our progress towards a dark mode Hub. The problem was not the complexity of the task as you pointed it out but rather the prioritization. Since it wasn't a blocking feature it became perpetually postponed.

As much as I would like to reveal what we are currently working on I can only say that 2020 was a very productive year as far as dark mode is concerned. I think it is safe to say that this year will bring to light the fruit of our labor.

Thanks again for your support, appreciation and patience,

8. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@AbrahamDUnity That makes sense. Thanks for hearing us (yet again) and thank you for the update!

9. MostHated

MostHated

While, not quite the same as an official update, there have been posts on here to someones github who made some edits that gave dark mode for the hub. Looks pretty good, too.

MahdiHosseini likes this.
  10. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

That would be me. ;)

I give the Unity Hub team my full permission to copy/paste my css if they want. :p

jamwitk likes this.
  11. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

12. Sailendu

Sailendu

Is there any update on this?

MahdiHosseini and MostHated like this.
  13. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

@Sailendu Looks like your best bet is to use my Hub Patcher repo, at least for the time being.

14. altepTest

altepTest

kind of counter intuitive from me but instead of a dark mode for unity hub what about scrapping this app altogether? It doesn't do much for me except opening recent projects and the other purpose of downloading unity is broken and frustrating if you don't have a stable landline connection.

It was a good experiment while it lasted but should be deprecated and moved on to something that works

It also sits in memory doing nothing waisting 160Mb or RAM after you have opened the project

15. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

To be fair, I find it very handy. Not saying your issues aren't valid, but I've had no problems here and having an interface to see your recent projects and what versions you need for them (and what versions you have installed) is quite nice.

LooperVFX likes this.
  16. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

fair enough to make criticisms but this is off topic. please feel free to make a new thread about this.

GuitarBro likes this.
  17. VeryBadPenny

VeryBadPenny

I'm looking at Unity Hub 3.0.0-beta.1 and can't see where to switch off dark mode. I prefer light mode, and I find it easier to read. Is there an option to switch? Of course the options are hard to read in dark mode so I may be missing something obvious.

18. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Check out the official beta feedback thread. Light mode will return to Unity Hub, I'm guessing by the time the 3.x redesign is out of beta: https://forum.unity.com/threads/share-your-unity-hub-3-0-beta-1-feedback-here.1130638/#post-7310161

19. mrwzrd

mrwzrd

I have Unity Hub 3.0 and it seems like this issue has been overcorrected in the opposite direction. I much prefer light mode as reading text in dark mode hurts my eyes. From what I can tell, Hub 3.0 is now dark mode only with no option to swap back to light mode. Can we please get an option to swap between the two themes? Pretty please? I now dread using the hub app but its old design was perfect.

20. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

And I'm satisfied with the new mode lol.

Maybe I'll update hub patcher to support a light theme now. :p

Aka_ToolBuddy likes this.
  21. Tortuap

Tortuap

But where is the light mode ?

22. cdr9042

cdr9042

this, I can hardly read text in Dark Mode. I want Light mode

23. niyis

niyis

Same! I'm super dyslexic, dark mode is soooo hard on my brain. I know I'm in the minority, all my friends absolutely abhor light mode, but I dark mode makes my eyes cross and gives me awful headaches and I can see the text burned into my vision for long periods of time afterward. Can I have light mode back please????

FortisVenaliter, RichardPF and Maxim like this.
  24. Letters99

Letters99

I made the mistake of updating the hub and found that it has a "new" dark mode. I suffer from astigmatism and find the dark modes tiring, literally makes my eyes cry.

Is there any way to revert to the old mode?

25. BorisUA

BorisUA

Lets add light mode

RichardPF likes this.
  26. nyonge

nyonge

^Agreed re: light mode. I'm glad to see it'll be reintroduced soon, so just adding my voice.

Having dark mode is great, but having dark mode WITHOUT a light mode option is a huge accessibility flaw. I also use visuals to help me parse information, and it's important to be able to choose what's dark and what's light.

Extremely looking forward to light mode's return, please please don't let it fall through the cracks until like 2024 ;)

FortisVenaliter and Maxim like this.
  27. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

timrobin, cdr9042 and Aka_ToolBuddy like this.
  28. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

W
    Thanks, worked for me. For future users: don't forget to run it in admin mode if you have any issue.

GuitarBro likes this.
  29. jesta

jesta

Bumping this to have a Light/Dark/System mode switch. This is a pretty important feature for readability and eye health.

FortisVenaliter and airevgeny like this.
  30. ysalpha

ysalpha

Many people are looking for light mode.
    We want the ability to switch between the two. Earnest.

FortisVenaliter likes this.
  31. altepTest

altepTest

why not just use the windows automatic color system depending of the desktop background? then you can have it red green whatever color one wants

FortisVenaliter likes this.
  32. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

It's not as simple as that, unfortunately. You have to make sure all the text, buttons, images, etc. all have appropriate contrast with whatever is behind it and ideally make it not look horrible as well.

33. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Non-committal users rejoice!

I have updated https://gitlab.com/GuitarBro/hub-patcher so that it now adds a theme selection dropdown to the Preferences > Appearance menu so you can switch between the default dark theme and the custom light theme at will. No need to reinstall to get the dark theme back. It even remembers the option you last selected so you can just set it and forget it.

Also verified it works on 3.1.2 now (no significant issues that I saw) so it should be a safe upgrade.

34. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Screenshot in case it's not obvious:

upload_2022-5-30_21-6-29.png

35. anadin

anadin

The patcher is great, just letting you know it does work in macOS

python3 ./hub_patcher.py /Applications/Unity\ Hub.app/Contents

(just needed the path to Contents folder)

upload_2022-6-1_11-15-49.png

It does appear to be missing some row delineation though (Name/Modified etc.)

GuitarBro likes this.
  36. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

The missing lines were an intentional omission on my part as I felt they looked ugly with a light theme, but now that I have a way to select a theme at runtime, I could perhaps make a variant with them back if you wish.

37. ysalpha

ysalpha

Excellent! I wish they would apply it official release.

GuitarBro likes this.
  38. timrobin

timrobin

Omg, thank you so so much

GuitarBro likes this.
  39. SireCoffee

SireCoffee

Hey it's great dark mode users get a dark mode in their hub now but... How do I change it back to light mode? It's dark by default and it's really depressing.

40. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Try https://gitlab.com/GuitarBro/hub-patcher?

41. Potter76

Potter76

There is no menu tree that goes Settings > General > Dark Theme in the official version of the Unity Hub program. Maybe you mean the Unity IDE itself? And by the way I am using Unity Hub version 3.2.0 which as of this writing is the latest version. Here I have attached a screenshot of the current official Unity Hub Preferences window. So that everyone is on the same page.

Attached Files:

42. jRocket

jRocket

Unity is absolutely infuriating. Dark mode in Hub is great, but dark mode of the Editor is broken in Windows(title and menubar), which triggers my OCD. So, I switch to light mode. But now Hub doesn't have a light mode. Whyyyy?

43. altepTest

altepTest

while I'm the first one with the pitchfork against unity, I don't get this hub issue, I was using this annoying launcher for updates and create/open a project, then it just sit minimized inside the program bar.

Did I've missed some amazing features that requires constant use of this hub?

( I also still have the unity 2 launcher, which is white) still works fine last time I've checked (a few weeks ago)