Search Unity

Unity Hub can't remove old reference to removed preferred editor

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by v-ercart, Mar 5, 2019.

1. v-ercart

v-ercart

I deleted my UnityHub folder where I had all my editors installed (icky, gross, old versions full of remote code execution vulnerabilities). When I reopened Unity Hub I could remove all the references to those versions of Unity in the Installs tab except for my "preferred" engine version (2018.3.5f1). Even though that folder is long deleted, I can't remove it. I even installed a new version (2018.3.7), and set that to my preferred version, and I still can't remove the reference to 2018.3.5f1.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    We are removing the concept of "preferred" version from the hub in v2, and it probably fixes the issue.
    Meanwhile, I am wondering if that 2018.3.5f1 was installed with the hub, or it was installed and then located in the hub.

3. mikeburns

mikeburns

Up to now I've just been downloading the windows installer for each new version and installing in the same folder (C:\Program Files\Unity) as I don't really need multiple versions. I just now started using Unity Hub 1.6.1, and grabbed the latest 2018 version and it installed to C:\Program Files\Unity Hub\Editor\2018.3.13f. To manually uninstall the previous version (which I located within Unity Hub), can I just delete the folder C:\Program Files\Unity, or should I use the Windows Add/Remove Programs? Or if I don't care about having multiple versions running side by side, should I just continue overwriting the current install path? Or should I wait for Unity Hub v2 to uninstall previously manually installed versions?

I also have another question: whenever installing a new version, I am prompted to install VisualStudio Code as well as Android SDK. I have installed and manage those versions manually (via VS Code and Android SDK Manager, respectively) so I just uncheck those boxes. Is there any potential for error here by installing/updating (or not) via the installer/Unity Hub?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. harrisrg

harrisrg

If someone on Mac Is here:

Edit
    ~/Library/Application Support/Unity Hub/editors.json
    and remove the entry.

Wish I could thing about this before deleting everything else... There's no help available anywhere else.

josegarciaJC likes this.