Search Unity

Unity Hub can't find my Unity instalation on my machine

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Darkness-Seeker, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Darkness-Seeker

Darkness-Seeker

Hello there:

I just downloaded and installed the Unity Hub beta, and it seems that the program has a problem to find (or to link) Unity versions that were already installed on my machine.

I have Unity 2017.1.0f3 and 2018.1.0b3 versions installed on a secondary hard disk, in my computer with Windows10 as it's OS. Inside Unity Hub I click on "Locate a Version", go though the folders to find the Unity.exe of the version i want to add, I select it and click and on "Select Editor", but the Unity Hub still shows the list completely clear and asking for me to either install, or locate my Unity versions.

Am I doing something wrong or it's a flaw from the beta?

Havishfundev and TimothyGrant like this.
  2. chasepettit

chasepettit

Sounds like a bug. That's how I went about adding installed versions of Unity and they're all appearing in the list.

3. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Same problem here.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same on my side.

5. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Looks like a bug. The team will try to reproduce the issue.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

problem here too

7. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

8. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

2018.1.0b4, Already fixed it by reinstalling it from the Hub.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@mathieub 2017.3.0f3. Looks like it works with installed versions through the Hub but not preinstalled version before I installed the hub.

10. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    After you attempt to locate your locate Unity.exe, Does Unity Hub return an error message such as access denied or cannot locate file?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

@joeksy nothing happens. the open window closes and you're left back at the Installs section. I even tried running as administrator but no luck there.

12. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

We will try to reproduce your case. We will also look into ways to better diagnose these issues.

13. Sabre-Runner

Sabre-Runner

I am also experiencing the same problem. But I'm trying to find the 2017.2.0f3 version.

14. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

I have the same problem with version 5.6.1p1 which is listed as 5.6.1.49652 in the "On my machine" list. It Hub does list projects as last having been opened with 5.6.1p1, but fails to recognise that I have this version installed when I try to open them.

15. joaoborks

joaoborks

I had the same thing with both 2017.1.1f1 and 2017.2.0f3, but they were installed on my D: drive while the Hub installed itself on the C: drive (not sure if that means anything). Anyways, when I tried to locate these installations nothing would happen after selecting the Unity.exe. When I moved the installations from the D: drive to the Hub folder, it auto-located them on startup.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah. It could be an issue where it won't detect installations on a different drive / partition.

17. vdwtanner

vdwtanner

I second the issue being that it is on a separate drive / partition. My C drive is for OS only, and I noticed that the hub will only install engines to the C drive and will not notice them if they are on a separate drive.

18. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

Just want to add that for me everything is installed on my C drive. I do have my projects on my D drive though, so maybe there's still a disconnect there?

19. tgr_pointvoucher

tgr_pointvoucher

I have the same issue here. Unity on C: projects on D: and the hub can't find Unity installations when I select the exe file.

20. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @LeonLaci,
    With the Unity Hub v0.12.0, it is now possible to better track the issue.
    Assuming you have updated your Unity Hub to the latest, I would like to kindly ask the following:
    - Reproduce the issue
    - Opens a bug report using unity.bugreporter.exe under any of your Editor folder, /BugReporter (or open from the Editor using Help - Report a Bug...)
    - Attach the info-log.json under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs in the Report
    - Post the bug number here

Thanks for your help and patience

Deleted User likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

The case number is: 999871

joeksy likes this.
  22. TashaSkyUpchurch

TashaSkyUpchurch

having this problem as well. tying to tell unity hub where any of a variety of my previous installs are. In the interm, can someone please tell me where unity hub stores projects/assets it downloads?

23. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Unity hub does not store the projects and assets in a certain place. When you create a new project or open a project, you will provide the path to the projects.
    Unity Hub is only downloading the (1) editors, and (2) tutorials (learn tab contents)
    The editors, for now, are stored in the Program File.
    The tutorials are in the AppData.

24. SamSpain

SamSpain

I haven't been able to add any existing version to Unity Hub either. When I click on any Unity.exe with the "Select a editor you wish to add" it does nothing. I have even tried installing the version of Unity into exactly where it would be if I were to install through Unity Hub.

Has this not been able to be reproduced at all by the Unity Hub team?

25. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @SamSpain ,
    We believe we found the problem, we are currently working on the fix.
    Thanks

GarthSmith and SamSpain like this.
  26. junctionboss

junctionboss

What's the status given no post over a yr ago ?

I'm still having trouble as HUB seems to have moved my e: unity install to drive C, can it do that ?
    Just wondering if the HUB hasn't been fixed which means its still not working as intended (?), then I'm not going to use it.

27. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,

The initial issue has been fixed, sorry for the silent on the forum post.
    To my knowledge, the Hub does not move Unity installs once installed to destination. Although, if download and installed using Hub, we do download in temp before moving to the set folder.
    Locating already installed Editor should work as intended. Please report a bug if it is not working, the log would be automatically attached and would help us diagnose the issue.
    Thanks

28. junctionboss

junctionboss

TY very much for info, I"m going to assume nothing wrong in that regard, may have been a bad day here ;0-0

cheers

joeksy likes this.
  29. cornucanis

cornucanis

I'm now experiencing this bug for the second time. I have multiple versions of Unity on my machine, most of which were directly installed through Unity Hub. But for some reason when I booted up Unity Hub today it tells me there are no editors available. So I tried to click the "locate" button and select an existing install, but absolutely nothing happens when I do. No error message, no install added to the list, nothing whatsoever. I also can't launch the editor directly, it brings up Unity Hub instead when I try to run the executable for the editor. And Hub then proceeds to tell me there are no editors available despite the fact that it was launched by me clicking the exe for an editor..

Update: It's now giving me a notification saying the selected version is already on the list when I try to locate an existing install, but the list is still very clearly empty and it still tells me there are no editors available on the projects tab.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  30. Baste

Baste

I had that screen bug out for me as well, that was when running several installs in parallel. Restarting the hub properly (by closing it from the tray) refreshed it.

GabrielleTranchet likes this.
  31. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

We could reproduce the issue of empty install page, and we will ship the fix in the next release.

joaoborks and cornucanis like this.
  32. starfoxy

starfoxy

Unity Hub just asked me to update so I did. Unity Hub now refuses to restart or start.

Threw this error when trying to restart itself:
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.

.exe ended up missing.

I reinstalled the hub manually overwriting the same folder as it was installed previously and everything appears to work.

33. DrunkenMastah

DrunkenMastah

Unity Hub 2.2.1 is broken too.. Now i just cannot open any open any project.
    I delete everything from c:/programdata/ folder and now License page is stuck in endless loop.

34. gc3

gc3

I had this problem too, but only after these conditions:
    1) I had Unity 2019.2.2 installed. I was working on a project.
    2) I decided to download 2019.3 in the background
    3) But because my computer was one of those with the Intel cache bug, my disk IO is very slow. My system became unresponsive, so I closed the Unity HUB to prevent it from downloading.
    4) I relaunched the hub, but downloading assets does not work after that, and unity thought .3 was installed even though it hadn't completed.
    So I uninstalled all versions of unity, running the uninstaller manually from the explorer as unity hub could not locate the uninstallers. I also uninstalled the unity Hub.
    5) Reran the hub. Installed .3 from there. Seemed to take forever. Hit the locate tab and found the editor while it was still installing.
    6) Relaunched my project. Converted it to .3.
    7) Now I could download assets to my project! The original bug was gone.

35. lzbake66

lzbake66

On windows you need to kill any Unity Hub processes. Backup any existing projects and delete the Unity folders under AppData/Roaming and then reinstall. I ran across this during the install process by closing out the First Game video which killed the installer. The installer will think the editor is already installed if you try to run it again without removing the folders under Roaming.

36. ggfighter

ggfighter

same here

37. ggfighter

ggfighter

but you can download older version and it would work fine

38. UMT_Cats_Eye

UMT_Cats_Eye

I cant find my Versions of the unity editor i downloaded. once it finished it disappeared from my computer. i am currently getting 2019.4.12f1
    Is there a thing i could do to fix this problem

39. starfoxy

starfoxy

I don't know if this helps but I found that the Unity installs can sometimes be on a totally different drive than expected or where hub is installed.

40. soorejp

soorejp

"or select from the list" is the solution. you can select the installed version from the drop down under "Unity Version" column

41. Havishfundev

Havishfundev

My problem is same

42. jm1993

jm1993

Installation failed: Unity LTS 2018.4.31f1

Attached Files:

43. RSH1

RSH1

This just randomly started happening today. Redownloading & installing Unity Hub didn't help, either. Can't log in as I just get a black popup window, clicking 'add unity version' comes up with nothing. Clicking Unity.exe from one of the install directories just launches back into Hub with the same errors. I can't get into my projects or do any work.

What's going on?

44. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Checking in to see if you access your Unity account from your browser?

If you haven't already done so, could you kindly submit a bug report for us? https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting. The team would have to take a look at your log file in order to pinpoint the issue.

45. starfoxy

starfoxy

This just happened to me with the newest hub version. Any updates?

46. Alakelele

Alakelele

Same here, I am extremely disapointed with Unity, this bug has been reported many many times and they still can't get their installer to do a good installation. The more I think about it the more I think that Unity doesn't care about making their product better. The simple fact that you need to go on github and manually copy paste packages now is just ridiculous. I am done for now until they can get their S*** together.

47. clamum

clamum

I just had no idea what it was looking for. Usually it's just a folder but that didn't work after a couple different tries. Then I saw the OP mentioned "Unity.exe" so I tried that and sure enough it imported the editor version. Would be nice if you just put a note on that dialog saying it's expecting "Unity.exe."

BitRanger likes this.
  48. Asrinyilmazok

Asrinyilmazok

it says in mine to :[ can you help me to?

49. BitRanger

BitRanger

Yes, worked for me too

50. BitRanger

BitRanger

hello, please try selecting the Unity.exe file in the Editor folder.