Search Unity

Unity Hub - can't download tutorial projects

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by gdewaele, Oct 13, 2019.

1. gdewaele

gdewaele

I just installed unity and have been trying to do the Ruby's Adventure 2D tutorial. But step one tells me to find the project in Unity hub (which I did), but then there is no button there to "Download project" like the tutorial says. When I hoover over the white space next to "View tutorials", there is an interactive element there, but with white text (I assume), and clicking there doesn't do anything.

Can anyone help me? Reinstalling Unity didn't work.

Thanks!

Knipsel.PNG

HermitIsland and adnanzmn97 like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just went there, the download button is available now, at least it is for me and there is no reason for it not to be for you. :)

AFellowPlayer likes this.
  3. Valjuin

Valjuin

Unity Hub -> Projects tab -> Down arrow next to the “New” button -> Select Unity Version (any version between 2018.3 - 2019.2)

Select 2D Template -> Name your project and enter location to save to -> Click on Create

Click on following link, then click on Setting Up the Unity Editor and continue from Step 3. Importing the Assets

Ruby's Adventure: 2D Beginner - Unity Learn - Unity Tutorials

4. gdewaele

gdewaele

Thanks APSchmidt and Valjuin, I can progress now. Much appreciated

5. unity_953

unity_953

I have a similar problem with an asset in the shop, I cant to download the asset it's a base game but in the webpage only shows the option to open in Unity but that i'ts not working.

cccolon, Seerum and derrickmateja like this.
  6. jeff_unity973

jeff_unity973

I had the same issue, but with the 2D Game Kit. Fixed after I "purchased" the free content in the Asset Store, then manually quit and restarted Unity Hub.

7. astasnow8

astasnow8

Literally none of these options are working, I've tried them all; "purchasing" the free asset doesn't let me download it, I cant even find the files to import into a blank project. No matter what version of unity i have downloaded, the hub wont let me download any of the projects at all. The only project it's allowed me to install is the Tower Defense Template, in which it told me which version i needed to download, but even then it doesn't load anything in Unity when i open it up. I used Unity a couple years ago and didn't have any of these problems, what have they done in the last two years?

8. nobledivinity

nobledivinity

i closed unity hub in task manager then opened it back up and it worked hope that helps.

pmbarron2, RyanHK, ithis and 17 others like this.
  9. astasnow8

astasnow8

That worked, thank you, I' baffled how restarting my computer didn't also fix this, technology gets weird for me sometimes

codexgemini likes this.
  10. astasnow8

astasnow8

Do want to point out, when I did this, all the projects became available, but the Tower Defense Template however became unable to download. I downloaded it the first time around so I already have it, just interesting that everything got flipped

11. callumnoble100

callumnoble100

BRUUHHH

12. satanolgy

satanolgy

that was the most useless comment I've seen in my life

13. SgKun

SgKun

First of all you need the 2019.3 for the tutorials and not the latest ones,
    And the solution like mentioned before is close the hub completely and run it again.

14. bravesirsausage

bravesirsausage

yeah i just had this ... you have to kill the process/s in task manager and restart, then the UI is displayed download button appears. Nice bug :D

15. supertin

supertin

+1 on having this. Quitting and re-opening made the download link appear. Pretty bad start for tutorials for absolute beginners :eek:

Edit: The "open project" button simply being greyed out once downloaded is about as helpful. I assume this is because I'm still downloading 2019.3... But there's nothing to say why. The tutorial text also is for the web page version and refers to things that aren't there. I don't think they tested this stuff.

jerrymahler, yingyingbluo and Gresakm like this.
  16. Gresakm

Gresakm

Ive tried reinstall twice, download version 2019.4 2019.3 2018, nothing worked. Restarted pc/closed hub many times, nothing worked. Closing through task manager finaly worked after 6hours of pain. Dont see reason why it works, but it does..Realy nice challange to beginners :/

17. unity_bQrlecjBIfhX8w

unity_bQrlecjBIfhX8w

Thank you for saving me the hours! Shutting down through task manager really worked! Reboot and proper shutdown didn't.

pleymor_unity likes this.
  18. Assax91

Assax91

Can confirm, shutting the process down in the task manager fixed the issue.
    At first I thought that can't be it, closing the hub and restarting it did nothing so why should killing the process help.
    For some reason it did though... So for everyone who is missing the download project button: Kill the process in your task manager!

Big_Funny_ likes this.
  19. DarkJanissary

DarkJanissary

I had the same problem. To solve it, just right click unity hub icon on taskbar and select "Quit Unity Hub". Run the hub again. The missing download project button will appear. Why doesn't Unity fix such common problem?

xeldaris, HermitIsland and Big_Funny_ like this.
  20. unity_vKb3a2sRQqkDPg

unity_vKb3a2sRQqkDPg

Just showin' up to say that killing the Hub in Task Manager then restarting got the Download option to appear.

DennisT1 likes this.
  21. axlan

axlan

I had the same issue, though I just had to shutdown the Unity Hub in the notification area and restart it to get the button to show up.

22. daniellaskarin

daniellaskarin

For an operation geared to interactive media, this is less than confidence-inspiring. Thanks to all the people who offered the task-manager advice, though. I've have many problems with Unity Hub; I think it does not work well.

23. kamaboko_oni

kamaboko_oni

Had the same problem and quitting Unity Hub fixed it! Thank you all so much!!:)

24. Lasortasor

Lasortasor

Same issue still persists, but killing the hub with taskmanager fixed it, thanks a lot.

25. Londsyd

Londsyd

same problem for me, i've tried everything said here nothin works, then i launch unity hub as admin and the dowload button appear.

now cliking the open project they ask me to download 2020.1 ...

esselasy and ArthurKhan1997 like this.
  26. KIINGEORGE

KIINGEORGE

Does anybody know why i might be running into this issue?

Attached Files:

27. unity_6WWOAQB8w6rd5Q

unity_6WWOAQB8w6rd5Q

I used Ubuntu
    Quit unity Hub and restart the Unity Hub program is the solution.
    Check the unity icon that appears on the top.
    Thanks.

28. levanhuong221

levanhuong221

None of the solutions above helped me. there was a popup telling me to install something but quickly disapeared. Then I go to install -> select the my only version installed(2019.4.9f1) then select Add modules -> select Visual studio community. somehow it also installed version 2020.1.3f1 and that let me open the project

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    ArthurKhan1997 likes this.
  29. codexgemini

codexgemini

I looked all over different forums for this information and I cannot believe this worked for me. I am currently using Kali Linux 2020.3, and was able to install Unity for Linux (once I enabled the application to be executable, it worked). I am impressed that this was able to work since I was unable to use the Web to open unity due to an error code " com.unity3d.Kharma " causing a buffer overflow. I'm glad I came across this forum!!

mari-sakamoto likes this.
  30. SkorjO

SkorjO

I had to use the Processes tab in Windows task manager to find and kill quite a few processes named "Unity Hub.exe". Once all were gone re-launching Unity Hub made the Download button appear. I'd guess that simply rebooting would work just as well.

31. CrazyTeg

CrazyTeg

Thanks for helping

32. mari-sakamoto

mari-sakamoto

worked for me too thanks

33. ckenn31

ckenn31

I did not use Task Manager, but I did quit the application from the systray (right click the Unity icon and click "Quit Unity"). This worked for me. I can't imagine why a reboot wouldn't have resolved this, but it must be a caching issue. You have to have certain versions of Unity to download projects. Very bizarre issue.

34. ithis

ithis

Same here, Unity Hub 2.4.2, Windows 10.0.18363, Unity 2019.4.16f1. Killing Unity Hub process(es) from Task Manager fixed the issue.

35. feelie75

feelie75

Yep, the missing Download bug is still an issue. Killing the task in task manager and restarting fixed it, as stated by others! Nutty... not a big confidence builder in their tutorials heh.

unity_km2eHOkxMa5xuw likes this.
  36. unity_km2eHOkxMa5xuw

unity_km2eHOkxMa5xuw

+1

37. EvanKnowles

EvanKnowles

20 days later, killing it in Task Manager sorted it for me too.

38. Dakayl

Dakayl

Did work for me too.. Weird bug

39. ksommers

ksommers

Task manager trick isn't working for me. Any advice?

Running Windows 10. Have 2019.4 as well as the latest unity versions installed. Running as administrator doesn't work.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    C0descr1pt and wingsfreedom914 like this.
  40. sfncook

sfncook

None of this helps on Mac. Obviously Unity has as much concern for UX as Amazon does... Unity UX designers are trash-peddling idiots.

41. Rodrigossal

Rodrigossal

Didn't work for me... Quite weird how only some of the tutorials doesn't work, I tried closing and ending the application in every way, download every build available, nothing worked

vaffer94 and ksommers like this.
  42. unity_F1EA7316CDBDB6B24B94

unity_F1EA7316CDBDB6B24B94

Running as Admin helped me.

43. MagicGirl898844

MagicGirl898844

I created a new project in 2020.3, waited for the templates to load and all the microgames were there to install. Maybe that works for you?

44. Crazy_Cre8or

Crazy_Cre8or

i've been trying to download the creator kit: beginner code multiple times now, but the same bug of taking 20 minutes to download, just to have a blank unity project, even though all the script, textures etc. are there, but the display is empty. id really appreciate if somebody helps me on this cuz i suck with code. ;(

45. Utesfan100

Utesfan100

How do I get the 2019.3 versions?

The oldest available in the Install Unity Editor is 2020.3