Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub cannot install Unity when it needs to elevate privileges on Mac

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by pbhogan, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BenjaminWalbrook

BenjaminWalbrook

If it helps anyone with this in the future, I did the following to resolve the same problem:

System: Installing 2019.3 via hub 2.2.2 on MacOS Sierra (on a mac mini late 2014).

Renamed the install folder to "Unity", located outside my Applications folder (Documents).
    I ensured Documents folder was read & write for admin and everyone as per usual.

Thanks for earlier suggestions.

2. Fantastic_Balage

Fantastic_Balage

Guys, this is seriously starts to become a joke.
    • Unity Hub does not ask for any permission (Unity Hub fault)
    • nor can I explicitly set any permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy (OSX fault, lol)
    • If I move Unity Hub to the Bin, and launch Unity and play a projectt in editor which uses camera, it asks for permission (great hack...)
    • I have to move Unity Hub from Bin each time I want to test the camera in editor mode,
    • I have to restore Unity Hub each time I want to use collab...
    This is not the best user experience so far.

I however congratulate to Unity to develop and maintain such a great platform since such a long time, but these small things just makes developers scream.

3. pbhogan

pbhogan

Yeah, it's a pain when apps do this. JetBrains Toolbox suffers from the same issue.

My workaround for Unity Hub is to set the Unity Editors Folder in the preferences to /Users/USERNAME/Applications/Unity

Any user writeable folder would work, of course.

4. Fantastic_Balage

Fantastic_Balage

@pbhogan thanks for your reply. I tried to install Unity editor via Hub to:
    • /Applications
    • /Users/USERNAME/Applications
    • /Users/USERNAME/Documents
    • /Users/USERNAME/Downloads
    The load bar goes to approx 1/3rd, then it vanishes completely. For me this indicates permission problems. So in System Settings > Security & Privacy I have added Unity and Unity Hub to:
    • Full disk access
    • Files & folders
    • Developer Tools
    No success. OSX Catalina.

5. Fantastic_Balage

Fantastic_Balage

Continuing this thread in here.

6. leeprobert

leeprobert

Same issue today installing latest version of hub 2.3.1 and trying to install latest Unity. 2019.3.13 - install downloads but doesn't complete.

7. balcides1

balcides1

This worked for me but will add that you can also choose your user account from the dropdown list of permissions and then add read/write permissions. Thank you!

8. PuzzleEmptyM

PuzzleEmptyM

Still a problem. I tried installing Unity through Unity Hub and it failed at 100%. No explanation. I am doing this through a non administrator account, so that may be the problem. I will try again on an administrator account. Still a very annoying inconvenience to those who don't have the ability to download on an administrator account.

9. VirginiaMSimpson

VirginiaMSimpson

Hello, I'm having a similar problem with Unity and installing it. It will download about 70%-80% and then it will say it failed to install. It does not give an error code or anything that would give me a clue as to why it won't install all of the way. What do I do?

10. firstuser

firstuser

unityunity