Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub and Editor Updates

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Derekloffin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Derekloffin

Derekloffin

This is just a strong suggestion, Unity Hub should be doing the check for the Editor updates itself. It is very annoying to run up unity hub, start my project (which closes the hub), just to find about that the editor needs an update, to then go to a webpage that just runs up unity hub again. This is a completely silly flow. Hub should have notified me an update was available itself and allowed me to download it immediately with none of the rest of these steps. And if by chance this flow is already available, it should be the default. I shouldn't have to hunt it down.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Weird, I don't see that workflow. Hub handles all updates.

3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

I'll move this over to the Hub forum as they appreciate all the feedback they get on all things Hub :)

4. Derekloffin

Derekloffin

It handles the actual update for me, but not the notification of such being available/needed.

My flow is always this:
    Run Unity hub
    Select my project > Runs the editor (which closes the hub)
    Editor notifies me of the update and gives me 2 options, skip or update.
    I choose update > Runs browser (and I have to manually close the editor)
    Browser gives me two options, install unity hub or install update from unity hub
    Choose the latter as obviously I already have hub installed.
    Hub restarts and finally hub starts the update.

This is a silly flow. Hub should have immediately told me an update was available.
    Even if it couldn't, editor when I chose to update should have run up hub immediately and skipped the browser entirely.

It is possible this is an oddity, certainly feels like something isn't hooked up right, but I have no clue as to what that would be, and I haven't fiddled with any hub settings. Plus, despite numerous updates on editor and hub it remains functioning like this and has been since I first installed Unity.