Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Hub 3.1 Release Overview

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Hasan-Hisam

Hasan-Hisam

The licensing bug still exists and is a big issue???

2. juaa

juaa

Yes, the license bug is stronger than ever, I haven't been able to open my projects for a week and support still hasn't found a solution to help me

EvOne likes this.
  3. ahmadmiftahulzaki

ahmadmiftahulzaki

Yes, it happen to me also. I can't activate my license on my iMac M1, but it works on my windows laptop

MrJBRPG likes this.
  4. bernardinus

bernardinus

Okay, I have waited for about 10 days, since 25 March 2022 but no response from Unity Support Emails.

Spec :
    MacBookPro 15 Inch Early 2011
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6

The latest version of UnityHub is not working at all only gives a black screen on my MBP and really troubles me. In the screenshot attached, any button in the dialog not even working at all, and I need to force quit UnityHub.

I download manually the Unity LTS 2019.4.37f1 (The last supported version for my 10.12) but can't open it because it requires a license only from UnityHub.

Fortunately, I have an old UnityHub install from last year, I can get the license using that, but because of auto-updates that can't be stopped from UnityHub it will updates to the latest version again and be broken again.

The licensing system also connected to the AssetStore login inside the UnityEditor and again I need to reinstall the old version of UnityHub every time I wanted to log in to AssetStore from UnityEditor which is a hassle.

When this trouble can be solved?
    And did the UnityLTS release mean only for UnityEditor, not for UnityHub? it that so why not return to the old license system that didn't need UnityHub or maybe use both?

Attached Files:

Yofisher and EvOne like this.
  5. KhashayarJan

KhashayarJan

@Gennady
    This is the only solution to a broken software which is forced on Unity users.
    This is so dumb!
    Just disable the auto update on Hub v2 and let us use that. Meanwhile you take your 5 year to fix this license bug.

SpockBauru, bernardinus and EvOne like this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is the hub recommending only the Intel version of the editor a bug or by design?

upload_2022-4-12_21-49-32.png

I'm using an Apple Silicon machine. I think the correct behaviour should either be to have the "Recommended version" on both, OR, if it has to be on one of them, it should be on the one that is the same as the platform I am using (in this case SILICON).

Or is silicon not considered "ready" yet and as such it is not recommended?

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This is a bug. The Hub team is aware and will look into it. The Apple Silicon version is recommended for Apple Silicon machines.

Harry-Wells and AcidArrow like this.
  8. Francoimora

Francoimora

Do you have an ETA for this to be fixed ? This actually makes it impossible to add a Sillicon editor install from the archives (and then, makes it impossible to add modules in unity install).

nico_st_29 likes this.
  9. bernardinus

bernardinus

@Gennady @LeonhardP sorry for the tag I want to confirm something.

For my issue, the developers in the support team can only share "Unfortunately, the problem seems the be the user's MacOS version. The minimum requirement for MacOS is 10.13"."

Help me a little bit, I read that the requirement for Unity Hub minimum is still 10.12+ and didn't change as of 27 April 2022
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 9.21.33 PM.png

Source: https://unity.com/download

And the requirement for Unity 2019.4.38 minimum is still 10.12.6
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 9.21.48 PM.png

Source: https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2019.4.38

Can the UnityHub Team help me with how to run Unity 2019.4.38 in MacOS 10.12.6?
    And how to sign in to Asset Store from Unity 2019.4.38 in MacOS 10.12.6?

Or all the uses access in Unity must be in macOS 10.13+

10. tacman1123

tacman1123

11. MikhaelMartin

MikhaelMartin

12. Thaina

Thaina

Not sure anyone mention this but how can we select platform we want to open our project on creation? I am annoyed that I need to create project in windows platform then need to switch to webgl after that. 2 step waiting just to initialize project

EvOne likes this.
  13. BradZoob

BradZoob

Do we have access to the same API's Unity Hub does? is it even possible for us to replicate the existing Hub behaviour in our own projects? I dunno why this is taking so long and why it has virtually none of the features i'd expect to see in a "hub" app, but if there's no dedicated hub team and it's just a dude on his breaks, maybe just expose the API calls to an authenticated API for packages/editors that we can use to orchestrate our own management? is there any pressing reason why Unity wants to handle this? because assigned task and motivation are absolutely not in observable parity.

stuff like, from within the hub, being able to;

* favourite projects
    * designate many2many groups of projects
    * being able to access our local assets list and install them into existing projects
    * set pre-loaded groups of packages / assets / settings as templates without leaving the hub
    * set arbitrary attributes on a project (json / jsonschema if yr feelin fancy)

These seem like really simple features, currently the hub only provides features we already had without Hub so i'm still baffled as to why you bothered, but if Unity devs are starved of resources just give us the ability to apply for an API key and we can sort it out ourselves.

mgear likes this.
  14. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

@BradZoob
    Personally I see the Hub mainly as an installer for the editor versions and it does a decent job at that. And of course as a launcher (especially when you have multiple editors installed).
    As for packages, why would you want to use the Hub for that and not the package manager in the editor?

Btw. there is already a favorite feature in 3.X. Click the star :)

15. john79

john79

check this out

Attached Files:

16. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Not sure it is exactly that but indeed the HUB was for a short time infested due to a dev of a 3rd party package having gone rougue (it was a statement against Russia and the malware only acted on russian IPs if I recall right) q_q
    That affected a number of softwares.
    Lots of companies have instated a more rigorous process on updating 3rd party libs since then. Hopefully Unity too.

Why are you digging this up now though? Version 3.1 is long outdated.

17. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

In my opinion the guy did a public service, making us all aware that we were blindly running code from strangers.

18. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Yee, but it is also a sad "that's why we can't have nice things" realization :/

19. Thaina

Thaina

Because we always have 1 hub in the machine. While unity editor may have multiple version and each project use difference version. Tomorrow we may switch and OS need to be aware of that to make file extension and url association correctly

But if the hub are responsible for that then it make so much easier, we can uninstall unity editor everyday but hardly uninstall hub