Search Unity

Bug Unity Hub 3.0 fails to open

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Michael-Ryan, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I recently installed Unity Hub 3.0, and have been unable to launch the application ever since.

The application immediately crashes, and an error prompt appears:

2022-01-14 12꞉17꞉15 Unity_Hub.png

The above three options appear to do nothing. The panel simply closes. "Restart" doesn't restart the application and "Quit" doesn't appear to close any of the Hub-related processes in Task Manager.

After receiving the error prompt, later attempts open the app just show a black empty window:

2022-01-14 12꞉17꞉49 Unity_Hub.png

Killing the Hub process in Task Manager and running the application will again present the error prompt shown above.

The following errors are near the bottom of the
    info-log.json
    :

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {"level":"error","message":"[\n  'Failed to start Unity Hub, reason: Error: no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Lun\"'\n]","moduleName":"App","timestamp":"2022-01-14T21:05:48.468Z"}
    2. {"level":"error","message":"[\n  'Error: no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Lun\"\\n' +\n    '    at parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\lib\\\\parser.js:473:15)\\n' +\n    '    at Parser.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\lib\\\\parser.js:477:24)\\n' +\n    '    at Snapdragon.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\index.js:122:28)\\n' +\n    '    at Snapdragon.<anonymous> (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:40:45)\\n' +\n    '    at Braces.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:66:26)\\n' +\n    '    at Braces.expand (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:87:18)\\n' +\n    '    at create (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:142:15)\\n' +\n    '    at memoize (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:298:13)\\n' +\n    '    at Function.braces.create (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:165:10)\\n' +\n    '    at Function.braces.expand (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:81:17)'\n]","moduleName":"App","timestamp":"2022-01-14T21:05:48.469Z"}
    3. {"level":"error","message":"[\n  'no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Lun\"\\n' +\n    'Error: no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Lun\"\\n' +\n    '    at parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\lib\\\\parser.js:473:15)\\n' +\n    '    at Parser.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\lib\\\\parser.js:477:24)\\n' +\n    '    at Snapdragon.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\snapdragon\\\\index.js:122:28)\\n' +\n    '    at Snapdragon.<anonymous> (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:40:45)\\n' +\n    '    at Braces.parse (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:66:26)\\n' +\n    '    at Braces.expand (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\lib\\\\braces.js:87:18)\\n' +\n    '    at create (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:142:15)\\n' +\n    '    at memoize (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:298:13)\\n' +\n    '    at Function.braces.create (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:165:10)\\n' +\n    '    at Function.braces.expand (C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Unity Hub\\\\resources\\\\app.asar\\\\node_modules\\\\braces\\\\index.js:81:17)'\n]","moduleName":"ErrorBox","timestamp":"2022-01-14T21:05:48.469Z"}
    I'll send the full log file, if that will help.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Unity Hub multiple times in an attempt to fix this issue.

I renamed the
    %APPDATA%\UnityHub
    folder between installs, so that it would create a clean install, but that didn't help. The same error prompt appears when first run and the black window on each consecutive run.

2. eduard1

eduard1

Hi! i have the same problem in my unity Hub. I followed this tutorial:
    and it says that you have to uninstall your current version of visual studio and instal the 2015 version. Although it didn't work for me, it maybe work for you coz i read in the comments that it actually works. I have now your same issue that as Unity Hub open it don't shows nothing.

3. JacquesJ

JacquesJ

I am having the exact same issue as @Michael-Ryan. I am using Windows 10 on a new machine.

I've tried multiple uninstalls, restarts, reinstalls, deleted all the data related to Unity in AppData/Roaming and I am still getting the same error each time. Currently unable to work on anything as there is no way to revert back to version 2.4.5 of the Unity Hub...

4. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I gave up on 3.0.0 and downloaded the previous version (2.4.5) and installed that. Everything is working again.

I grabbed copies from Wayback Machine, which took snapshots of those files a few times since release.

Unity Hub Setup 2.4.5 for Windows (from a 2021-11-05 snapshot):

Unity Hub Setup 2.4.5 for Mac (from a 2021-11-07 snapshot):

Visiting the page directly in my Windows web browsers failed to download the file. I'm not sure why. However, using
    wget
    in WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) the files downloaded fine.

Also, the 2.4.5 copy that @SammmZ posted in another thread was a binary match to the version I downloaded, so if you're looking for a copy for Windows, that should work for you. https://forum.unity.com/threads/old-version-of-unity-hub.620128/#post-7810056

Normally, I wouldn't install files hosted by strangers in Dropbox and Google Drive, but it did seem okay given that it was a binary match.

5. JacquesJ

JacquesJ

Thank you @Michael-Ryan for the links, I'm back up and running with the 2.4.5 version.

Michael-Ryan likes this.
  6. silvio_HARDlight

silvio_HARDlight

Same here, I might downgrade then, my colleagues had no trouble though.

7. silvio_HARDlight

silvio_HARDlight

3.0.1 is out today and it fixed the issue for me.

Michael-Ryan likes this.
  8. Monkeylust

Monkeylust

similar problem

9. Monkeylust

Monkeylust

Man thanks

Michael-Ryan likes this.
  10. pahe

pahe

Interesting. I've run 3.0.0 without any problems and was "forced" to update to 3.0.1 (is there any way to deactivate auto update in the hub?) and now the hub is broken for me.

11. mgear

mgear

not tested but there is config file in
    C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub
    hubConfig.json

that has: "hubDisableAutoUpdate":false

12. TheGamery

TheGamery

Just got the update today and now broken, thanks Unity... you'd think they'd test stuff before hand...

13. vbjack72

vbjack72

Thank you so much, this seems to have fixed the issues for me with Hub 3.0 and Win 11

14. rasterX

rasterX

I was getting a similar error in info-log.json

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {..."App","message":"[\n  'Failed to start Unity Hub, reason: Error: no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Clo\"'\n]"}
    2. {..."App","message":"[\n  'Error: no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Clo\"\\n' +\n    '    at parse... }
    3. {..."ErrorBox","message":"[\n  'no parsers registered for: \"]\\\\Clo\"\\n' +\n    'Error: no parsers registered ...}
    My project began with the word "Cloud", so it looked like a path problem. After much trial and error, I found that Hub 3.x cannot handle Project paths that have square brackets.

Something like this would always crash:
    D:\Projects\New Unity Project [1]
    D:\Projects\New Unity Project [a]
    D:\Projects [A]\New Unity Project

Yet these are okay:
    D:\Projects\New Unity Project []
    D:\Projects\New Unity Project [aa]
    D:\Projects [ABC]\New Unity Project

I tried other escaped characters that are legal in Windows filenames, .^$+(){}, and they seem to be fine. There may be other non-Basic Latin characters that cause the same problem however.

I had many projects that had square brackets, so I thought deleting "%username%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub" would clear out the Hub's Project list. No luck, it appears Hub stores the Project paths as values in the registry key:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5.x\RecentlyUsedProjectPaths-0_h1234567890
    (where 1234567890 is a ten-digit incrementing number)

So this is what I think is happening. On startup, Hub validates paths stored in the RecentlyUsedProjectPaths* keys. If the path does not exist, it won't show in the Projects list, nor will it delete it from the registry. If any path contains a "bad" string, in my case "[L]", and the path exists, Hub will crash with the Critical Error dialog.

What I did was
    1. rename Project folder names (and parent path if needed).
    2. edit the registry RecentlyUsedProjectPaths* keys to match the new paths

Note - If you don't care about the existing Project list in Hub, you could just delete all the RecentlyUsedProjectPaths* keys

If you have MANY projects in Hub and you don't want to manually re-add them, you could make a registry script in this format:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5.x]
    4. "RecentlyUsedProjectPaths-0_h1085040554"=hex:44,3A,5C,50,72,6F,6A,65,63,74,73,5C,4E,65,77,20,55,6E,69,74,79,20,50,72,6F,6A,65,63,74,20,28,31,29,00
    The above would define the first project as:
    D:\Projects\New Unity Project (1)
    Note - don't forget the terminating 00.

This page is useful for converting text to comma-delimited ascii hex
    https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html

Summary
    Unity Hub 3.x does not like the string "[c]", where "c" is any character, in a Project path.

Environment
    Unity Hub: 3.1.0-beta.1
    Unity Editor: 2021.2.10f1

15. kyubuns

kyubuns

I am using windows 10 and after updating to 3.1.0-beta.2 I encountered the same problem and could not start Unity Hub.
    I downgraded to Unity Hub 3.0.1 and it started fine.

16. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

This brackets issue is quite likely the cause of the crashes I was seeing, because brackets are being used in many project folder names. Hopefully Unity fixes this issue.

17. HashBakshish

HashBakshish

Thanks a lot. This fixed the issue for me

18. k-latte

k-latte

OMG thank you! Never would have thought that adding [M] to a project would do this, especially when [Mobile] was perfectly fine.

BTW on mac I just renamed the project folder and it's working, although I also regenerated the project files for good measure.

19. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

Until today, I was still running Unity Hub 2.4.5 on Windows, however having just installed 3.2.0, I can confirm the crash I previously reported seems to have been fixed.

Earlier this morning, I noticed that the 3.2.0 release notes mention a fix that seems related:

While the text of the bug fix appears to focus on project creation, in my case, I already had existing project paths that ended with "[x]", and I believe those paths were the cause of the crash I originally reported.

So far 3.2.0 seems to be running well for me. My thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and helped track down the cause of the issue.

20. henriqueweed

henriqueweed

Thanks @Michael-Ryan i spend all day on this :T and only this version 2.4.5 worked for me. god bless you man

21. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

I'm using Hub version 3.3.0, and after creating a new project using Unity 2021.3.8f1 LTS, the hub tells me I created the project using a version of Unity I have never had on my computer, with the option to rebuild the project in the correct version. This has happened 3 times now, with 3 different versions of Unity I have never had. I guess in order to sync the hub with Unity, it too needs to be buggy as hell...

22. yhelbig

yhelbig

I cleared the problem of Unity Hub coming up as a blank window by closing Unity Hub, then using task manager to close any lingering instances of Unity Hub and Unity.Licensing.Client. Finally, restart Unity Hub and my projects appear.

23. Chris45215

Chris45215

I am having the same problem. I haven't used Unity for more than a year, so I updated from v2.something (maybe 2.2) to the latest 3.3. Then the new version of the Hub fails to open, and after a few minutes of it failing it presents some options to report an error or retry. When I tell it to report the error, the window disappears and all the Unity stuff is gone - there is no error reporting menu, so I can't even tell if a report is sent.

The version 2.4.5 that @Michael-Ryan lined earlier is a godsend and does work - and it let me see all my existing Unity projects again.

I am trying to end all Unity Hub instances in Task Manager, but two of them refuse to end.

24. wisestmedia

wisestmedia

find the solution here

25. Liam2349

Liam2349

I just had this error after updating to 3.5. I had to end all Unity Hub processes in Task Manager and then it launched the next time.

There were eight instances running in the background.

26. launemax

launemax

mmuller and Anthony_cts like this.
  27. Anthony_cts

Anthony_cts

Version 3.6 is indeed not working. Install the version launemax linked above to make it work again.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    mmuller likes this.
  28. mmuller

mmuller

Gotta love Unity Hub :D

29. launemax

launemax

Version 3.6.1-beta.1 seems to work. If you get offered this version to update, then its ok to update.