Search Unity

Resolved Unity Hub 2.4.0 Does not reliably open for me. My project then cannot read my license (2020.1.1)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Zklegon, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Zklegon

Zklegon

Hi Everybody,

Currently I'm having problems opening Unity Hub 2.4.0 which I think is the main problem that is causing my project to fail to see that I either have a license attached to my account or that I'm logged in, I've ran into both problems.

I'm unsure of why this is occurring now, it may be from upgrading Unity Hub or something caused by the most recent Windows Update.

The fairly consistent steps to lead to this issue are:
    1. I try to open Unity Hub via desktop shortcut.

2. Unity Hub generally fails to load but appears in my task manager showing that something is running. It usually does not appear in the arrow menu in the bottom right of the taskbar that shows currently running software though. When UH 2.4.0 is active it does appear there.

3. Clicking the shortcut again brings up Unity Hub (just standard Unity Hub though, not with 2.4.0 following it like I've noticed has when I'm able to successfully open my project with Collaborate being functional)

4.From here I'm able to attempt to open my project, sometimes opening the project displays the Unity Splash page then does nothing. Opening the project again sometimes causes a new instance of Unity Hub to appear. Sometimes a pop-up saying Unity cannot find Unity Hub appears and it asks for me to either install Unity Hub or exit Unity.

5. My project sometimes opens but seems to lack a connection with Unity Hub allowing for it to understand that I'm signed in and preventing me from accessing Collaborate.

6.Rarely the project is opened through UH 2.4.0 and things connect and work properly.

It seems UH is somehow opening old versions of itself or accessing old data.

I've tried to do a clean install of Unity Hub several times but it's possible I've missed some of the files. Would a clean install help? Where are all the various UH folders located? Should I download the latest version of Unity?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Small Update: Attempting to open Unity directly by clicking on the executable always causes the prompt to Install Unity Hub to appear and sometimes will also open Unity Hub (attached image). Picture of the two different Unity Hubs in task manager (attached image) Unity Hub Error 2.png Unity Hub Error.png Multiple Unity Hubs.png

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. Zklegon

Zklegon

Hey Everybody,

I found a solution for my issue. I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling both Unity Hub and the current version of Unity I was using (in the editor's case I ended up deleting most of its files before uninstalling in properly, I don't think this had any negative effects but it may have caused the uninstalling process to take a little longer than usual). Then I deleted all of the files in the drive where I had saved those two programs as well as any files related to the Unity Editor and Unity Hub. This included the files located in the User name -> AppData Local, LocalLow, and Roaming folders.

From here I reinstalled Unity Hub and then reinstalled Unity through Unity Hub. I had to reactivate my license and then I closed Unity Hub and moved my Unity installation from my C: drive to my E: drive (not necessary for the fix but doing this didn't cause it to break again).

Not sure what ended up causing the issue in the first place, it may have been some conflicts with some old Unity files from previous versions or it maybe couldn't detect Unity since it wasn't in this folder structure
    Unity -> Hub -> Editor -> Current Editor Version (2020.1.6f1)

Hopefully this help if someone else runs into this issue!