Search Unity

Unity Hub 2.1.0 - Unity Hub window size changes after reoponing said window from the tray

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Hub window size changes after reoponing said window from the tray, or restarting it entirely.

First start:

Sans-titre-1.jpg
    Then, each time I close the window from the cross on the top right and reopen it from the icon tray, the size enlarges.

Second time:

Sans-titre-2.jpg
    Third time:

Sans-titre-3.jpg
    Fourth time:

Sans-titre-4.jpg
    After the fourth time, the window comes back to its original size and the cycle restarts.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I can't believe we didn't catch that before releasing. I can reproduce it on my machine too. We'll get on that fairly soon.

Thanks for reporting this :D,

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found the main-window.json file that contains the supposed dimensions of the main window. The content of this file changes each time I reopen the window but the indicated dimensions have nothing to do with the actual dimensions of the window.

Example:
    • size of the window: 1220 x 799,
    • content of the file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {"width":1024,"height":760,"x":280,"y":112,"displayBounds":{"x":0,"y":0,"width":1536,"height":864},"isMaximized":false,"isFullScreen":false}
    Apparently, this file is not used as settings for the window size; it just records the changes that occurred, except if you modify "isMaximized":false, into "isMaximized":true. This setting will be used each time you start the Hub or just reopen the window.

Unfortunately, I don't want to use the Hub maximised and I'd like to set it's size myself; if you could do that. :)

"isFullScreen":true doesn't work; I don't see what would be the point anyway.

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Please don't tamper the Hub config files. This makes troubleshooting issues very difficult for us :D

We'll fix this very soon I promise!

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't really but now that I think of if, I haven't just deleted it, just to see what happens. :D

Edit: I did it. Unity Hub just recreated it and the problem is still there... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
    AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello!

This is happening in Linux Mint and probably all the other Linux distributions (it cannot happen only to me, hey?); I guess it was never fixed for non Windows OSes.

I'm using the UnityHub.appimage that I downloaded from this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-v2-0-0-release.677485/#post-4936106 :)

9. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt,

I admit we haven't really looked into this evenly across OSes. I'll bring this up to the team.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you! :)

About Unity Hub updates: how do they work for people who use the appimage, like me?

11. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

They should work the same. The Hub will overwrite the AppImage with the latest as far as I know.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. Any update to come soon?

I have another question: do you have any idea where the icon that displays in the dock/task bar, the one on which we must click when we want to reopen the Hub window, is stored when we use the appimage in Linux? It's far too big, I'd like to reduce it.

13. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

I'll link to my other post for the update. As for the icon, I'm not sure where but if you feel like digging it's probably in the AppImage's Resource folder.

Cheers,

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Charles_Beauchemin This problem is still there in 2.3.2 for Linux, the Appimage.

Will it be fixed one day or another or must I forget it because I'm not using the "right" OS?

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

16. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt,

Sorry about this issue. We'll have a closer look. Are you still using Mint? We currently support/test Ubuntu and Debian. I don't know enough about Linux distributions to tell if this would be problematic but we'll make sure this isn't happening on Ubuntu at least.

Cheers,

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, I'm still using Mint and Mint is a made from Ubuntu, so fixing the problem on Ubuntu should fix it on Linux. I don't understand why nobody complains about that though, does everyone use the Hub full screen? Or is it just that nobody cares?

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AbrahamDUnity I found a fix for the window not staying put:
    1. open the Hub,
    2. give the window the desired dimensions and positioning on the screen,
    3. close the Hub,
    4. locate "main-window.json" and put it on read only.
    I wish I no longer have to do that in the future versions though.

19. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@APSchmidt I understand. This issue probably has a similar fix as the Windows one. We might not have validated on Ubuntu back then. I'll make sure a fix gets in.

Cheers,

Deleted User likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. :)

I haven't paid attenton, are new versions of the Hub released on a regular schedule, like, every three months, or are they released when they are ready?

21. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

We've been trying to follow a regular schedule but we also try to have the releases validated by more people beforehand. This makes the process quite lengthy at times.