Search Unity

Feedback Unity Hub 2.0 - my feedback

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Lurking-Ninja, May 14, 2019.

1. So, finally I installed the 2.0 Hub, so I had some chance to try it out, here are my thoughts on it:
    hub.PNG hub3.PNG

1. I like the overall layout of the project list
    2. I don't like the "New cloud projects are available[...]" message, it's a trap. No new cloud projects, they are old ones, the top two are cloud projects. Why do you need to notify us and ask us to refresh every single time when I open the hub from the tray? I don't even like when it ask me to refresh when the Hub starts up after computer shut down. Nothing has changed, I have the same two cloud projects in my list as I have them for a while. Please, hide this message, do not ask for permission to refresh.
    3. I don't like that the Hub does not save its size and it resizes itself every time when I open up from tray or at start up, please save the position and size of the window (except when it goes out of window, then resize, reposition it - when I disconnect a display and the Hub is on it or something)
    4. I like the search bar, one suggestion: do not wait for click, please, open up the search bar and focus the input cursor in it on mouse hover, ready to search
    5. The "* Cloud project" tag is not really a good way to show it's a cloud project, I would rather use a background image for the row, triangle in the top-left corner, some cloud image? Or something? This is out of the layout and clutter the row Too much info in a small area
    6. We do not need the "Unity Version: xxx" string under the project name, when you have an entire column for it, please write this info in that column, if I don't have the proper Unity version then gray it out and allow me to select an installed one like always
    7. Instead of the Unity version, please, write the project path under the project name
    8. Of course, please, provide "Delete project" and "Hide from Hub" functionality. ;)
    hub2.PNG
    1. I really don't like this card-style Installs layout, it's not comfortable for me, I would like to see table-like layout here as well
    2. Kudos for picking up the 2019.2.014 automatically when I installed the Hub (this version was installed through the old assistant)!
    3. We do not need the Unity logos in this many copies, you don't have any other software which can go there so it is redundant and takes up a lot of space for no reason
    4. If you were provide a table-like layout you can show the version in a column, the supported targets and you still would have enough space for the drop down menu and separate warning that it's an alpha or beta version
    hub4.PNG
    1. Please, separate the major versions somehow: dropdowns? Like tree view?
    2. Definitely show Alpha and Beta tags here in color, it's important
    3. I would love to see more detailed beta and alpha versions (not just the very last one), if possible
    Summary: thank you for your work, I really like where the Hub is going! Also I know some people have problems with it, I need to mention that nowadays I do not have any problems, the Unity versions are downloading quickly, installs performed in a timely manner, I always am able to log in, so I'm happy with it overall.

2. PW_Dave

PW_Dave

I want to second #7 on your list. Please put the path back in the list, since we don't need 2 copies of the version. We have multiple branches of our project that contain the Unity project folder as a subdirectory. This is what my Unity Hub looks like:
    upload_2019-5-15_12-13-34.png
    Please, make the pain go away. Thanks.

3. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Excellent review, and accurate, the new UI is very wasteful on space, as programmers we are VERY sensitive to wasted UI space and poor layout/design/ergonomics. Please have someone design the window layout who has experience with efficient UI design and low-mouse-space-movement/click requirements.

Karnsteiner likes this.
  4. henkjan

henkjan

Exactly the same problem for our projects! It's hard to see which project is which because they all have the same name. A displayed path or possibility to rename an entry would be great!

Karnsteiner likes this.
  5. Pascal_NotVeryMoe

Pascal_NotVeryMoe

Completely agree on a lot of these points, especially regarding the "New Cloud Projects are available" pop-up, the unity version screen as a list (without the giant logos), and separate streams/sections/colours for alphas/betas/major versions in the unity install dialog.

I put together a quick edit of the project screen, trying to incorporate some of the points and some of my own:
    Alt.png

(I'm biased against large amounts of padding, so I couldn't help but reduce it a little)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. Julien_at_work

Julien_at_work

The notification spam is something that should be reduced again as well. 'your license is up to date' or 'you're using the latest version of the hub' are really unnecessary.

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  7. addent

addent

Overall, Hub 2.0 feels a little worse for me than the old one. The only feature I like better is the ability to show the project in the explorer.

In particular, I dislike the card view of the installs as well, and would much prefer a list/table/tree view with the install path noted, more like the Projects view. In a tree view, you could show the installed modules of that version as children.

Also I don't like how the new/old uninstalled versions in Unity are hidden under the 'ADD' button. It feels unintuitive to me in Hub 2.0. I would rather have a table at the top with "installed versions" and another table below that with "not-installed versions" with appropriate buttons to install/uninstall them. I also want to have to complete list of alphas/betas with it clearly marked which are official/alpha/beta versions - trying to judge by the version number alone is difficult.

Finally, I would really like a notification bar at the bottom to say when a new version is available instead of the pop-up inside of Unity.

8. summerian

summerian

"Installs" new layout makes it super hard to see what versions I have installed.

Apart from that I like it.

The "Learn" button could take a smaller less central role - at least for me since I never use it.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  9. MigrantP

MigrantP

We also have to build some projects on multiple platforms, and it's nearly impossible to tell them apart now in Unity Hub. Literally the only way is to "reveal in finder" and see where it is. The tooltip showing the path is cut off very short.

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  10. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

The most unacceptable 'traits' of the current version of Unity Hub (v2.0) is the ability to slow down Unity editor once a project is opened. To test that, create an empty project with Unity Hub and set it to use version Unity 2018.3.14, switch the build target to iOS, and enjoy the super 'enjoyable' laggy unity editor. When you close the seemingly innocent Unity Hub, the Unity editor is smooth like silk again. So annoying.

11. n3wb13

n3wb13

I was hoping to see a pause download or limit download speed and option to not install automatically so that I could have a download in the background and still do something productive.

cmann and Pascal_NotVeryMoe like this.
  12. Hawaiianz

Hawaiianz

I think the hub would be perfect if it had a dark mode.

13. henkjan

henkjan

What about new Unity versions? I don't see if there are new versions. That's a shame.