Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Hub 2.0 Feedback & Please restore the list view for installs!

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Noisecrime, May 14, 2019.

1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Just update the Hub to 2.0 and its a bit of a mixed bag.

Overall the new appearance was a pleasant surprise. It feels much cleaner, more professional and with an improved layout. However my main annoyance and a real bugbear is the new installs layout. Please provide an option to have a list view alternative!

Installs Tab
    So the grid layout is just such a waste of space and provides zero benefits! Sure its pretty to look at but usability wise I find it very hard 'at a glance' to see what i've got installed. My eyes have to move in weird patterns to find Unity version and see what modules are installed. Not to mention scrolling isn't smooth and the grid appears to just jump up/down in cell height, meaning you have no really idea if things have moved or not.

I'm sure some users will like it, but personally i'd much prefer a list view alternative. Have it presented pretty much like the new Projects tab and were good. A list view provides a far superior readability as you can just scan down rows to determine which versions are installed, then look across the columns to gain additional information such as modules installed, LTS etc, sort by column etc.

Projects Tab
    My initial reaction was positive, its nice and clean with a good list layout. However upon reflection there are some awkward aspects.

1. Column Widths
    My Project names don't come close to fitting and that is a problem as projects frequently have similar names and differ only in some versioning information in the file name or specific client names. As some of my projects are reskinned for different clients, the client name comes after the project name and that is getting truncated.

While its possible to expand the width of the hub the space of the columns is unintuitive as they are all the same width. This is rather puzzling since version, platform and modification are all considerably shorter than potential project names and in fact they probably wouldn't need to expand at all.

Please consider making it so that expanding the hub width gives priority to expanding the project name column.

Oh and expanding the window width is not a good solution as the hub appears to forget its last dimensions every time you close it ( its still in the taskbar so not quit ?).

2. Row Content Alignment
    I find it awkward that version, platform and modification are all centered, I feel these would look far better and be more readable if they were vertically aligned top - to match the position of the filename.

3. List Headings
    The list heading is the same depth as other columns, but it doesn't need to be. Be nice to get back some vertical space and make the heading row say 60-75% the height it is now.

4. Loss of Project Location
    Pretty sure we used to have that in the list and now you have to roll over to get it in a popup and the popup is rather short in width ( forcing the location path to be two or even three lines deep! ). Not sure if losing it from the list view is a big issue, but having a wider popup is essential.

Create New Project
    I like the new design here, it looks clean and good use of space. Though depending on the number of templates that might be here I suspect an alternative list view might be beneficial.

General Comments
    Sort order requires clicking on the arrow and not the column header. - Its a bit of a pain and confusing at first, would expect clicking on an already selected column header would toggle the sort order. This would also be more consistent, as clicking on the text of the Unity version of a project or target platform brings up their respective popupboxes, you don't have to click on its little arrow.

Overall the performance appears rather poor, and much worse than I remember in previous versions. Clicking on the side tabs you can see the Google Material UI look clearly as the button animation is slow and freezes. Not sure what the cause of the sluggish performance is but pretty sure it could be improved, even if its just giving the impression by waiting to load data until button animations have finished or something.

Anyway despite this wall of text, overall I'm still loving the Hub, it has been a great boost in usability and productivity. There are some issues here and there, but hopefully these can be quickly addressed and rectified.

RogDolos, andymads, arielsan and 6 others like this.
  2. Kwintspiracy

Kwintspiracy

Hi!

Backing up the feedback regarding Project path location./
    Path use to be immediately available, written under project name. No action needed. Now it requires 2 actions. Some serious lost in UX in my opinion.

andymads, ratking and Noisecrime like this.
  3. anhdangnhat

anhdangnhat

Great feedbacks.

Besides re-showing project location, could you please add a "nickname"/alias feature for projects? Sometimes, we have projects located in folders having the same name, which leads to many project names looking the same in the list. We then have to check project locations to differentiate among them, and that is quite inconvenient.

Noisecrime likes this.
  4. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah I can't quite decide whether it is important for myself or not, but that is not to say there isn't plenty evidence that it really should have never been removed. Must have read half a dozen replies to the Hub 2.0 beta with devs who end up having to name each project the exact same name ( ie. 'Unity' ) and for whom there is clearly no alternative to path location as a means of differentiation.

I think the question is what is the solution, one which i'm dismayed was never even addressed by the team over the two months or more of beta or even alpha.

Personally I see a few options

1. Bring it back by default.
    2. Bring it back as a optional setting ( default on or off? )
    3. Bring it back by default but place it full length of the row, beneath the other information since there is a lot of wasted space. Would have to see what it looks like - but potentially a very useful design layout choice.
    4. Be clever - if the project name is the same, replace or prepend the displayed name with the first unique parent folder path. Though probably still want the full path as an optional setting.

baba_s and ChibigDev like this.
  5. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah I read about the nickname idea, but not sure i'm convinced its the right way to go since it obviously relies on additional data being stored and potentially lost. Then again if this data is stored in ProjectSettings and some of that is lost you are in potentially a lot more trouble then just seeing the project name in the hub ;)

I don't see why it couldn't be implemented though, perhaps along with the 'being clever' option in my last post and then provide the choice as optional setting in preferences of the Hub.

6. hololabs

hololabs

VERY FRUSTRATED that the project path is no longer visible! We have Unity projects nested in larger project hierarchies and they always have the same folder name (eg, "UnityProject"). This means that everything in Unity Hub has the exact same name. Furthermore, when I mouse over the name, I only see the start of the project path as the end is truncated.

JeremyGreen, TofaPT, andymads and 3 others like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes please. The current tiles are neither sorted, nor is there a good reason to have them. Unless you can change the logo or something :p

Noisecrime likes this.
  8. mcmorry

mcmorry

We have several assets projects as sub-branches and they all have the same project name. The path was the only way to differentiate them. Now we'll have to open every time using the "Open" menu, to browse to the correct folder.
    Add back the project path in the list please

JeremyGreen, TofaPT, andymads and 5 others like this.
  9. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah I did consider afterwards it might have been nice to have the whole tile be colourised or something to denote release, beta, alpha or even a picture of the startup window of that version of unity. However while pretty and somewhat useful, the same information could just as easily be conveyed in a list view anyway.

10. xavi_GSN

xavi_GSN

The full project path is vital !! This is useless, I have paths that direct me to the project workspace and I can't get to distinguish between the 2 copies of my project... this is very bad, what kind of workflow supports trusting the name of the app without checking the path ? I have 3 to 4 copies of a project when working on different features of the same project...

TofaPT, andymads, baba_s and 3 others like this.
  11. swh_

swh_

Full path is vital for us as well! Fortunately I had an old installer for Hub 1.2.0 lying around because archives of past Hub releases seem to be non-existent!

andymads and ratking like this.
  12. ratking

ratking

The decision to remove the project folder was really unfortunate. How about asking developers before you roll out such changes?

13. Karnsteiner

Karnsteiner

Its been in plan supposedly since a year ago, but it is really crappy that it didn't make it into this version. It was a really terrible decision to not include this at all. I'm hunting for old installers of Unity Hub to revert if anyone has an older copy around.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/feature-req-use-project-title-from-unity-project.540021/

TofaPT and SugoiDev like this.
  14. DriesVienne

DriesVienne

Since we have multiple branches of the same project, we also feel that the loss of the project path indication is a drop in quality of life.

TofaPT, xavi_GSN, andymads and 2 others like this.
  15. diekeure

diekeure

Dev or staging branch?
    Not much of a gambling man myself...

upload_2019-5-14_14-15-28.png

16. MadAboutPandas3

MadAboutPandas3

Same problem here. I have a copy of each project for each platform because the platform switch takes so long and I can working while I do a build for another platform. Without paths the Unity Hub is useless for me.

TofaPT and andymads like this.
  17. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

You can hover the Project name to see the location. But I agree it is not ideal and feels clunky. I would prefer to see the Path explicitly there, or just allow developers to give custom names or meta info to projects in the Unity Hub.

I also have several project copies for the different platforms, as it takes long and haven't gotten around setting up the Unity Cache Server system.

18. MikeMichaels

MikeMichaels

Like many here, I find the previous UI that listed the path of the project along with the final project directory to be much more useful. For some of us that final directory is not the actual project name, so having the path (which includes the project name at a higher level) is much more useful.

The other feature that I would love to have is the ability to remove items from the project list. This functionality was added to visual studio years ago and I have found it extremely useful. I have some unity projects on the list that are years old and not even present on the disk anymore. The ability to trim down the list of projects to something relevant would be very welcome.

TofaPT, SugoiDev and diekeure like this.
  19. KieranNeeMT

KieranNeeMT

Another vote for restoring project location to full visibility here. It's a pretty essential part of my workflow to have multiple clones of my repo open for on/off tasks like upgrading Unity version or experiments and this change really isn't an improvement at all.

TofaPT, SugoiDev and rossmcverry like this.
  20. IES_Travis

IES_Travis

Hovering to reveal the path doesn't even work right, it shows a truncated mess, sometimes not even enough of the path to distinguish between projects once you scroll down in the list a little. This behaviour of reducing the tooltip to a single line after x projects is so bizarre! I've got 6 branches of just one project that all show near identical paths!!! I'll be making an effort to roll back to 1.6 until some better solution is found.

New interface is far too "fancy new age" as if catering to some hypster end users instead of the developers that are actually using hub. Developers need context and information. You can't take that away and expect everything to be fine.

SugoiDev and ratking like this.
  21. Fingerbob

Fingerbob

I'm not normally one to make a noise, but I've just grabbed Hub 2.0.0 and I'd like to add my voice to the feedback concerns noted above.

Hovering over the project name gives a truncated path - this is virtually useless in theory, and worse than useless in practice - it doesn't contain the relevant information, and it frustrates the user.
    to fix: At the very least, show the entire project path on hover without any further interaction. Wrap it if you have to. Better would be a UI switch to toggle full path vs project name, or click to toggle full path vs project name.

Installs grid is a huge waste of space. Embedded icons for e.g. platform are nice, but would be more useful as a filter.
    to fix: just make it a list. If you want to get all fancy-like, put in an icon showing the splash screen, and the icons for platform packages etc, to the right of the version name.

There still doesn't appear to be a way to remove a project (from the list, from disk, or both). Beep?

TofaPT likes this.
  22. Ferazel

Ferazel

I want to echo this sentiment. Even though we have all of our projects names differently, removing the full path is a poor choice. I'm not sure why people felt that the current version of the project was more important than the path. The partial path on hover is also a poor choice. At least make that the full path if you have to make the user wait for it. The current version should be in the "unity version" column not the project name column.
    You're wasting space clarifying that it is the unity version. I think the full path of the project is important and should be treated as first class information related to the project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Karnsteiner likes this.
  23. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

Username is clipped

Аннотация 2019-05-14 194253.png

24. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

I would love the ability to be able to rename a project. Currently i'm dealing with a clients project and the folder name is not descriptive of the actual project. This causes a lot of confusion when searching for the project in Unity Hub

25. NWalker_FGOL_Ubisoft

NWalker_FGOL_Ubisoft

100%!

Loss of project PATH is so frustrating. We have multiple streams (a.k.a. branches), and the Unity project is not the top level directory. Therefore, all I see is a list of "our_game" projects listed one after the other. I can't even search via project path.

Please seriously consider the implications of changing a design, especially when that change is unnecessary.

TofaPT, xavi_GSN and SugoiDev like this.
  26. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I think we have a lot of voices here already about the project folder, but I'll add my own. All my projects are named Unity3D (they share a lot of settings for version control and tooling).

I would love to see the actual product name in the hub as well, since just "Unity3D" is useless to me, but with the folder path it was usable. Now it's a gamble.

Noisecrime likes this.
  27. fullbright_aaron

fullbright_aaron

Ditto on the project path problem. I have multiple projects running on Perforce streams in different workspaces that all use the same "Project Name". The project path was the only way to tell which version of the project I was opening.

TofaPT likes this.
  28. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Would it be worth asking for the ProductName ( the name entered into Unity PlayerSettings) being used as an optional alternative for the Project Name ( folder name )? Would that be an improvement for most people? Obviously I still think that the location path needs to be included, even if its an optional setting, but I also like the idea of using the ProductName.

A SOLUTION?
    Heck we have list view with columns and a resizable window ( albeit one that forgets its size when you close it! ) why not provide a dropdown to choose what columns are displayed? That would likely solve every ones problems!

For the hub Developers it means they can default to the current setup, maintaining their look and feel.
    Project Name | Unity Version | Target Platform | LastModified

For everyone else they can decide between any or all of
    Project Name | ProductName | FullFolderPath | Unity Version | Target Platform | LastModified

With bonus points for making column widths resizable and double points for simply parsing the list of entries then setting the width of each column to match the longest number of characters!

Karnsteiner likes this.
  29. andymads

andymads

Exactly the same for me. Now having to hover to locate the project I want to open.

JeremyGreen and TofaPT like this.
  30. andymads

andymads

And this.

31. TofaPT

TofaPT

Just updated to the Hub 2.0, can I also add the request to add the project path back please! - I had multiple checkouts of the same project and cannot tell which is which! So I had to ditch the hub and revert to choosing desktop links like in pre-hub days (I only found out about mouse hover when I visited here to give this feedback, but it is a less than ideal solution).

32. joolst

joolst

Yes, please give us the project path back, as before. Tool tips are a horrible UI experience and the truncation removes the useful bit of the path on our build machine :(

Karnsteiner likes this.
  33. QualityJohn_TT

QualityJohn_TT

Same here. Tooltip is truncated so all 16 workspaces show as "/Users/QualityJohn/.jenkins/workspace/..." This is less than helpful.

I've had to stop using the Hub because of this issue

Karnsteiner likes this.
unityunity