Search Unity

Feedback Unity Hub 2.0 Design flaws

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by georgeq, May 24, 2019.

1. georgeq

georgeq

It seems there's a trend among UI designers to design everything as it was going to run on mobile web browser, and I have nothing against that if you're designing for mobile devices, but I find ridiculous to design the UI of a desktop application that way. As a PC user I DO EXPECT that all popup windows to be movable, because whether you like it or not, every time you pop up a window requesting input, chances you're hiding the exact piece of information they need to watch in order to answer your question.

Watch this:

hubflaws.png

Do you want to upgrade your project to a newer version of Unity?

To answer this question is quite simple if you are focused on a train of though, but what if you were interrupted by a phone call or some other time consuming task. When I return to my PC after been away for several minutes and find this on my screen, all sorts of questions come to my mind; did I clicked on the right project?, did I choose the right version?...

1) There's absolutely nothing on this window to help me feel sure I made the right choices: your project? which project?... newer version? which version?...

2) The selected project is not highlighted so even if I was able to move the window, I wouldn't be able to see which project I selected.

3) There's no title bar nor any other tool to allow the window to be moved and see what's behind.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man, but back in the 80's we invented movable windows to solve a necessity not to show off nor because it was a fancy "nice to have" thing, and it's a shame that the world has been taken over by lazy designes.

Too sad to see the lessons learned by my generation have been forgotten or sacrificed for the sake of "style".

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi georgeq,

Your points are totally valid. I reported the issue to our designer and product manager.

Best,
    Afshin

Pascal_NotVeryMoe likes this.
  3. georgeq

georgeq

Thank you very much Afshin, I'm glad Unity always listens!

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

The biggest perk of working at Unity for me is the community. We know that we make mistakes, and we are always listening for suggestions/feedback to do better.

Thanks for your feedback.

5. georgeq

georgeq

Thank you for listening.