Search Unity

Unity Hub 0.20.1 Project Folder Relocation? Which folder do we need?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by twhittaker, Aug 22, 2018.

1. twhittaker

twhittaker

Thanks for adding the Uninstaller to windows.

The latest version prompts:
    "Do you want to relocated your Project Packages? Unity needs to relocate your Packages folder to the UnityPackageManager folder under your Project. You can safely delete the old folder after proceeding if it is no longer needed"

If I delete the "Packages" folder under my project I get the above Relocation message each time I launch via Hub. Hub the creates the Packages folder. Do I need UnityPackagerManger or Packages folder? I found conflicting information in my searches.

2. mathieur

mathieur

Unity Technologies

Hello! I can confirm that after the upgrade, you can delete the `UnityPackageManager` folder (provided you didn't have custom-made files or folders there, in which case you should move them to the `Packages` folder prior to deleting) and only keep the `Packages` folder. `Packages` is the folder name we use and will use going forward for packages.

MechEthan and twhittaker like this.
  3. twhittaker

twhittaker

Thanks for the information. As a minor feedback, the dialog is worded poorly in my opinion.

"Unity needs to relocate your Packages folder to the UnityPackageManager folder under your Project."
    That implies the package folder is relocating to UnityPackageManger folder

"Unity needs to relocate your "UnityPackagerManger" folder to the "Packages" folder. You can safely delete the old "UnityPackageManager" folder if it is no longer needed."

Just a suggestions. Thanks for the updates!

milkhan and MechEthan like this.
  4. MechEthan

MechEthan

Yeah, the message is backwards. Left me very confused until I read this post.

5. mathieur

mathieur

Unity Technologies

Actually, I can confirm that the message is outright wrong and should be reversed! Our apologies!! I will file a bug to get it fixed asap. Thank you for the help!

Gen_Scorpius, teaspoon and MechEthan like this.
  6. Deozaan

Deozaan

Is this determined by Unity Hub or the version of Unity? It seems to me that Unity 2017.4.x LTS just keeps recreating the UnityPackageManager.

If it's dependent on the Unity version, then Unity Hub either needs to butt out and mind its own business, or Hub needs to be smart enough to recognize which version of Unity the project is using and not offer to move the folder unless the project is being upgraded from a version of Unity that uses the old location to a version of Unity that uses the new location.

As it is, it seems that no matter what I do, both directories are being recreated when I open the project.

Additionally, I checked the "Don't ask me this anymore" and now I can't figure out how to get it to ask me again. Any time you offer a "don't ask again" option, you need to add an option in the settings to disable that choice.

The stupid thing about all of this is that, as far as I can tell, Unity 2017.4.x LTS doesn't even really use the package manager. It just creates these files in preparation for Unity 2018.x when the package manager finally became exposed to the end-user.

7. mathieur

mathieur

Unity Technologies

This is determined by whether the project version is higher the 2017.4 and if the `UnityPackageManager` folder exists.