Search Unity

Unity Hub (0.17.1) doesn't remember opened projects.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by sand_lantern, Jun 5, 2018.

1. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Due to the nature of how I have things organized, I have several locations where project folders are stored. Unity Hub lists all projects within a certain default folder, however, the project I am currently working on is in another location. Every time I want to open it, I need to click Open, and then find the project in my file browser. I don't need to do this when just launching the project from unity, it seems to remember these locations just fine. My folder structures look like this:

Listed Project Locations in Unity Hub:

D:\Projects\Unity\<ProjectFolder>

Wanted Project Locations that I need to browse for to open:

D:\Projects\DifferentOrganization\<OrganizingProjectFolder>\<ProjectFolder>

Is this a configuration issue on my end, or a problem with Unity Hub?

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Hub remembers the location of the last project that you opened through the hub. So, if you open a project in folder ABC\AAA, the next time you click on the open, it should open the file browser in ABC\AAA, again.

I just realized the unity editor is landing to ABC instead of ABC\AAA. We will fix in our side to be similar to the editor.

Thanks for reporting this inconsistency. Stay tuned for the updates.

sand_lantern likes this.
  3. batate

batate

Hi folks... can I suggest a few of things to improve Unit Hub...

1. Make the components you select for a download "sticky"... so that if, for example, you select WebGL component for an install. that this selection remains when you next do an install unless you untick it. Its easy otherwise to forget a component you usually have present, e.g. for one of the optional build targets.

2. Under the … menu of options available for each project that has been opened can you add a "Remove from list" option to allow the list of projects to be tidied up. I usually keep previous versions of projects in a separate folder and I therefore see these older versions as they were last opened. That's fine if you want it,. and probably a good default. Bu having the "Remove from List" will allow those of us who prefer just to see the latest or a few specific versions to show.

3. There does not seem to be an installed/uninstall entry in the Windows (10 Pro 1803) "programs and features" control panel.

sand_lantern likes this.
  4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Batate,

Thank you for your feedback. The good news is all of your suggestions are planned to be developed already.

Stay tuned for future updates, and keep sending us your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
    Afshin

5. batate

batate

Excellent… another thing I spotted... when you open a project in a new (later) version and save it.. Unity Hib shows the last version against the project name unless you quit the hub and restart it.. then it refreshes the versions in use for each project So its not updating after projects are used/updated to later versions.

One more suggestion... for versions that a user has installed on their own system... if there is an "update" to that system and the user wants to replace the old version with that rather than install the later extra version... maybe some indication that an update is available to the installed version would be useful.. and perhaps a menu selection to install that?

6. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

First of all, I suggest creating a new thread for your great suggestions.

Regarding the open project, are you referring to opening a recent project (from project list) or opening a new project (from the header)? I will check both cases to see what the problem is.

Regarding the update, I suggest a new thread where I can share the link to our product team.

Best,
    Afshin

7. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

High afshinity, I am referring to a project in the Projects On Disk.

So as an example, when I fully close UnityHub and then launch it, My project list looks something like this:
    Before.png

Once I open my project, "TheRi", UnityHub looks like this:

After.png

If I close unity hub, it returns to looking like the first image.The odd thing is, new projects that I create show up correctly, and a lot of old projects I've created also do. It seems to be something special with this project. I've peeled through the various meta files and nothing looks really different other than it's a much more complete project.

8. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @sand_lantern,
    I have not reproduce the issue, would you mind providing a bit more information on your environment?
    While I don't think the log is necessary, it following may help us find the problem:
    - What OS are you using?
    - Do you have the same problem with any other project?
    - Have you tried to open the project directly with the Unity version? The integrated launcher should share the same list as Hub.

Thanks

9. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Hi @joeksy I am using Windows 10 and have been trying to keep everything completely up to date. I haven't seen this issue with any other project. This project was created before Unity Hub was available. It seems like the project is remembered when opening it directly from my installed version of unity instead of Hub.

Another thing I have tried is to rename my project folder, create a new project of the same name in hub, and then replace the new one with my old one.

Another thing of note, is that the other person using this project has the same issues as me with it not showing in unity hub. It is shared via GIT.

Is there a specific file that all unity versions use to list available projects? If I could look at that it may yield something useful.

10. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @sand_lantern,
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce the issue.
    May you check ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt under your project to see if a Version is define there?
    If not, re-adding the value in should fix your issue

sand_lantern likes this.
  11. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Yup, that was the issue. ProjectVersion.txt was an empty text file. Copying the text from one of my other projects seems to have resolved it. Seems like UnityHub should try to fix that if I open a project with an empty file like that.

joeksy likes this.