Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity hiring Nintendo Wii Developer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Feb 2, 2007.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

OTEE hiring Nintendo Wii Developer

We're looking for a developer with experience in low-level programming on Nintendo Wii, GameCube, or any other game console. You'll work out of our office in Copenhagen, Denmark, porting the Unity (http://unity3d.com) runtime to run on the amazing Nintendo Wii.

You will:
    Work with cutting edge technology.
    Be energetic and creative. We're a bustling and growing start-up, so while we will support you as we can, you be your own master and .... proactive's the word... in your approach.
    When the porting is over, we'll continue with adding new optimizations and features. Since you're a great programmer and a passionate person, you'll fit our team excellently, and hopefully keep working with us on world-class game technology.

You:
    Have good knowledge of the Nintendo Wii and/or GameCube platforms
    Are passionate about video games technology.
    If you are the great person we want and need, you'll be a central person in a growing company full of great people.

You get:
    A challenging job.
    A great team of colleagues (we're really nice people).
    A competitive salary.
    An exciting time of it.

About OTEE
    Unity provides the best physics simulation engine (PhysX by Ageia), graphics and rendering effects on par with the newest games on the market, an extremely fast implementations of JavaScript (20x faster than other implementations), flexible and fast character animation support, and totally dynamic game worlds where every single object and texture is modifiable on the fly.

Unity sports a stylish GUI, no-friction workflow, and over-the-top technical features such as extensible shaders and image effects, dazzling particles, JIT compiling scripts in C#, JavaScript or a dialect of Python, the Ageia physX Engine, skinned character animation, and ragdolls.

Unity is being used by game developers such as Codemasters and Freeverse, in game design education, and amongst creative visualization professionals.

We're based at the IT-University of Copenhagen where we have several start-ups within computer games as our neighbours.

Practical information:
    Closing date for applications: March 1st 2007
    Start date: ASAP.

Send your application as soon as possible to info@otee.dk.

More info by calling David Helgason on +45 6014 3418.

d.

2. taumel

taumel

So it's the Wii? :O

Sadly i only have to offer some GBA skills...anyway looking forward! :O)

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I guess that doesn't need an answer :)

d.

4. taumel

taumel

Well, you know sometimes it's better to ask twice if it's really true. ;O) Good choice! As much as i would like a rev2 of a PS3 for Indy developers it sounds like a good choice.

5. thylaxene

thylaxene

thanks you just made my week! I hope you have success in finding a developer!

cheers.

6. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Great news this... I hope you find another great addition to the already awesome OTEE team.

7. taumel

taumel

8. StarManta

StarManta

Good luck! Deploying Unity games to the Wii would be beyond awesome.

9. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

10. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Great News guys!!!!

Let us know when we can submit our games for publishing :)

11. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Curious, do you guys already have a Nintendo Wii development console? or are you already Nintendo Developers?

Is the thought that Unity games will be distributed through Nintendo's digital download portal?

12. milkytreat

milkytreat

.... *whips out his walltet and buys unity*
    otee has now met exceeded my expectations :O

13. AaronC

AaronC

Wicked! So this means Nintendo has opened up to Unity? This is F#*ing Great!

Now I just have to wait...ARGGG!!!!

No Seriously congrats David and others-Well done!
    AC

14. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Wow! Awesome! Great! Amazing! Fantastic! :eek: :D

This is truly great *slaps himself for just buying a Xbox 360*

15. tsphillips

tsphillips

Absolutely wonderful news! :D

16. milkytreat

milkytreat

i just finished playing wario ware smooth moves on wii,
    got some pretty nifty stuff in it :D

17. jeremyace

jeremyace

If I know the OTEE guys, there's not much point in asking as they will keep us hanging until all the pieces are in place. ;-)

Awesome news, you guys are really expanding big time. Looking forward to it.

-Jeremy

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Awesome news! Any console deployment capabilities for Unity is just amazing, but the Wii is the most interesting "choice" of the 3 (it might have been the only option available?). Not sure how all that works out business-wise.

Two questions pop up immediately for me. One is a driver for testing Wii targeted games on the Mac with the Wii controller. The Wii controller is BlueTooth right? So a Mac driver is certainly possible... one is already offered for Windows so I guess so. The other obvious question is licensing. I'm assuming this will have little to do with Unity and more with to do with Nintendo, but I am curious if we're going to see a new Unity license... "Unity Ultimate" or something priced at several thousand or more that allows for Wii deployment?

Regardless, this is fantastic news and I'm always amazed at the speed at which Unity keeps evolving.

19. sr

sr

i can tell my wii is feeling pretty happy right now!

and with software like darwiinRemote,
    one could even try to do prototyping in the meantime i guess.

20. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

I'm sure there are other ways of looking at this, but it seems logical that if you can export to Wii in Unity, the cost for the user wouldn't increase too much due to licensing (of course there are other factors that can increase cost).

As the Wii dev kits are "only" 1-3k, if i recall. That says nothing of all the effort it will take to actually output to Wii from Unity, but licensing shouldn't be the cost.

No, rather OTEE could *likely* work more as middle-ware provider in this case, and not be involved in the end-user-to-Nintendo licensing cost at all.

Again just supposing, but with this, you'd have a demo that *can* run on the Wii, but shipping it legally for the Wii is another matter between you, your publisher, and Nintendo.

(please don't quote me on any of this, just guessing based on past experience)

21. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Any luck with this yet? Just curious if the darwinRemote driver plays nicely with Unity in regards to axis stuff etc...

22. StarManta

StarManta

mental note: take that out of context to use against sr later.

23. milkytreat

milkytreat

I was doing this, but its letting darwiinremote convert the sensors to x and y mouse positions and just reading the mouse positions in unity.. nothign special but it is cool to do :)

24. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

me wants to hook up the wii-mote to Window Shake X Y...

25. phoen

phoen

There exists a modified version of darwiin remote called jarwiin remote which saves the axis values to a textfile. I got it working with unity, but a real driver would be better of course.

26. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Wow, really wow. This may be the fire under our butts that mean Ron and I actually get going again. That would be a good thing. This is really great news, guys, superb work OTEE.

27. Samantha

Samantha

I did a little bit of testing with the first version of Darwiin Remote. It was a bit of a hack but I got a stretched-out cube to tilt as I tilt the Wii remote. Basically I just rigged up the cube's transform.Translate() to MouseX and MouseY. Then I turned on Mouse mode in Darwiin Remote and viola! Of course, I was restrained by DarwiinRemote's functionality, so when the mouse moved to the edge of the screen, it stopped moving and my cube stopped tilting.

I'm more interested in how the axis output to text file works...

28. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Rock on guys! Great to see this news, good luck finding the guy for the job. Jeff

29. marty

marty

Thanks for making the "which 7th gen console should I buy" decision a lot easier for me, David!

30. phoen

phoen

31. milkytreat

milkytreat

What I did was bump the mouseX and Y to middle of screeen when it hits the window edge, and then just take the velocity of x and y and use that as my tilt input

32. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

33. AaronC

AaronC

Hey guys who have the controller-Is it feasible to set it up as a firstperson sword?
    It sounds like Sam was at first base...
    Its on my shopping list now...
    AC

34. anachreon

anachreon

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

<Had to...>

Cheers,

Luis.

35. milkytreat

milkytreat

Absolutely - in fact the first FPS features a samurai sword which you wield to strike down opponents in duels, i was VERY impressed AND ive been playing with the wiimote with unity - you could make a MUCH better sword

36. tsphillips

tsphillips

37. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

The motions were pre-programmed and only activated by certain gestures with the wiimote (though I guess a game would work similarly). Now if it had been a live feed to the robot that would have been cool. One of the guys in my lab is working on getting the wiimote to control one of our mobile robots.

Jeff

38. amcclay

amcclay

And there it is - I'll be buying Unity ASAP. This is all I was waiting for. Do not underestimate the significance of this.

We are talking about the ability for home users to create games, with a viable distribution system, for consoles for the first time, without development kits and massive budgets. The closest the industry had come to this was the 'Net Yaroze' for the PSone in the 90s and that never got traction because the net infrastructure was not there at the time (consumer playstations had no net capability to retrieve the games).

No doubt, this will be aimed at the Wii Games Channel, so distribution and licensing should not be nearly the issue it is for retail publishing. This is a huge move for OTEE and, IMO the wisest move since the Wii and nintendo philsophy will lend itself to smaller, more innovative games more so than the massive-budget oriented PS3 and 360.

Congrats and I hope you guys find your coder soon!

39. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

With the Wii outselling the PS3 in Japan 3:1, it's going top open huge markets. Stunning.

40. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Looks like the Wii is beating the PS3 in the U.S. too

41. pete

pete

heck yeah! who's against this? didn't think so.

it's a great move for nintendo! a smallish group of developers from the "creative side" with a whoopass engine/ide and a whoopass community. yeah no doubt some cool stuff will come. sure hope it happens.

whatever you guys do... please no public sale of wii controlled robots with swords! i can see myself getting the crap kicked out of me while the ten yr olds across the street are up laughing in the window. man it'd be tough walk to work everyday... :p

42. milkytreat

milkytreat

43. taumel

taumel

This almost looks like a Mech...

Hmmm what about the other way around? :O)

44. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

lol just got a funny idea when you wrotte that... place the wii controller in the robots "hand" and then push the robot slightly so it moves =P (yep, im tired ^^)

45. pete

pete

better yet... teach the robot to play :)

how far ot are we here?

well any would be hires... i think there's some interest! :D

46. taumel

taumel

...motion feedback...you can program this easily...in almost all cases this will lead to a chaotic acceleration which runs out of control...if you try to control this slighty so it doesn't run out of control it would lead to weird movements...depending on how their are visualised could look very interesting or even make fun to play if you controling a mech out of control or some other device(s) which have to accomplish a given task in a game...

47. rayBLAST-R

rayBLAST-R

Looking forward to updates on Wii progress. Btw... Nintendo Wii is a perfect choice for Unity. Given the specs, there couldn't be a better match and that is all I will say. :D

48. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

We found a guy by the way. He started working for us this week :)

d.

49. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Congrats :) Look forward to seeing him around the forum. Keep up all the great inovative stuff you are up to. Jeff

50. taumel

taumel