Search Unity

unity hdrp and android

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by kristof2000, Jul 8, 2019.

1. kristof2000

kristof2000

Is it already possible to build with hdrp to mobile or will it come any time soon?

wanting to use the new lighting features for mobile (fog and volumetric lights) . THe environments wouldnt be to complex. I tried HX lighting but if possible i would prefer unity hdrp system its way more neat.

I tried with unity 2019.1 and 2019.3 but i keep getting errors i tried vulkan alone but still gave errors. Am i doing something wrong or is it still not supported.

Thanks

2. Mauri

Mauri

As per High Definition Render Pipeline Manual:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    ina likes this.
  3. kristof2000

kristof2000

THanks for that.

Any idea at what time that will be. Would it still be in 2019? Does anyone have any info regarding this :).

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Definitely not 2019 for Android.

5. kristof2000

kristof2000

To bad, the volumetric stuff is so nice and it upgrades our basic art a lot. In hx we get to much setpasscalls and triangles. Out of the box for me HDRP is actually more performant on pc for our project (with our limited knowledge).

I am a bit confused about ios with metal is that note for the future or is it currently already working?

Thanks

6. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Future as well :)
    HDRP doesn't support mobile at the moment. It might work, but it's not optimized for mobile anyway.

7. andyz

andyz

Has this idea been dropped or will it still end up on mobile one day?

Maybe it is normal to have mobile on one graphics engine and desktop on another, but it sure is quicker to have a scalable pipeline and HDRP can be scaled down to run on most desktops

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  8. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

If you are just interested in volumetric lighting, check URP road map. It says it will get volumetric fog in the future as well. It's marked as planned: https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/tabs/3-universal-render-pipeline

9. Fangh

Fangh

HDRP list :

HRDP is only compatible with the following platforms:

• Windows and Windows Store, with DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 and Shader Model 5.0
    • Google
      • Stadia
    • Sony
      • PlayStation 4
      • PlayStation 5
    • Microsoft
      • Xbox One
      • Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S
    • MacOS (minimum version 10.13) using Metal graphics
    • Linux and Windows platforms with Vulkan

So no iOS and no android ?

10. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

No

11. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

At the risk of repeating what others have said, my understanding of this is pretty simple:

- URP is for a very broad range of target devices, all the way down to low-power stuff like mobiles (the hint is in "Universal").
    - HDRP is for mid to high-end stuff like gaming PCs, newer gen consoles, and such.

It allows HDRP to push the limits of various graphical features and bring in heavy stuff like ray tracing, while URP is all about maximum compatibility with a large range of target devices.

It sounds like URP is right for your project, given that you are asking about iOS and Android.

12. jRocket

jRocket

The problem with URP is that it doesn't scale up, it only scales down. It simply lacks a lot of features. Volumetric fog has been in the "under consideration" category of the URP roadmap since 2018. Ideally, I would like a pipeline that where I turn on the cool features like volumetric lighting/fog and screen-space reflections on the high end, and just turn those features off in the low-end. This could happen if HDRP properly supported mobile platforms.

13. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Sadly many existing HDRP features don't support (most) mobile devices, so they may still need to recreate them in an URP way even if HDRP supports mobile.

I remember that this also happens on VFX Graph. The high-end mobile support was postponed because CPU simulation hasn't been done.

The fundamental problem is that the development of URP features are too slow compared to HDRP.