Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Unity hasn't paid asset store publishers! Any compensation planned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crazycarpet, Apr 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazycarpet

Crazycarpet

So I'm sure everyones noticed by now Unity has not paid any of the Asset Store publishers due to 'technical difficulties' and really have not communicated what they are doing to solve this since Monday.

Is Unity planning to compensate publishers in any way for their (quite large) mistake? Unity is now at least 5 (or 6) business days late on paying out publishers. Do they plan to forgo some of their 'cut' to compensate for this major inconvenience or do they just plan to pay developers out whenever it's convenient for them?

To me this seems like quite a large issue especially given the fact that Unity only pays out publishers in USD... if when they finally pay out the USD has weakened are they going to compensate publishers for this? Or is this just more of a 'whoops, we'll fix it when we feel like it and that sucks for you.' situation?

2. johnniedo

johnniedo

They haven't paid publishers? Is there not some kind of agreement saying when they are supposed to pay out? sounds like this may be more of a legal issue...

Crazycarpet likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. FAQ mentions that payments are supposed to happen monthly with PayPal and quarterly with bank wires on or around the 15th of the appropriate month but that it can take up to the 21st to clear. Payments through PayPal can outright fail due to restrictions in place by some countries.

https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...and-how-will-I-receive-my-Asset-Store-payout-

That said even though the FAQ may state that they're supposed to happen on that date no guarantee is made in the Asset Store Provider Agreement aside from them being monthly for PayPal and quarterly for bank wires.

https://unity.com/legal/provider

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    CodeSmile likes this.
  4. Crazycarpet

Crazycarpet

I never said there was a guarantee, this is not a one-off thing if you view the 'Publisher' section of the forums you will see they have not paid any developers.

Not a legal issue, more that Unity has really inconvenienced all publishers on the store and it would be nice to see some accountability or at least some communication. All they have said is there was a 'technical issue' and they will maybe have it fixed within the week (which they have not done).

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

I know. I'm just pointing out how the whole thing works for someone that has a single post here and may be new to the whole situation.

I don't think I have access to that forum but I do know it's happening to other people.

It's possible they're not allowed to.

6. Crazycarpet

Crazycarpet

Ah sorry, for some reason I thought it said 'Crazycarpet said'. I must be seeing things.

I don't think the issue is so much the late payment (at least for me, I'm sure some publishers are quite upset) it is more that the only post on the publisher forum is saying that they will try to fix it before the end of the week, or by the end of the week, and provide an update 'within a day or so'. It has now been 4 business days with no more updates and no progress.

It would be nice if they could somewhat explain what has happened and when we can expect to get paid. Frustrating lack of communication.

I think it would be nice to have improved communication, some official communication from Unity other than in a subforum that few people have access to, or some compensation. Unfortunately knowing Unity none of these things are likely to happen.

7. ippdev

ippdev

I bought an asset two nights ago. It didn't show up for a while, the email was sent three hours after purchase but did not arrive till 9 hours after purchase. Yeah something back end with transactions is up as this was always near instantaneous.

8. IntuitiveGamingSolutions

IntuitiveGamingSolutions

@ippdev Yeah we've had a few repeat customers email us to say they were unsuccessful at purchasing our assets from the store. I wonder what is broken, it is really hurting the store.

One customer was particularly upset because once purchasing started working for him again our newer asset new release discount had expired. He felt like Unity was trying to price gouge and I can see why, however I think it is more likely they had lay offs or something and the employees probably just do not care or feel an urgent need to fix it.

They do not seem to be replying to support tickets either, at least not in a realistic time frame.

Hopefully they are taking "reasonable effort" to pay publishers out, doesn't seem like too urgent of a problem for them at this point though with no updates provided since Monday.

9. FastKillteam1

FastKillteam1

How highly unprofessional. I think I might switch to developing assets for Unreal. Unity has been a screw around for a while now.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ceasing sales of assets on Unity's Asset Store strikes me as just as much of a dumb idea as refusing to sell your games on Steam. You will have the occasional hiccup with this company but they likewise have far more people hitting up their asset store.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. IntuitiveGamingSolutions

IntuitiveGamingSolutions

He likely does not mean ceasing sales, it is likely he means that he will stop developing further assets for the Unity asset store which may make sense for him especially if his assets are scripts that cannot be sold on multiple stores. For him it may not necessarily be a 'dumb idea'.

Unreal has at least 2 benefits over Unity.
    1. They pay developers 88% instead of 70%.
    2. They compensated developers by forgoing their cut the last time they had a major issue.
    (That is not to say the Unity Asset Store doesn't have its own benefits over the UE Store.)

There is a lot of things to like about Unreal over Unity and for him it may be beneficial. I don't think it fair to say that his idea is 'dumb' especially given we know so little about what his plans are, or what his assets look like.

Either way we appreciate that the Unity Asset Store exists at all and hope they fix it in the near future regardless of whether or not they choose to provide compensation to publishers. It is certainly one of the best way to get eyes on assets and for developers who release animations, 3d models, or other content that can be sold across multiple stores there is really no downside to selling non-exclusively on the store.

I think many people are just frustrated by the lack of communication from Unity.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. Unless I'm way off the mark on how many sales the Unity Asset Store has versus the Unreal Marketplace it's very much a dumb idea.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  13. IntuitiveGamingSolutions

IntuitiveGamingSolutions

We also sell on the Unreal Marketplace and do very similar numbers, I'm sure that given Unitys huge presence with indie developers it likely has more eyes on the Unity store but at least for us there is little difference. Regardless we appreciate having both around.

I'm sure top sellers on Unity probably make quite a bit more than top sellers on the Unreal Marketplace.

Remember if you mostly sell scripts you could in theory put twice as much time into the other store and release twice as many assets on one, and no new ones on the other. For us we prefer Unity because we just think it is the better, more beginner/indie friendly engine (although that is completely subjective and of course Unreal undoubtedly does some things that Unity does not and vice versa). That's all I have to say on that though because I don't want to hijack the thread.

14. FastKillteam1

FastKillteam1

Screwing publishers around after taking such a high percentage is smart then?

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm just going to ignore your assumptions about what they're doing because frankly they're nonsense. Concerning the percentage, well, getting something is better than getting nothing, and nothing prevents you from having your own store independent of Unity's store. I just bought an asset bundle off of Synty's website a few hours ago.

Incidentally I'm always amused by the people who complain about the percentage but then can't be bothered to invest the one minute it takes to add their assets to their signature. You must not care about the money that much if you can't be bothered to perform basic advertising.

Antypodish likes this.
  16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Contact support or discuss in publishers forum. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.