Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback unity has no reference viewer = wtf

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Aug 3, 2021.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Ok so unity relies heavily on references and yet doesn't have reference graph after over 10 years.
    wtf
    upload_2021-8-3_11-7-14.png

sabojako likes this.
  2. Rallix

Rallix

It would be nice to have, definitely.

You can get some of this info if you try exporting an asset as a package – then it tells you what other assets it is referencing, but not the other way around (where it's being used).
    And I think tools like Asset Hunter use building the project to tell which assets aren't being used at all.
    Of course, neither of these is the intended usage nor convenient.

On a similar topic, it'd be good to be able to tell the name of a missing asset/script instead of getting “Missing (Mono Script)”, but I don't know, maybe both of these things would require Unity to save more seldom-used metadata and thus increase the size of the project.

3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

If you ever worked with UE this is a major sore point. And it's not just about cleaning up a project, some examples of usage:

- Find all materials which use a specific shader in order to check if they either still work after you changed the shader, to swap the shader by a different one, or mass change some setting.
    - Find all prefabs and objects across all scenes which use a specific script.
    - Find all references to a specific mesh, texture, sound, scriptable object, etc.

It's even worse because Unity needs to "import" all assets, it has an entire system called "asset database", but won't keep track of what references what. I regularly have to resort to using Notepad++ "search in files" function to locate GUID values inside other files.